The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Master Writs - Disappointing Rewards

O_LYKOS
O_LYKOS
✭✭✭✭✭
I read a provisioning master writ and have been holding out on buying the recipe. Jugged Rabbit In Preserves.

I costs anything up to 100K. It's a lot of money to spend on a recipe but what didn't help is that I read the writ without looking first so didn't know how many vouchers it was worth.

Over time I've scouted guild stores for it but not found it. Over the weekend a buddy of mine in my guild got it and threw it up in guild chat for 80K. I figured what the heck, i'll buy it. Helps me out, helps him out, right.

I done the writ, handed it in. My reward?...2 vouchers. Regents and runes for alchemy and enchanter writs aren't that expensive in order to complete those writs. But tri stat recipes are very expensive.

The least they could do is reward those master writ completions more vouchers, considering the impact it can have on peoples banks.
PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't price the rewards based on rarity of being able to make the item, just the mats that go into it. So any provision writ that doesn't take perfect roe pays out 2 vouchers. The easiest suggestion for others in your predicament is to sell the writ for ~$2k gold then buy a writ you can complete. Right now the c150 recipes are in such demand that the prices have been held this high since Homestead was released.

For the nerds out there, recipe drop RNG for recipe drops from containers or writ rewards works something like:

Odds the drop contains a green recipe ==> odds it's a rare green ==> odds it's a blue ==> odds it's a rare blue ==> odds it's a purple ==> odds it's a rare purple ==> odds it's the rarest purples.

Based on some rough calculations from me and my friend doing 20 top level provision writs per day, the rarest purples (jugged rabbit and velothi Malbec) have an approximate drop rate of 1 in 3200. In 18 months of doing writs almost every day we have seen exactly two copies.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I wrong, you bought a writ for 80k that gave you only 2 vouchers? 1 voucher for 40k? :o Afaik the MM average price for the writs assumes that generally 80k should give at least 80 vouchers or more since some writs cost 500g per voucher. I'd never buy so high a writ that gives only 2 vouchers. Always check the price which have to correspond with the amount of rewards.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Am I wrong, you bought a writ for 80k that gave you only 2 vouchers?

It reads to me like he paid that for the recipe and that he already had the writ quest in the journal.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loll just wait to get the "Capon Tomato-beet Casserole" .......no1 has it and nowhere to be found :s

after 2-3 weeks i decided its not worth it and abandon the quest

in general provisioning master writs dont worth the mats or the effort to find (if unknown) the recipe
    even the perfect row ones require at least 2 (8 food rations) so no
    Edited by method__01 on August 22, 2017 1:27PM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of provisioning writs I've had for ages but just can't find the recipes.

I found the recipe for one a while ago but it was 20k so I didn't buy it. Now I kind of wish I had because I haven't seen it since :(

And don't get me started on equipment writs requiring Buoyant Armiger...
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got really lucky and hit a Jugged Rabbit in Preserves recipe before I even hit champion level on my first character. It is my go to food for my max characters.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of provisioning writs I've had for ages but just can't find the recipes.

I found the recipe for one a while ago but it was 20k so I didn't buy it. Now I kind of wish I had because I haven't seen it since :(

Whoa...wait...the MW motifs are showing up in Master Writs? Is this in Update 15, as I haven't had any writs yet that asked for them (I'm on XB). Something else to look forward to... :(

EDIT: Forgot I was going to mention that I've had all the C150 purples since not long after they were released. They seemed to have a better drop rate before the Homestead update. Plus, you could buy them pretty cheap back then, since most people didn't use purple food due to min/maxing. So, no one really cared to have them and no one was really buying them. But, they're really too expensive now for the reward you actually get. I suppose, though, that paying 80k for the recipe would eventually pay for itself - if you get at least 40 MWs that require that specific recipe. :D
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on August 22, 2017 7:21PM
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Whoa...wait...the MW motifs are showing up in Master Writs? Is this in Update 15, as I haven't had any writs yet that asked for them (I'm on XB). Something else to look forward to... :(

EDIT: Forgot I was going to mention that I've had all the C150 purples since not long after they were released. They seemed to have a better drop rate before the Homestead update. Plus, you could buy them pretty cheap back then, since most people didn't use purple food due to min/maxing. So, no one really cared to have them and no one was really buying them. But, they're really too expensive now for the reward you actually get. I suppose, though, that paying 80k for the recipe would eventually pay for itself - if you get at least 40 MWs that require that specific recipe. :D

I don't know about the others, but Buoyant Armiger is definitely being requested as several of the very few (and tiny) equipment writs I got this week were in this style. Shame since they also had an issue with its drop rate in the first several weeks and now they already want it in the writs.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, you almost have to give those BA master writs away. Very few have the BA motifs to be able to complete them, so no one buys them. What a bargain for those with lots of gold who spent millions on the BA motifs, or those lucky enough to have found some motifs. So there's that.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    I bought jugged rabbit for 100K to do 6 Master writs i was holding. yes i knew it was over paying but i have had Millions in coin for the last year or so.

two week later I found Jugged Rabbit (dont recall where) but it was in my inventory, place it up for sale at 115K Bam sold in a week and made my coin back + a lttle extra. this game is about buy and selling and you can't be afraid to buy some higher price items if you need them!

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bought jugged rabbit for 100K to do 6 Master writs i was holding. yes i knew it was over paying but i have had Millions in coin for the last year or so.

two week later I found Jugged Rabbit (dont recall where) but it was in my inventory, place it up for sale at 115K Bam sold in a week and made my coin back + a lttle extra. this game is about buy and selling and you can't be afraid to buy some higher price items if you need them!

Wow, I just pulled my 9th Velothi Vintage View Malbec - yep, 8 of my characters know this recipe, and I didn't purchase any. I have a 9th character now, my warden, and was thinking of having him learn it, but now, I'm thinking I'll sell it.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Early on I bought a couple of motifs so that I could complete some higher value writs but stopped doing that and now sell the writs I cannot do.

Doing writs on 8 characters gives me more vouchers than I know what to do with - I have 4 sets of attuned crafting stations, a target skeleton, 800 unused vouchers and about 30 sealed master writs I can complete (about 400+ vouchers worth).

Am looking forward to an 'update' of the master writ system to re-ignite my interest in them. I genuinely only do the writs for purple/gold improvement mats to sell and see the master writs as a 'fringe benefit'.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    The easiest suggestion for others in your predicament is to sell the writ for ~$2k gold then buy a writ you can complete.
    agree.gif
  • Malkorga
    Malkorga
    ✭✭✭
    I received a writ today to craft psiijic ambrosia for a grand reward of 10 vouchers.

I summarily accepted then abandoned the quest
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malkorga wrote: »
    I received a writ today to craft psiijic ambrosia for a grand reward of 10 vouchers.

Why? If you don't want to do it, sell it or even give it away. I never accept unless I want to complete it.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malkorga wrote: »

Neither the rewards boxes nor the master writs from the alchemy/enchanting/provisioning lines are worth the effort for me any more. I only do the 3 other crafting writs for the improvement items but their master writs can at least provide decent voucher rewards for effort.
    Edited by disintegr8 on August 25, 2017 12:34AM
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

I don't know about the others, but Buoyant Armiger is definitely being requested as several of the very few (and tiny) equipment writs I got this week were in this style. Shame since they also had an issue with its drop rate in the first several weeks and now they already want it in the writs.

i have seen one BA and ashlander in writs

i put the BA up for sale and did the ashlanders.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."