Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Vet Maelstrom Help

Aideian
Aideian
✭✭✭
Okay so I've already beaten normal maelstrom a couple times to get down the mechanics easier when I do it on vet but every time I attempt vet mael I can never beat it, I don't have any trial sets or master weapons which I know helps out a lot I've tried doing mael on my magtemp and magsorc and could never do it on either I use a pet build for my sorc seducer and julianos and my templar I use julianos and war maiden my problem when I do it is I always run out of magicka and end up dying if I try and go full dps I run out magicka to fast on both is there any tips or advice to help with my resource management? Or maybe different sets to use, I'm really stuck on this and I really want to beat it I could have the right set up already I just don't know the correct rotation I guess to keep everything steady.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Information on where you are stuck could help us help you.

Sorc just go heavy attack pet build. No resource issues there.

Templars don't jab spam in there, can't be sustained anymore unless you run a Lich back bar.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about running lich on the templar because of that and I guess where I'm stuck at Is you say there's no resource issue but for me there is for some reason maybe I use skills when I shouldn't and waste magicka? I didn't know if I should rely totally on pets or also try and dps everything down but when I do that my magicka is basically gone and I can't shield myself and die in seht's flywheel the pets always go for the clockwork sentry's and im left with everything on me and again I die because I cant sustain myself.
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    You need to explain stuff better to be honest;

[1] What skills are you using for the pet build?
    [2] Are your champion points based around the Heavy Attack benefits? How many CP have you got?
    [3] Do you use a lightning staff, hold down the heavy attack in order to gain resource in between fights or when your magicka starts to get low?
    [3i] Are your weapons gold?
    [4] You're stuck on Stage 4?
    [5] Have you tried vet dungeons to get Monster sets? Ilambris works well if you're on console, not sure about the new patch
    [6] You could attempt a normal trial or even veteran in order to get a set like infallible aether or moondancer
    [7] Have you got tri-stat potions?
    [8] Do you understand the mechanics in Veteran? Know which mobs to prioritize etc..?

All of this will help understand where you are at in Maelstorm.
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice I ever received for VMSA.

1. Always look at the death recap and determine which mob is killing you. Make that mob you number 1 priority the next time.
    2. Go and die a lot in VMSA. The only thing that will help you is time and experience in this content.

In the beginning this content is very daunting. Once you have died between 50 to 100 times inside this content will you start to understand what needs to be changed in your build to beat this specific content. Each stage is different and you can use different skills in order to beat it if you have too. Once you really start to understand the spawn locations and what are the priority targets you will beat VMSA. I personally spent lots of time and experienced lots of deaths before beating it. I am no special player or pro gamer. I do not have some sort of gamer super power. Time is your friend and you must be willing to use some of it in order to beat the content.

Good luck
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    I had 500 deaths I reckon on my first successful run.

Before that, I tried it on a stam DK, got to stage 5... couldn't do it after hours of trying and I quit ESO.

Then I returned, with a sorc, and I completed it. It makes you so angry..

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    I'll start with skills so on front bar I use blockade of fire, liquid lightning, twIlight pet, crystal frags, familiar and fiery rage as my ultimate, on my second bar I run, twilight, hardened ward, crushing shock power surge and familiar and ultimate I would use meteor but I don't have it on this char yet so I use devouring swarm. I do use monster sets I have every monster set almost and I use skoria for the health I do have ilambris, my champ points wise I am max champ rank and I'm assuming you mean the staff expert skill? When you talk about the heavy attack benefit if so I only have 7 in it and I use a lightning and inferno staff and the inferno is gold my lightning isn't and I wouldn't necessary say I'm stuck on 5 if I could say I'm stuck on any it's the ice one I can't remember the exact name but it's the one with the ice platforms and I could never kill him fast enough at the end that's the farthest I've goten on vet is to him.
    Edited by Aideian on August 15, 2017 4:58PM
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    If that is your front bar then you've got it the wrong way round. Blockade & liquid should be back bar. You also want pets on both bars so they stay active when you switch bars.

You need 100 points in the champion point that returns magical on heavy attack.

Mages guild would be a good one to level also use thunderous storm ultimate on the back bar.

You should gold both weapons for extra damage and then heavy attack when you are low to restore magicka. Keep your hardened wars up all the time. It doesn't cost much and it'll save you from dying or being 1 shot.

Use power Sigil on last boss at the end to finish him.

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    Hope that helps. Watch YouTube maelstrom guides, read about sorc builds from people like Alcast and apart from that just keep doing it. Learning from your mistakes and getting through it stage by stage.

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's alot to answer there.

Resource problems are countered with heavy attacks as others have said so pace yourself with adds etc

Power surge and DOT must be up all the time for the heals.

Ice, pace yourself kill the adds when they spawn. Bosses health % controls when he breaks platforms and when adds spawn. So leave him alone clear adds, etc and end up on platform with defensive sigil use it for adds and power sigil to burn boss
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    I try hard to get the occasional "awesome" or "agree" but it never seems to happen?!

...my info is legit mannnn.

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

• Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the help guys I'll use the advice I think the resource management is the only thing I was really struggling with.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    i had 287 deaths on my first complete so... get prepared for a hard and verry desperating time there.

i did my first complete on a 5 necropotence 3 willpower 2 infernal guardian (helps alot in vma) and random golden staffs ha pet mag sorc

no trial equip nor master weapons are needet. its all about mechanics.
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to vMA your priorities should be the following:

1. Mechanics: Doesn´t matter what gear, or how many CP you have. If you don´t learn the mechanics you´re done. Best way to get comfortable with mechanics is to spend time in there. Determination and detication is the key.
    2. Read #1
    3. Read #2
    4. Gear: Gear is more important than CP IMO. If you don´t have any trial gear try to get agility (for stamina users) or willpower (for magicka) jewels. Then go with whatever crafted set that work for your class