Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Few new player's questions

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been playing for about three weeks and some things are still pretty unclear to me.

1a) Do mobs always scale to my level no matter where I go? It seems to be the case, and I've never seen anything like this. I'm used to outleveling certain areas and being able to freely travel around without stuff trying to munch on my ass all the time, so this is pretty new to me.
I read about the One Tamriel update, but then some zones are being described as "players are scaled to the level of content" on UESP. I don't know what to make of that.
1b) Another one about scaling. How does it work when there is mixture of lvl x-50 players in a dungeon, and everyone is whacking the same mobs?
Actually, how exactly the scaling works? What scales to what?

2) I think I read that you get less than the item's value when selling stolen items at fences, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Is this normal?

3) I get 99% of my information from UESP, and I am confused about raw materials. It says various ores are to be found in different zones of x tier and battle levelled something, BUT then I also read about this One Tamriel thing when everything got scaled according to level at that point. How does it work then?

4) Where can I find racial stones for crafting in useable numbers? They are pretty expensive to buy.

5) Are alchemy materials really so rare or am I farming in the wrong zones? I have like over 1000 iron ingots, jute, hides and whatever, and yet only like 5 pieces of certain mushroom or herbs after two weeks of almost nonstop playing.
  • Astarana
    Astarana
    ✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    I've been playing for about three weeks and some things are still pretty unclear to me.

1a) Do mobs always scale to my level no matter where I go? It seems to be the case, and I've never seen anything like this. I'm used to outleveling certain areas and being able to freely travel around without stuff trying to munch on my ass all the time, so this is pretty new to me. Mobs do scale up to your lvl. You can go anywhere, but usually you follow your main alliance questline that will take you from zone to zone
    I read about the One Tamriel update, but then some zones are being described as "players are scaled to the level of content" on UESP. I don't know what to make of that.
    1b) Another one about scaling. How does it work when there is mixture of lvl x-50 players in a dungeon, and everyone is whacking the same mobs? Everyone will get credit for killing it :)

2) I think I read that you get less than the item's value when selling stolen items at fences, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Is this normal? Not sure where you heard it. It sells for what it says it cost, unless you put some skill points into appropriate skills that will let you sell for higher price to fences. I would not put any skills into that now, since you are just lvl 23.

3) I get 99% of my information from UESP, and I am confused about raw materials. It says various ores are to be found in different zones of x tier and battle levelled something, BUT then I also read about this One Tamriel thing when everything got scaled according to level at that point. How does it work then? With raw mats you get the mat that is appropriate for the lvl of you character and for the level of that particular crafting. If your crafting matches your character's level, then you will get the same stuff. if they are not, then you will get the split. Cannot remember the actual percentage.

4) Where can I find racial stones for crafting in useable numbers? They are pretty expensive to buy. Looting boxes/sacks/etc. in Dungeons and stealing from boxes/sacks, etc.

5) Are alchemy materials really so rare or am I farming in the wrong zones? I have like over 1000 iron ingots, jute, hides and whatever, and yet only like 5 pieces of certain mushroom or herbs after two weeks of almost nonstop playing. If you have problem fining those, it might be good for you to invest 1 skill point into alchemy's "Keen Eye" skill - herbs will sparkle/glow and you will be able to see them from the distance.

Hope this helps.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1a) Do mobs always scale to my level no matter where I go? It seems to be the case, and I've never seen anything like this. I'm used to outleveling certain areas and being able to freely travel around without stuff trying to munch on my ass all the time, so this is pretty new to me.
    1b) Another one about scaling. How does it work when there is mixture of lvl x-50 players in a dungeon, and everyone is whacking the same mobs?

2) I think I read that you get less than the item's value when selling stolen items at fences, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Is this normal?

3) I get 99% of my information from UESP, and I am confused about raw materials. It says various ores are to be found in different zones of x tier and battle levelled something, BUT then I also read about this One Tamriel thing when everything got scaled according to level at that point. How does it work then?

4) Where can I find racial stones for crafting in useable numbers? They are pretty expensive to buy.

