The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why not bring Elder Scrolls 1 & Elder Scrolls 2 on Steam?

Digielf
Digielf
✭✭✭
Hi, sorry if this is not the correct forums to post this but the other 2 games don't have a forum so this would be the best place. What does Bethesda/Zenimax have to lose by bringing Elder Scrolls 1: Arena and Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall on Steam like the rest of their games? They only have to gain from that and they can even put a price on them even though they are acctualy free, people will buy them fast anyway because of the series being very popular. We really want to have all the elder scrolls games in 1 place and Steam is the best platform so since you have brought the rest bring 1 & 2 as well.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because, knowing Steam's reputation with old games, my precious Daggerfall would be bundled with DOSbox, and then crash and not work.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure why it's not available through Steam. They were available with the Anthology box set, which you need Steam for in order to play Skyrim.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old games have a bunch of issues on steam . Old versions of Windows they were designed for and old versions of direct X . The mod community usually has to rescue them for the developers .
  • Digielf
    Digielf
    ✭✭✭
    Old games have a bunch of issues on steam . Old versions of Windows they were designed for and old versions of direct X . The mod community usually has to rescue them for the developers .

There are many old games even from 1980 athat work fine on steam, since they have the old Fallout games it wouldn't be a problem to bring Elder Scrolls 1 & 2, if they work on newer systems when you play them from Bethesda's site then they will also work on Steam, it' the same thing.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not know where one would post such a question, but I expect those moderating the forums cannot provide an answer since the deal only with ESO.

This site may be of help since it is a The Elder Scrolls site. https://bethesda.net/community/category/111/elder-scrolls-series Either that or another place in the Bethesda forums.
  • Pseron_Wyrd
    Pseron_Wyrd
    ✭✭✭
    Either that or another place in the Bethesda forums.

As a moderator at Bethesda's forums, I can confirm that the Elder Scrolls Series forum you linked to is correct. :)
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    check gog.com. They sell a lot of old titles, and you don't have to be logged on to play them.
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • deleted210304-002304
    deleted210304-002304
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda released both of these for free quite a while ago, just give "How to install arena/daggerfall" a search on YouTube first as they can be a bit tricky to set up.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Developers definately need to remake those or upgrade graphics upto current gen!
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on August 19, 2017 7:29AM
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm playing Arena during weekly maintenance on DOSbox. You just need to find some guide how to install Arena and you'll be fine. I don't think it would work on steam. If I want to start playing I must open DOSbox folder, find ARENA and drag it to DOSbox, I'm not sure how is this really works, but it works good.
    PC/EU
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    check gog.com. They sell a lot of old titles, and you don't have to be logged on to play them.

unfortunately... while I do have them through GoG.. they don't seem to offer new copies anymore, so its whatever copies Bethesda released or basically nothing, if you don't already have a GoG copy :(
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure bethesda just doesn't wanna offer support for these games, they are old and have tons of bugs. Just imagine they would get a support ticket every time someone falls through the floor in daggerfall and forgot to save. And getting them to run in the first place can be quite an adventure too.
  • Rahotu
    Rahotu
    ✭✭✭
    why does that pile of steam even still exist?
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elfezen wrote: »

There are many old games even from 1980 athat work fine on steam, since they have the old Fallout games it wouldn't be a problem to bring Elder Scrolls 1 & 2, if they work on newer systems when you play them from Bethesda's site then they will also work on Steam, it' the same thing.
    Fallout and Fallout 2 were released for Windows, they don't require DOSBox, so they aren't in the same situation at all.

And yes, there are plenty of broken older games on Steam that you have to fix yourself. Even some relatively new ones that start falling apart if you play them on a different OS than they were designed for.

Would it be nice to have them available on Steam anyway? Probably, but they can both be legally downloaded for free elsewhere, so it's not a particularly pressing matter.
    and they can even put a price on them even though they are acctualy free, people will buy them fast anyway because of the series being very popular.
    Do you want bad press? That's how you get bad press. People would insta-buy them and then rage and ask for a refund when they find out they were free all along.
    Edited by Rosveen on August 19, 2017 9:42AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoken like someone who's never struggled to get Arena or Daggerfall working on a modern OS. There's a lot of cool stuff in TES2, but man is that game janky. I mean, "makes Morrowind look polished," janky.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Fallout and Fallout 2 were released for Windows, they don't require DOSBox, so they aren't in the same situation at all.

Fallout and Fallout 2 are positively easy to get running under a modern OS. To be fair, I think my last play through of Fallout 2 was on an XP system, but still.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh, Daggerfall. 1 of only 3 games I've literally never finished due to game breaking bugs each and every time i played it. The other 2 were Alpha Protocol and STALKER Clear Skies.

Daggerfall was a complete abomination in that respect. Good game at the time from what i did manage to play.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhh, Daggerfall. 1 of only 3 games I've literally never finished due to game breaking bugs each and every time i played it. The other 2 were Alpha Protocol and STALKER Clear Skies.

Daggerfall was a complete abomination in that respect. Good game at the time from what i did manage to play.

Alpha Protocol had some really cool ideas going for it. It just needed polish. Though, today, after we've gotten two more Deus Ex games, and with the Dishonored series and Prey going strong, it hasn't aged well.

Clear Sky was terrible. I mean, I've played through Call of Pripyat more times than is healthy, but Clear Sky was an abomination on so many levels.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Alpha Protocol had some really cool ideas going for it. It just needed polish. Though, today, after we've gotten two more Deus Ex games, and with the Dishonored series and Prey going strong, it hasn't aged well.

Clear Sky was terrible. I mean, I've played through Call of Pripyat more times than is healthy, but Clear Sky was an abomination on so many levels.

About AP, that's Obsidian through and through. A lot of their games have very good games attempting to burst out, because they're devs who "get it" if that makes sense. It's just a pity their execution/game testing is very poor and make Bethesda look positively brilliant in that respect.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian's quality and testing dept was made up from the remnants of those chimps that used to advertise those tea bags during the 80's.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    Not sure why it's not available through Steam. They were available with the Anthology box set, which you need Steam for in order to play Skyrim.

Mostly because Daggerfall and Arena are free to download from Bethesda.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

About AP, that's Obsidian through and through. A lot of their games have very good games attempting to burst out, because they're devs who "get it" if that makes sense. It's just a pity their execution/game testing is very poor and make Bethesda look positively brilliant in that respect.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian's quality and testing dept was made up from the remnants of those chimps that used to advertise those tea bags during the 80's.

QA is usually handled by the publisher. IIRC with AP, what happened was Sony hung them out to dry. Which was what happened with NV. There's a fair amount of print out there about how BethSoftworks cut the QA budget at the last minute. Arguably specifically to drive down the initial Metacritic score to avoid having to pay Obsidian royalties for their work, (which required a Metacritic score of 85).
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, sorry if this is not the correct forums to post this but the other 2 games don't have a forum so this would be the best place.

The other games don't have a place here either because it's squarely for ESO, so don't be surprised if the Admins come and lock this whenever they notice.

But no a reason Steam doesn't have the old games available is most likely just that, they're too old. You'd have to do some tech wizardry to get programming that old to run on Windows 8.1/10.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭

i think you meant from the developers.
  • ZOS_MattL
    ZOS_MattL
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there,
    We are closing this thread as it does not discuss ESO. If you would like to continue to discuss other Elder Scrolls games feel free to do so Here on the Bethesda forums.
    Regards,
    Matt
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.