The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crowns are too expensive.

Ysil69
Ysil69
Soul Shriven
Not sure who's deciding the pricing but you guys have to be out of your minds. Banker or. Merchant is a $50 purchase. Mounts are $30 a mount. Dlcs range from 20-50 dollars.

The base game only costs $40 and you're going to tell me a mount costs almost as much? I want to support this game but at these prices its not going to happen. Micro transactions are supposed to be many transactions that add up. Not an entire video games worth for one item.

How is morrowind $50 for one area and one class. The base game is $40 for the entire world and all the classes. Or osinium for that matter being $30.
  • Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pick your crown store items wisely because people like me will only buy a select few costumes, furnishings, and mounts for my character. I am ok with the prices just not ok with the crown crate exclusive items. mostly because im not a gambler.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is:
    Electricity
    Servers
    Salaries
  • Wolferatus
    Wolferatus
    ✭✭✭
    have to agree, crowns are too expensive, at leased they could make for ESO Plus Sub. a few % off as they are paying much more then peoples without ESO Plus especielly for mounts. (the new one for example if you like to get both wolfes you have to buy CE what cost 3500 crowns and incl. both dungeons you already get with Plus for free, if you buy both wolfes alone you need still to pay 3200 crowns and you dont get the 5 scrolls).

hope a sale will come this year. im still saving my crowns from my 6 month sub to buy later the dlcs if I dont make Plus again
    "Trostlos sind die Spiegelbilder eines Wolfes!."
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the newest costume is the most expensive one yet. The crowns we get with our subscription have become a joke considering they keep raising prices. They need to give subscribers more crowns to compensate for the price hikes, or else lower the prices.
  • Haruspex
    Haruspex
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I noticed the newest costume is the most expensive one yet. The crowns we get with our subscription have become a joke considering they keep raising prices. They need to give subscribers more crowns to compensate for the price hikes, or else lower the prices.

I think they keep raising the prices of items because people keep stockpiling crowns when they go on sale. If they are going to keep increasing the cost of items they should lower the price of crowns. Unfortunately, it has become so ridiculous that I will not buy crowns unless they are on sale. I am also a subscriber and find all of this to be a slap in the face.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect they would earn more money if crowns cost half as much. People would probably buy more of them. I know I am NOT motivated by these ridiculous prices.
  • Khraine
    Khraine
    Soul Shriven
    Octopuss wrote: »
    I suspect they would earn more money if crowns cost half as much. People would probably buy more of them. I know I am NOT motivated by these ridiculous prices.

100% Agree. I would gladly spend 10 bucks to gamble for a fair amount of crates. But right now it's basically $16 for 5. And in those 5 you are more likely to get the same thing over and over.

I've spent 2 months of ESO Plus crowns on Crate Packs. I've manage to get the netch pet for example 6 times. Twice in the same pack even.
    -Khraine
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I buy crowns often, but I think they would make much more $$$ if they lowered the cost on a bunch of things. Many more would buy crowns then. As the only saying goes, its better to get a small slice of a big pie than to get a big slice of a small pie.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree.

Buy them in a sale at half price and hoard them.

Wait for items you want to come on sale.- double discount.

Impatience / lack of control costs you. And ZOS calculates the half price cost as the real cost, and just rubs their hands for any that go full price, so half every Crown cost you see in essence.
    Edited by Beardimus on August 16, 2017 10:17PM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Ysil69
    Ysil69
    Soul Shriven
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Disagree.

Buy them in a sale at half price and hoard them.

Wait for items you want to come on sale.- double discount.

Impatience / lack of control costs you. And ZOS calculates the half price cost as the real cost, and just rubs their hands for any that go full price, so half every Crown cost you see in essence.

But if you even consider that method, they're making less money. I'm looking at things I want right now, and going hmmm, that's too pricey. Not going to buy it. Even if I wait for a crown sale, I may no longer want that item. I might go, phew glad I didn't impulse buy that. There's a reason retail chains leave cheap small items upfront before the till. So you buy them quickly without thinking because it's "only a few dollars". Every time someone waits for a crown sale, they're losing a sale. When someone can buy a mount right then because it looks cool and regret it later when they want a different one. And I'll say the same thing I complained about in Neverwinter Online. Stop making ONLY account wide mounts at high prices. Let us buy individual character mounts for lower prices. Not every one of my toons wants to ride the same mount.

But it is good that the crowns go on sale every now and then! I do thank you guys for mentioning that.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a limit to how many people can buy from the CS.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also feel crowns are too expensive
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    respectfully I disagree @Ysil69 , and honestly - I think ZOS strategy team do to hence how they are doing things.

