Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Do Crafting Skill Points Matter for Surveys + Gold Mats?

bhagwad
bhagwad
✭✭✭✭
My alt character is Lvl 50 in Enchanting. But she has 0 points in potency/aspect improvement. If I do the enchanting writs, do I have a lower chance of getting enchanting surveys or gold mats because I haven't put any points into enchanting?
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Also, can I transfer the surveys onto my main who has 10 in Enchanting to get higher quality mats from the survey?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bhagwad wrote: »
    My alt character is Lvl 50 in Enchanting. But she has 0 points in potency/aspect improvement. If I do the enchanting writs, do I have a lower chance of getting enchanting surveys or gold mats because I haven't put any points into enchanting?
    Survey maps drop at the same rate no matter what writ level you're at ... so you're good there. Gold mats, on the other hand, have a better drop rate the higher writ level you're at.

Edit: Also, can I transfer the surveys onto my main who has 10 in Enchanting to get higher quality mats from the survey?
    No. You'll see a Roman numeral tied to the name of the survey map ... which indicates the level of mats found at the survey site.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 3, 2017 3:18PM
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Survey maps drop at the same rate no matter what writ level you're at ... so you're good there. Gold mats, on the other hand, have a better drop rate the higher writ level you're at.

No. You'll see a Roman numeral tied to the name of the survey map ... which indicates the level of mats found at the survey site.

Oh, I see. Well then, I guess I gotta put those points into improving the levels!
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    what? As in I, II, or III? That only denotes location. My main collects all my surveys and gets level goods from it.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what? As in I, II, or III? That only denotes location. My main collects all my surveys and gets level goods from it.

I'll be back in the game tomorrow to check this ... if I am wrong apologies ahead of time.
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭

Not on the survey. On the writ reward box/case. Surveys are numbered too. But he is referring to the number next to the writ reward.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All the Roman Numeral does is identify which of the locations in that region the survey is located. The survey rewards are fully determined by the 50-50 split like any other material run (and based on the character that redeems the survey, not the character that got it, and yes, they can be passed to a higher level crafter through your bank as they are account-bound).
    Edited by Tevalaur on August 4, 2017 5:07AM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for the hirelings, even if you have the level at max, if you don't have points into the skill that increases the level you can craft, your hirelings will get the mats and resources according to that level (so 0 points into that skill, but lvl 50 leather/cloth crafting will still only get you jute or raw hide)
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bhagwad

As others have said, whatever mat level a toon picks up, that's what they get from surveys. So transferring to a higher level toon is worthwhile.

But as an add'l note, there are a few passives that can also help determine which toon you want to harvest. Ten Champion Points in The Lover offers a chance to increase the yield from nodes. It's a bit unclear whether survey nodes look at this, or if they have their own mechanism, but my assumption has always been that a Rich node is a bundle of 5-6 regular nodes, and that when you harvest it, the return is something like silk, 3+3+3+3+3+3=18. With the passive each run its own RNG and can double, offering a yield of 18-36. This would explain the variance in yield, but like I say I never tested w/o the passive to see if it has its own RNG.

75 points in Lover speeds things up. Not necessary, but very convenient. Of course, this is the recovery tree so almost any vet will be investing here anyway.

• victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    @bhagwad But as an add'l note, there are a few passives that can also help determine which toon you want to harvest. Ten Champion Points in The Lover offers a chance to increase the yield from nodes. It's a bit unclear whether survey nodes look at this, or if they have their own mechanism, but my assumption has always been that a Rich node is a bundle of 5-6 regular nodes, and that when you harvest it, the return is something like silk, 3+3+3+3+3+3=18. With the passive each run its own RNG and can double, offering a yield of 18-36. This would explain the variance in yield, but like I say I never tested w/o the passive to see if it has its own RNG.

75 points in Lover speeds things up. Not necessary, but very convenient. Of course, this is the recovery tree so almost any vet will be investing here anyway.

Yep, the Plentiful Harvest CP bonus affects surveys too, though ime it doubles the whole survey node. It's always fun to see a string of (Ruby Ash 18) (Ruby Ash 19) (Ruby Ash 38) (Ruby Ash 18) in my loot history. :D

And I strongly recommend the Master Harvester CP bonus (halves the time to collect nodes), but it's like the crafting bag: once you get used to it, it's hard to go back. It's a thing to keep in mind when choosing Cyrodiil campaigns.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used level 1 crafters to farm the survey maps for the equipment crafts.
    Writ tend to cost 30 material and you get 25 mat back, always level 1 and you tend to run into nodes playing the alts.
    Feed maps to master crafter and have him collect them.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.