5) Are alchemy materials really so rare or am I farming in the wrong zones? I have like over 1000 iron ingots, jute, hides and whatever, and yet only like 5 pieces of certain mushroom or herbs after two weeks of almost nonstop playing.

1. Mobs don't scale to your level. If you are CP 159 or below, you scale to theirs: CP160. Once you pass CP 160 they remain that way and you gradually become more and more powerful over them. So for the 1b part of your question, it works fine because mobs are always CP160.
    2. Not sure - don't do the thieves guild stuff that much
    3. The One Tamriel update did indeed change materials nodes. 50% will be at your character level, the other 50 at your crafting level for that node.
    4. You can get the racials by deconstructing items made with that style, and by refining materials. Best bet is to deconstruct all the trash gear you get to level your crafts and get this sort of stuff.
    5. Many people running end-game content level alchemy on all their characters for the potion-use bonuses and thus, alchemy mats are farmed by more people, I think. Craglorn and Wrothgar are good places to look.
    Edited by Sigtric on August 17, 2017 8:05PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2) the fences in TG pay full price, you can even get an bonus with perks.
    However if you finish the thief guild quest chain you get an Khajiit fence as assistant, she only pays 70% of value.
    Better to use the TG fence unless you just want to sell some stolen junk.
    3) yes, now you get all materials in all zones, half is based on your actual level half on your crafting level, previous it was zone based.
    4) containers delves is an good source, so is hollow city. stealing is another one, this is also an nice source for gold since you get lots of stuff who can be fenced for 40 or 100 gold some even higher.

Note that you need to launder, not sell stuff you want to keep, Note that the Khajiit follower fence can not launder items
    You also get blueprints and receipts you can use or sell in guild, some of the blue is worth many 1000.

5) yes they are pretty rare, however doing the daily alchemy crafting quest can give you surveys who is an nice source for more.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snippety

1. As explained above, all Mobs are CP160, your scaled up to that if you less, and not scaled if your more. Note, Gear has an impact on how good the scaling is, try to keep your gear current with your levels if your sub CP160. You can be 5 to 10 levels off, or 30 to 40 CP Ranks off before you start to notice it.
    2. You only get less than face value if you use the Fencing Assistant. If you have certain passives skilled out, you can get up to 10% more than face value for fencing
    3. Raw mats are 50/50 Character Level or Material Passive Level. In other words a L4 with no points in materials is always going to see Iron, Jute and whatever the leather is. If your CP160 and no points in materials, half the nodes you see will be Ruby Mats, half will be the first tier stuff. Zones don't matter any more for this.
    4. I got all my style mats from Deconning Mob loot, which is also the best way to level gear crafting. Or refining raw mats.
    5. Alchemy you need to either turn off the grass, or put a point or two in Keen Eye for Alchemy. Then you will see lots of mats. Of course some zones are more farmed than others, and what zones those are change from hour to hour.

Note, doing Alchemy and Provisioning Writs is a great source of mats. So are low level Gear Writs. Especially if your doing them on more than one character.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scaling is really puzzling. So every damn mudcrab and skeever is lvl50+CP160? Why are there even levels in the game if there's some weird scaling going on?
    I don't suppose anyone knows at least rough math for the mechanism?

The rest of the questions is answered. Thanks.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though everything is cp160 you'll notice some trash mobs are weaker than others, various levels of toughness among bosses and what not.

Levels still exist for the sense of progression, gaining skill and attribute points.

This scaling was done to give the game a more traditional TES feel, go anywhere at any time;and make it so friends of any level could group together.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    Even though everything is cp160 you'll notice some trash mobs are weaker than others, various levels of toughness among bosses and what not.

Levels still exist for the sense of progression, gaining skill and attribute points.

This scaling was done to give the game a more traditional TES feel, go anywhere at any time;and make it so friends of any level could group together.