Clearly those that want shiny items are still paying full price, i'm one of a few that wait for sales. So they get the big markup from those players with available income and less control on desire when a big mount drops etc.

I'm shrewd - however ZOS do get big chunks of money from me 'just in case' I'll buy 40-60k in a sale and often they sit in my account for months. So they literally get money for nothing as I cant bare to ever pay full price.

Take mount upgrades, I wait for a sale AND wait for them to be discounted to then pimp my rides.

I think overtime it works out, as I would never, ever pay full price for any of it.

Difference of viewpoint I guess. But I think my way works for both sides.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Stonyfoot
    Stonyfoot
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is expensive for the poor.
  • Simit
    Simit
    ✭✭
    Ya logged on to a pop up box asking 6000 crowns for a crafting motif on p4, genuinely did make me splurt my coffee
  • Queo
    Queo
    ✭✭✭
    Guys its real simple, the reason things are priced the way they are is because people buying them at that price. Enough people to meet the demands of the people in charge.

Don't be mad at ZoS, their first and foremost duty is to make a profit. They do that by providing you all with this game. I am glad that they use exclusive items that are purely cosmetic to do so.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say that I saved a lot of money because of those prices. I really wanted some of the costumes or mounts and waited for them, but when I discovered their price I passed. Like the elk mount for example.
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delpi wrote: »
    I must say that I saved a lot of money because of those prices. I really wanted some of the costumes or mounts and waited for them, but when I discovered their price I passed. Like the elk mount for example.
    I passed on the elk for that reason, too. I had the money to buy it if I'd wanted to, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a single digital item for a game. I do want an elk mount some day, but not if it costs that much.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the sales stop coming in then ZOS will lower the prices. Simple economics. Obviously people are fine with the prices over-all(Large majority) and continue to purchase things in the crown store.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ysil69

Zos is not out of their mind selling them for that much. It is selling. That determines the price. Return on the investment made creating it and all those items seem to be selling just fine.

As someone pointed out, buy the crowns on sale, cuts the cost almost in half. Crowns have gone on sale many times since the banker was added. Another sale will come and anyone who really, really wants something but wants to save some cash will wait.
    Edited by idk on August 18, 2017 12:33PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any proof of that? Like an official statement.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any proof of that? Like an official statement.

Yes, basic logic... Last I checked, infinite people dont play a game. Not all players have disposable income as well

If half the players buy it at 6k, and 100% buy it at 2k, where do they make more?
    Edited by notimetocare on August 18, 2017 1:37PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a limit.
    What you said implied that the store only allows so many purchases or something similar, but that has nothing to do with what can people afford.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They know targeting whales is more profitable then average spenders , otherwise they would of reduced the cost .
  • Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the crown store power creep is real.
  • Electrone_Magnus
    Electrone_Magnus
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is people buy and support expensive cosmetics. See the elk was the most expensive mount but since very few bought it, we saw cheaper mounts like the sabre cats and the spider mount. So if you want to reduce the price of crown store items, you need to make sure the people who buy the overpriced stuff know that they are making it harder for the majority to acquire these items so that they don't keep supporting it and we all see reasonably priced cosmetics.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysil69 wrote: »
    Not sure who's deciding the pricing but you guys have to be out of your minds. Banker or. Merchant is a $50 purchase. Mounts are $30 a mount. Dlcs range from 20-50 dollars.

The base game only costs $40 and you're going to tell me a mount costs almost as much? I want to support this game but at these prices its not going to happen. Micro transactions are supposed to be many transactions that add up. Not an entire video games worth for one item.

My guess is that half, probably more, of the players in the game get Crowns with an ESO Plus subscription. This undoubtedly results in some inflation, since they want these people to also buy Crown packs.

They have never said how they set prices, but is appears to be a combination of how popular the item will be, how much the market will pay, how many Crowns are out there, and how "rare" they want the thing to be. Yes, I think they deliberately use high prices to reduce the number of sales, while still raking in a suitable number of Crowns. Ultimately, it is not how many people buy an item, or how much the item costs, but how many Crowns people spend over time. The goal is to deplete reserves so that people buy more of them from Bethesda, preferably when they are not on sale.

The bottom line is that no one really needs to buy Crowns, or anything from the Crown Store. (Especially Crown Crates) If the price is too high, simply don't buy it. If the price is acceptable, buy it. I find that works well for me, personally.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It hardly causes any inflation. I got 9000 or so crowns by subscribing for six months. That's only enough for one expensive mount and... few minor items.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want some cheese with that whine?