Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can problems with home lighting please be addressed?

Haruspex
Haruspex
✭✭✭
I'm almost afraid to ask this because a few of my favorite light sources were changed/bugged in different ways after a recent patch and have yet to be fixed (e.g., Fires of the Wilderking, Hope of Rivenspire, Imperial Alter of the Bay, Craglorn Sconce and Craglorn Brazier, Hanging Lantern and Common Hanging Lantern). I also know that there were some problems with lighting during the Homestead PTS but there still seems to be issues.

Some blue flamed lighting hardly gives off any light at all (High Elf Chandelier, Fires of the Wilderking, Imperial Alter of the Bay, Replica Stone of Ashalmawia). I'm also confused as to why a small group of Daedric Candles gives off quite a bit more light than a High Elf Chandelier which is larger and has much bigger flames? In fact, the Daedric Candle sets are some of the only blue flamed light sources that seem to have any glow to them.

A lot of chandeliers do not give off much light, period. Lighting seems to be really uneven even while comparing different types of the same category. For instance, the Daedric Chandelier recently sold by the luxury furniture vendor gives off a ton of light, so much so that it can light up a decent sized room entirely with no other light sources needed. However, the Breton Chandelier is very dim and mostly just lights up my ceiling..

It's a big struggle to decently light up a large home considering I have to place multiple light sources fairly close together which eats up my spaces very fast.
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid a small fortune for the High Elf Chandelier diagram but was disappointed at the weak output. It looks great but needs to be brighter.
  • Haruspex
    Haruspex
    ✭✭✭
    reiverx wrote: »
    I paid a small fortune for the High Elf Chandelier diagram but was disappointed at the weak output. It looks great but needs to be brighter.

I bought two a while ago when they were still pretty expensive. I was disappointed that they brought basically no light to the room whatsoever. While I love the look of the blue flames on them they don't function well at all.

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Common Hanging Lantern is the one that drives me nuts. I have a few of those in my outdoor spaces, and it was so nice to be out in the yard at night, the lights swinging slightly in the breeze. Now, they're all still and dead. :(

With most lights, the issue doesn't seem to be the brightness... it's the radius that's the issue. That's why chandeliers seem so dim: they're hanging in the middle of the air, so their light hits nothing except maybe the ceiling. Radius is the reason you have to put lights so close together, otherwise you end up with patches of perfectly okay light among a field of darkness.

Honestly, if they just turned up the ambient light of the house interiors, the issue wouldn't be so stark. :/
    Edited by BlackSparrow on August 3, 2017 12:28PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Haruspex
    Haruspex
    ✭✭✭
    The glow effect around the flames of many lights does need to be adjusted. I can float a candle inside my chandelier and make it much brighter but that isn't very practical considering the item limits that we have now.
    Edited by Haruspex on August 2, 2017 6:59PM
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haruspex wrote: »
    I'm also confused as to why a small group of Daedric Candles gives off quite a bit more light than a High Elf Chandelier which is larger and has much bigger flames? In fact, the Daedric Candle sets are some of the only blue flamed light sources that seem to have any glow to them.
    Because, magic.
    Daedric candles presume otherworldly materials (I'd guess), thus they provide more light.
    For instance, the Daedric Chandelier recently sold by the luxury furniture vendor gives off a ton of light, so much so that it can light up a decent sized room entirely with no other light sources needed.
    Again, probably Magic.
    Though I'd like to know if that is the "official" reason by Z0$.

I've found that in general, lights obey the inverse square law with respect to distance, but all Daedric illumination tends to violate this law both in brightness and distance, though Ive no proof of this with respect to the actual rendering engine.

Its also interesting to note (and irritating I might add) that most Braziers were changed with a recent patch to all give off a very bright "halo-glow" that ruins the lighting effects for which they might otherwise be used.
    Only a few do not do this, and Im tempted not to name them in case Z0$ goes and changes them, too.
    Edited by OmniDo on August 3, 2017 12:28AM
  • Haruspex
    Haruspex
    ✭✭✭
    OmniDo wrote: »
    Because, magic.
    Daedric candles presume otherworldly materials (I'd guess), thus they provide more light.
    You have a fair point but, as far as I can tell, regular candles seem to give off almost the same amount of light as Daedric Candles. I have no idea lore-wise, but wouldn't all blue flames be considered magic? I suppose some forms of magic could be stronger than others. Even if this is true, I don't think it excuses why most blue flamed lights give off almost no radiance at all. Also, I just noticed that my Dwarven Brazier, Eternal is quite bright and similar to Daedric Candles.
    Its also interesting to note (and irritating I might add) that most Braziers were changed with a recent patch to all give off a very bright "halo-glow" that ruins the lighting effects for which they might otherwise be used.
    Only a few do not do this, and Im tempted not to name them in case Z0$ goes and changes them, too.
    That is one reason why I hesitated to post this, I fear instead of being fixed it could actually get much worse. I did notice that a few braziers and other light sources were changed to a very unnatural yellowish bright glow. It is definitely not up to ESO standard and I hope very much that they reverse/fix this. There are a couple blue flamed braziers that messed up at the same time and lost half of their flame (Fires of the Wilderking and Imperial Alter of the Bay). Also, some light animations were lost so I hope that this was a bug and not intended because it was very poorly done. I had to remove those items from my house or turn them off because they are just so unappealing to me now.

