The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Shadow vs Warrior/Apprentice.... What's the point of Shadow?

NotMemes
NotMemes
Here's a quick test of a single bow light attack crit with a sharpened weapon, between the Shadow mundus and the Warrior mundus.

fc9dc204bb0779308cdf52bc11b058c8.jpg

So, I ask you, what is the point of the Shadow mundus now? Seeing as the Warrior mundus out performs it at it's designed function...
Long time scrub
250 ping extraordinaire
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess its just because it looked good before. Also sad about shadow getting destroyed.
    The nerf to crit set bonuses and mothers sorrow would've been enough to balance it out, there wasnt that much of a difference to other setups.
  • Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The warrior provides more base damage and outweighs the increase of crit damage from shadow. That's what it looks like, anyway.
  • Darkdex
    Darkdex
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Is this intended?
  • Goatman2006
    Wow, now that's funny. Guess I should try to the apprentice on my magsorc.
  • NotMemes
    NotMemes
    I just don't get it, there is no situation in which the Shadow is a better choice than Warrior, as the Warrior does the same thing as Shadow, and then some.

The only time I can see Shadow ever being used, is with Twice-Born Star, being used alongside the Warrior, however, I don't see when that combination would ever be wanted.
    Long time scrub
    250 ping extraordinaire
  • NiclasFridholm
    NiclasFridholm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats kinda sad and funny at once, lol
    Tobias Funke - Magplar since forever

• Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't. Just more proof that ZOS prefers to balance this game off of feelings rather than mathematics.

• DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Behold as they nerf Warrior and Apprentice... :s
    Edited by DoonerSeraph on August 15, 2017 1:29PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff like this really makes me wonder how they do their balancing. Do they just close eyes and poke finger at random number on the num pad? I mean, obviously balancing such a huge environment with so many factors in question is far from easy but c'mon...it doesn't take a genius to figure that if there're 2 things and thing 1 does function A and thing 2 does functions A and B then there's absolutely no point in existence of thing 1 unless it does function A better than thing 2...
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    anyway it's not good zos job but,
    this test was on templar/nb(+10% to crit damage) or dk/warden/sorcerer(no crit damage bonus)?
    @Anethum from .ua
  • NotMemes
    NotMemes
    This was on a stamina DK with no crit bonuses, with 6 divines gold, 1 infused purple
    Long time scrub
    250 ping extraordinaire
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't judge the two based on light attacks.
    They scale far better with weapon damage than anything else.

Warrior is a fixed damage increase.
    Shadow is a scaling damage increase based on your regular damage and crit chance.

Shadow is probably still better than warrior for high end builds, while warrior might be better for low damage non optimized builds.
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    I am really glad I already planned for this. I was currently crit and pen based but after the nerfs I just switched to flat damage and regen mostly knowing they would over nerf what they were obviously out to nerf.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »

Shadow is a scaling damage increase based on your regular damage and crit chance.

Shadow is probably still better than warrior for high end builds, while warrior might be better for low damage non optimized builds.

Do you have testing to back that up? All the testing I have seen shows Warrior and Apprentice are far better for top-tier builds than the other stones.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't you hit the same target to eliminate variables?
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the mundus stones be showing up in your buff panel? Or did that change with the latest patch/addon update?
  • NotMemes
    NotMemes
    2888b56ef09d301e8565281eaf732d15.jpg

Here's a side by side of 2 proper parses, i would like to think that I can be considered high end DPS.

I chose to do light attacks, because the crit values are variant on a whole lot of buffs/debuffs, as you can see some max crits are higher on one and on the other
    Edited by NotMemes on August 15, 2017 2:15PM
    Long time scrub
    250 ping extraordinaire
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NM...
    Edited by kojou on August 15, 2017 2:17PM
    Playing since beta...
  • NotMemes
    NotMemes
    That was my bad, you must have got in before i fixed it, i copied two warrior parses instead of the shadow one
    Long time scrub
    250 ping extraordinaire
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NotMemes wrote: »
    That was my bad, you must have got in before i fixed it, i copied two warrior parses instead of the shadow one

Lol... sorry... I looked at it again and saw you fixed it.
    Playing since beta...
  • Gamanoid
    Gamanoid
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, Warrior and Apprentice will be adjusted™ to be equally as pointless
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to change my shadowscale argonian mundus stones for a 3% increase in damage.
    Signature

• PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like see the apprentice specifically. Warrior in medium armor takes the 12% buff. Obviously that will make the warrior out perform the other 2, apprentice or warrior in HA does not get buffed and I think the performance would be more in line.

Also la is a poor test as weapons scale off of the character sheet weapon or spell stat 40x and almost no magicka/stamina while skills scale 10.5x weapon/spell and then equally with magicka/stamina. For these reasons you should perform the test again.
    Edited by PS4_ZeColmeia on August 15, 2017 3:30PM
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »

Gilliam basically confirmed OP's test as well, and he does a far better job at looking at the mathematics behind it all than ZOS ever will.