Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Please clarify about which player skills can't be dodged/blocked (aoe, etc)

Hridhbjarn
Hello, I am getting a bit confused seeing all these threads, especially about ultimates which "can" but "shouldn't" be dodgeable or blockable... and after some research and reading through basic combat guides, I couldn't find any clear info, and of course the game tutorials is utterly useless, so please enlighten a fellow rather casual player (especially in a pvp perspective) :

- I understand that the main thing which can not be blocked are ground-target AOEs, say Liquid Lightning, correct? they can only be dodged out of?

- I understant that instant aoe attacks (like Arrow Spray... or Dawnbkreaker?) can not be dodged at all (even if you're outside the zone), but only blocked?

- what about an aoe that is targeted around and follows the enemy caster, say Hurricane or warden's Arctic Blast, can I block or dodge it?

-- Finally, and the most important question of all (again, esp. for PVP) : do Ultimates follow different rules? I understand that none should be reflectable, but what about the ability to dodge or block, say Meteor or Elemental Storm (does Eye of the Storm act differently because it moves with the caster?) or Berserker Strike or Dawnbraker?
Can a channeled ultimate like Soul Strike be bash-interrupted, dodged, or just blocked with massive stamina taxing?

Many thanks in advance for any clarifications with these! :blush:

PS to ESO : would be great to update tooltips with "this ability can not be blocked/dodged by ennemy players", but I know that would be merry-wishing! ;)
Edited by Hridhbjarn on August 20, 2017 6:37PM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a while since I read the most recent version of the rules, so forgive me if I err. I believe almost everything is blockable. There are a few exceptions like Daedric Curse and Eye if the Storm, but on the whole, blocking is a fairly safe bet. Even if it doesn't mitigate the damage of some skills, it still prevents being CC'd by them. Roll dodging is more situational. Things that are aoe are generally not dodgable, and neither are things that home in on you, like Meteor/Soul Assault.

I agree there should be a more intuitive tooltip format that makes these kinds of questions unnecessary.
  • Hridhbjarn
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I read the most recent version of the rules, so forgive me if I err. I believe almost everything is blockable. There are a few exceptions like Daedric Curse and Eye if the Storm, but on the whole, blocking is a fairly safe bet. Even if it doesn't mitigate the damage of some skills, it still prevents being CC'd by them. Roll dodging is more situational. Things that are aoe are generally not dodgable, and neither are things that home in on you, like Meteor/Soul Assault.

I agree there should be a more intuitive tooltip format that makes these kinds of questions unnecessary.

I understand about daedric curse, but for exemple, what "property" makes Eye of the Storm unblockable? It being AOE or being an Ultimate? What can counter it, dodge??
  • Hridhbjarn
    Still a bit lost, anyone knows more on these rules?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't think there're any clear rules or logic behind this. ZOS just look at the game and think "well uhhhh people block too much, let's add a random unblockable skill!"

Btw I'm pretty sure Dawnbreaker is technically dodgeable but it requires you to be out of its area of effect(which is a frontal cone), which due to the speed of the ulti makes dodging it on purpose pretty much impossible; however if you accidentally dodge right as someone DB's you, you can and likely will avoid it.

Few consistencies - ultimates generally cannot be dodged(other than dodging out of their actual area, see Dawnbreaker above). I suppose you could try to write Curse being undodgeable under it being cleanseable - cleanseable Jesus beam cannot be dodged either(which is stupid), though it can be blocked, same for Power of the Light(which imo is also stupid :D ).