^This.^
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another question related to crafting.
    Where the hell am I supposed to go to get materials? EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE is constantly farmed. I've spent 3 hours desperately trying to get ANY jute for writs and ended up with maybe 20 pieces. I have plenty of time and can play in the morning, so I thought I'd have better results then, but no.
    I understand there are only two servers for everyone, but FFS what am I supposed to do? Are there thousands of bot farms or something?
  • Lady_Lindel
    Lady_Lindel
    ✭✭✭
    Where the hell am I supposed to go to get materials? EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE is constantly farmed. I've spent 3 hours desperately trying to get ANY jute for writs and ended up with maybe 20 pieces. I have plenty of time and can play in the morning, so I thought I'd have better results then, but no.
    I understand there are only two servers for everyone, but FFS what am I supposed to do? Are there thousands of bot farms or something?

Starter zones are very good for farming mats. Remember nodes do respawn. When you are a new player it feels like it takes forever but things do add up after awhile. The 3 starter zones are all small island so do a couple of circuits of them .. they also have lots of chests, but you need to be exploring to find them. Don't be afraid to go off the road to look for them.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starter zones? I had this stupid idea before. It's swarming with people and 80% of the nodes are permanently mined.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC, you can download an addon called HarvestMap, which you can use to see node locations. By default, it adds pins when you harvest nodes, but you can use the site it mentions to upload your locations and download the locations everyone else has found. It still only shows potential places (there's no "These nodes have already been harvested by other people" signal, I don't think), but you can use it to plan your harvest paths or get it to calculate them for you based on resource density in the zone you want to look in and the minimum route distance you want. The pins also help in finding resources like herbs and mushrooms if you're having trouble finding them. If you're on console, addons aren't a thing, unfortunately.

I actually really like the scaling, even though it means everything's trying to eat me. I'm normally used to games where I either over-level content before I'm done with it and need to move on to get anything, or run out of content to level at before reaching the level band for the next content and need to grind. Both are kind of unpleasant.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I do have Harvest Map :) It's just that most nodes are constantly gone :D
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah. One can never assume these things. For every new-ish person who has harvestmap, there's probably at least one who'll go "Add-ons? What the frig are add-ons?"

One of my favorite spots for material farming is the southeast quarter of Deshaan, on the harvestmap routes, though I'm not sure how overcrowded those are right now. I think part of the problem is that some crafted armor sets are really popular right now, and so people are gathering mats to either sell or make armor with. Because mats scale to the player (50% crafting level, 50% character level, give or take), where you're seeing jute or the material for your character level, they're seeing the max level crafting material.

You've just gotta keep going on your route and grabbing what you can find. Sometimes you might get quite a bit, others not so much.
  • Astarana
    Astarana
    ✭✭✭

Deconstruct all the gear that you get and that you don't need. This way you level up your respectful craft and get mats.
    It does take time sometimes to get the stuff on your first char. Do not rush it. You will get the mats and skills etc. Just enjoy the game.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starter zones? I had this stupid idea before. It's swarming with people and 80% of the nodes are permanently mined.

Not Auridon, Stonefalls or Glenumbra. Those are over farmed.

Betnikh, Bleackrock, Stros Mikai, and those are the starter islands and since your not railroaded into doing those, they are quite empty..

Also, there are lots of zones in the game, most of them are not farmed, at least from what I can see as I trip over nodes. For example, try Alikir or Bangkori or Shafowfen or Wrothgar or Reapers March
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do note also that nodes do 'level' up with you if you have kept up the points accordingly. Let me give you an example:

1) you are level 30 but have no points or level in any crafting. Your nodes will appear as jute, iron and maple, always.

2) you are level 30, have no points in any crafting but you have Levelled your crafting due to deconstructing items. Your nodes will appear mostly iron, jute or maple but occasionally will appear as whatever ore, wood node or cloth node accordingly to your crafting level.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it normal that weapons and armour don't stack in the bank? I am deconstructing stuff and there are several pages worth of identical items that just wouldn't stack.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its in your bank, you can stack it up with the given command. but if its in the guild bank, you have got to manually stack it. Dont ask me, i didnt make the rules lol. apparently guild banks have slightly different rules than your normal banks
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't work then. What command?
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dude finish the main quest(will take u 2-3 hours)/or ask a friend to tport u there and go Coldharbour for farming
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Vasanha
    This one hears nothing. Sees nothing. This one only sweeps.
    desperately need a survey assistant