The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Legendary Motifs?? - How/where???

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam
✭✭✭✭✭
I keep seeing people selling legendary (gold) motifs. Where do you get these because they definitely aren't for sale in the crown store. Example Imperial. Ebony etc etc
Joined January 2014
PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
Lims Kragm'a
Bam Bam Bara
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »
    I keep seeing people selling legendary (gold) motifs. Where do you get these because they definitely aren't for sale in the crown store. Example Imperial. Ebony etc etc

Most are rare drops. For example, the Imperial motif is a very rare drop. But, Ebony is acquired with writ vouchers. I believe it takes 300 writ vouchers to acquire the full Ebony style or 25 vouchers per chapter.

If you go here: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/motifs/ you can find details about the various motifs including how crafted gear looks and typically it tells you where you can find them.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you have all the pages (chapters) of a particular style, you can creat a motif (book)?
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • danielclarkb16_ESO
    danielclarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So if you have all the pages (chapters) of a particular style, you can creat a motif (book)?

I'm not quite sure it works like that. Chapters work slightly different to a book, the books let you craft all armour pieces of the style, where as a chapter only lets you create the legs or the body etc. So if you wanted to create the full set, you'd need to have all the chapters, you don't create a book with them, you just learn the style for all the individual pieces instead.
    Edited by danielclarkb16_ESO on August 16, 2017 10:28AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm not quite sure it works like that. Chapters work slightly different to a book, the books let you craft all armour pieces of the style, where as a chapter only lets you create the legs or the body etc. So if you wanted to create the full set, you'd need to have all the chapters, you don't create a book with them, you just learn the style for all the individual pieces instead.

Right, the chapters don't combine into a full book - you have to read all the of chapters individually. However, some people have been extremely lucky to have the full motif book drop, which, when read, lets you learn the entire motif, rather than having to find the individual chapters.

Imperial only drops as a full motif book, and is very rare. It's a basic race style, so it's just like the blue ones for the races or the purple ones (Ancient Elf, Daedric, etc.). But, I believe that every new motif that releases in chapters, has a very small chance of dropping the complete book. Most people probably sell those since they can make a fair bit of gold at once or they may have already learned a few chapters before finding the complete motif.

Bottom line is that these things are very rare drops.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Right, the chapters don't combine into a full book - you have to read all the of chapters individually. However, some people have been extremely lucky to have the full motif book drop, which, when read, lets you learn the entire motif, rather than having to find the individual chapters.

Imperial only drops as a full motif book, and is very rare. It's a basic race style, so it's just like the blue ones for the races or the purple ones (Ancient Elf, Daedric, etc.). But, I believe that every new motif that releases in chapters, has a very small chance of dropping the complete book. Most people probably sell those since they can make a fair bit of gold at once or they may have already learned a few chapters before finding the complete motif.

awesome. thank you for the repplies :) Where do they actually drop? I'm guessing veteran hard mode PvE?
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

awesome. thank you for the repplies :) Where do they actually drop? I'm guessing veteran hard mode PvE?

Well, they would drop the same way that the individual chapters do - which is varied. Dwemer, for example, drops from any dwemer container (urns, pots, etc.). Morag Tong, on the other hand, drops from the Hall of Justice daily reward boxes. Ra Gada drops from treasure chests in Craglorn, while Ancient Orc drops from the two public dungeons in Wrothgar.

Here's a good thread which lists all the motifs and where the get them, as well as the style material:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/260228/all-motifs-updated-list/p1

• Latonia
    Latonia
    I have found the Imperial book twice, once from thieving the ship in Vulkhel Harbour and the second from a bag elsewhere in Auridon so uber hard mode definitely not needed. I was shocked when I got the first one and speechless when the second one appeared a few weeks later.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latonia wrote: »
    I have found the Imperial book twice, once from thieving the ship in Vulkhel Harbour and the second from a bag elsewhere in Auridon so uber hard mode definitely not needed. I was shocked when I got the first one and speechless when the second one appeared a few weeks later.

Imperial is needed, however, if you intend to craft the set for other players ... or are going for the general character motif achievement and Motif Brown rare dye.

That said, I have never found one in the 3+ years I've been playing the game. I'll bet many other ESO vets have had the same occur.

So, congrats on your finds ...

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 18, 2017 1:43AM
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    <snip> That said, I have never found one in the 3+ years I've been playing the game. I'll bet many other ESO vets have had the same occur.
    So, congrats on your finds ...
    My experience playing since beta is the same as Tale's, I've never found the Imperial Motif in the wild. I ended up buying one off the guild stores years ago.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • capper123
    capper123
    ✭✭
    i found an imperial in a delve and found the xvikyn book in ic sewers.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    capper123 wrote: »
    i found an imperial in a delve and found the xvikyn book in ic sewers.

Must be nice to be the RNG's Favorite! LOL (wish i was!)
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my three years playing the game I've found the Imperial motif 3 times and a golden Celestial book once, so the drop chances are pretty slim.
  • Thawmahs
    Thawmahs
    Soul Shriven
    I got the thiefs guild drop from just doing one heist i was pretty happy
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thawmahs wrote: »
    I got the thiefs guild drop from just doing one heist i was pretty happy

What platform? If PS4 NA would you be willing to sell? :)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bam_Bam wrote: »

No. You can learn one page (chapter) at a time or the entire book. Pages cannot be combined into the book.
  • AgentOrangeR
    I got the imperial in the rift, killing some overland mobs around a delve. I was shocked. as for other motifs I usually do dailies in summerset/wrothgar/vvardenfell. I also got a motif from delve bosses and geysers in summerset.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, I have never found one in the 3+ years I've been playing the game. I'll bet many other ESO vets have had the same occur.

christ no. #%*& that. we just bought the imperial edition from day dot and were done with it.

PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
    L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
    L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
    L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
    L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
    L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
    L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
    L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
    L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
    L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
    L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
    L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
    L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
    L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
    L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
    L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
    L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
    L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
    L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    About 6 months ago, I found an Imperial in a Backpack close to a Dolmen.
    That is probably my share of luck on such things for some years to come!

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been playing since 2014 and have obtained the Imp Book twice. One time it was in Cyrodiil in some random town, so I have no idea if Cyrodiil ups the chances and/or if your chances also increase after you have found your first one since I found the second one not long after finding the first.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meesha1170 wrote: »
    Been playing since 2014 and have obtained the Imp Book twice. One time it was in Cyrodiil in some random town, so I have no idea if Cyrodiil ups the chances and/or if your chances also increase after you have found your first one since I found the second one not long after finding the first.

I played beta, then picked up the game January 2015 and have been playing ever since. I have never picked up any gold books, just bought it. That being said, I would think that it would make sense that you have a better chance of picking up the imperial book in Cyrodiil, but have no idea if it actually does or not....
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing a few years and haven't found any gold motifs, including the Imperial style. I do indeed search every possible nook and cranny, looting every item. So some folks appear to simply have better luck than others or chances are higher somewhere that I don't frequent (ie Cyrodiil as I loathe PvP).
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.