Edited by Haruspex on August 3, 2017 2:29AM
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this diminished light from the blue braziers you speak of is also the reason why I recently noticed that the Wedding Flowers I set to float in my cistern months ago suddenly look no where near as impressive at night as I recall them being...
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All light sources in housing instances seem to have a reduced radius.

I have 12 sconces and a chandalier in my Strident Springs main area and it's still barely visible in there.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish they would take away the extreme hazy glow from the Fires of the Wilderking and the Nord triple torches. They actually hurt my eyes to look at in game and don't give off much light.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "haze" only applied to some Braziers and torches, and not others.
    After a few updates ago, they added it to almost all Braziers, or Brazier-type light sources.
    Apparently, its an "outside" effect where the extra halo-lightning can be seen quite often in various locations.
    Its an optical trick meant to give off the illusion of greater light, when it reality all it does is ruin the scenes.
    If there were an option to "Disable Light Halo's" or some such, then perhaps we could enjoy the lighting effects more.
    But this would also change the behavior of any light source that had any kind of "glow" effect at all, methinks.
    Edited by OmniDo on August 3, 2017 11:13PM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm also confused as to why a small group of Daedric Candles gives off quite a bit more light than a High Elf Chandelier which is larger and has much bigger flames? In fact, the Daedric Candle sets are some of the only blue flamed light sources that seem to have any glow to them.
    Because, magic.
    For instance, the Daedric Chandelier recently sold by the luxury furniture vendor gives off a ton of light, so much so that it can light up a decent sized room entirely with no other light sources needed.
    Again, probably Magic.
    Though I'd like to know if that is the "official" reason by Z0$.

I've found that in general, lights obey the inverse square law with respect to distance, but all Daedric illumination tends to violate this law both in brightness and distance, though Ive no proof of this with respect to the actual rendering engine.

I stopped using braziers because of the bloom halo glow. It's too strong, even with bloom turned off in my settings it doesn't effect the bloom of these braziers. I ended up getting rid of them.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disliked the halo effect so much that I removed all of my orcish braziers and sold them in the guild store. When I first crafted them they didn't have that effect.
    LasertoothGM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity Xbox/NA
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lighting in Mournoth Keep (Bangkorai) is so dim that I've actually stopped using the house. I'm glad I got it with gold and not real money.
    I have a few other houses that don't have that problem, so they really need to brighten that house up a bit.
  • Haruspex
    Haruspex
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to say thanks to the devs that fixed the Common Lantern, Hanging and Mehrunes Dagon Brazier.

Unfortunately, many of the items listed above are still broken :'(
    Edited by Haruspex on August 15, 2017 2:13AM
  • Bellamy
    Bellamy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad that the hanging lanterns are fixed! Still sad about the orcish braziers and their halos because they make things a lot harder to see in some cases, and I also wish there wasn't so much issue with some items not casting any shadow or blocking any light (such as shelves that you may put candles on).
    @Be11amy
    PC | NA | CP340
    Rhase | Dunmer | Magplar DPS
    Jo'lli | Khajiit | Warden Healer
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the "haze" effect on some fires and braziers is not pleasant at all. I pulled a lot of those out of my house because they ruin the ambiance.

Lighting does need a second look. Much of the lighting seems to illuminate horizontally and upwards, but not downwards - You hang a chandelier and the ceiling is lit up, the floor not so much.

In a perfect world, each light source would have some sliders to adjust/toggle haze and increase/decrease effect radius a little so we have a more input in how they illuminate the property.

It's only data - the storage impact would be minimal and some controls would allow a lot more flexibility (and reduce complaints)

I'm also still waiting for a global permissions toggle that would only allows "Decorators" to turn my lighting on and off...
    PS4NA