Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Anyone else experiencing low DPS with magicka sorcerer?

Folkbandit
Folkbandit
✭✭
Hi,

I'm not a seasoned player by any means but I'm CP 225 and the most DPS I've gotten with a target skeleton is 9k. Most of the time it's 6.5k. I know there are many factors that go into the DPS you're getting and I've been aimlessly trying to figure it all out but a lot of it's going past my head I guess. I've been using Alcast's mystic guide as a foundation. I had all the armor for his updated build slotted beside the Iceheart helm. The Mother's Sorrow stuff wasn't that hard to obtain, nor was the Julianos obviously. I understand why he chose those 2 sets, I understand the Mundus Stone change as well. I noticed he removed it today for whatever reason but I know at CP 225 I should be able to maintain at least 15k dps on a test dummy or am I wrong?

My rotation skills aren't perfect, improving but not perfect, my animation canceling skills are not the greatest but everything else seems OK. Does perfecting rotation and animation canceling really bring your DPS up to such a significant amount or could something else be up? Guildies tell me not to worry about DPS right now. Thing is I'm not necessarily worried, I just want to troubleshoot and fine-tune the issue to get an average number for my CP level. Learning more each day but not quite there yet.

Let me know what you think. I can provide you with my gear and stats if you'd like to see them.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotation and animation cancelling really brings up your DPS

CP also do

You should practice your rotation, put your dots on the ground, bar switch, notice the crystal frag when he pops as this is important part of your DPS (if you play with it), switch bar again maybe 2s before your dots wear off and refresh them

use addons like Action Duration Timer if you're on PC to help you on the timing. If no you can use a clock for the first few times.
  • Folkbandit
    Folkbandit
    ✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Rotation and animation cancelling really brings up your DPS

CP also do

You should practice your rotation, put your dots on the ground, bar switch, notice the crystal frag when he pops as this is important part of your DPS (if you play with it), switch bar again maybe 2s before your dots wear off and refresh them

use addons like Action Duration Timer if you're on PC to help you on the timing. If no you can use a clock for the first few times.

What skills should I be looking at to increase DPS with CP?
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP increase your DPS in general and should be adapted to your gameplay. If you copy Alcast gameplays they are optimised for him but pretty good in general so you should be fine.

However CP225 will clearly pull less DPS than CP660

As mag sorc you need to always have elemental blockade and liquid lightning on the ground. Then use your pet and curse if you use pets, or you curse + main skills if you go without them. Before the blockade and lighting goes off you switch back to them and recast them

You need to have bound aegis on both bars
  • Folkbandit
    Folkbandit
    ✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    CP increase your DPS in general and should be adapted to your gameplay. If you copy Alcast gameplays they are optimised for him but pretty good in general so you should be fine.

However CP225 will clearly pull less DPS than CP660

As mag sorc you need to always have elemental blockade and liquid lightning on the ground. Then use your pet and curse if you use pets, or you curse + main skills if you go without them. Before the blockade and lighting goes off you switch back to them and recast them

You need to have bound aegis on both bars

I have all of that except I don't use pets.