The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Console Players Accidentally Rejecting BG Ready Checks

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
At least a dozen times, I've been in the BG queue while navigating the menu, and just as I go to hit the "back" button, the ready check pops up and I leave the the queue on accident, only to deal with the brief re-queue lockout. This poor design is infuriating. However, I've found the best work around for console users, and want to share it with others dealing with this affliction.

After joining the BG queue, only use the "close menu" button, don't use "back". "Close menu" is the same button you press to open the menu screen. The "back" button allows one to go "one-level" back in the menu, which can be more efficient, but leads to the ready check rejection problem. Only using the "close menu" button means always having to navigate the menu "top-down" while in the BG queue, but at least there are no unintentional rejects. And it only takes 1 out of 12 people in the ready check to reject it for everyone to be re-queued. If people adopt this method, perhaps we will see fewer super long ready check loops.

I know this seems kinda obvious, but for me, hitting the "back" button was such an ingrained behavior that using the "close menu" button didn't dawn on me for some time. Getting used to using it is a little annoying, but worth it. I just hope this helps others dealing with the same problem, and in turn, helps everyone.
Edited by MurderMostFoul on August 1, 2017 6:30PM
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, the ready check notification shouldn't be a pop up that overrides the menu screen you are on. It should continue to be the notification at the bottom of the screen to hold the menu button down to decline or accept. Just have that notification visible while in the menu.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the button section should change.

Personally I like a pop up, means you can get on and craft or bank etc whilst waiting.. But button needs to change
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Honestly, the ready check notification shouldn't be a pop up that overrides the menu screen you are on. It should continue to be the notification at the bottom of the screen to hold the menu button down to decline or accept. Just have that notification visible while in the menu.
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I agree the button section should change.

Personally I like a pop up, means you can get on and craft or bank etc whilst waiting.. But button needs to change

Agreed.

A design change would be ideal. But until we get it, use my work around. It allows for full menu usage while in the BG queue with no risk of accidental ready check rejects.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learned this the hard way myself
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • HeathenDeacon
    HeathenDeacon
    ✭✭✭
    yeah its all stupid.
    when i q with friends we jsut accept the fact its gonna happen over and over again.
    The messed up part is I think this is part of the reason we all get these endless ready check scenarios where it will say 'one player declined'.

Regardless, its a horrible system to queue for a game.
    There really needs to be lobbies or something more functional.
    its just not fun to have to sit and tell the game "YES I'M F-ING READY FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME!"
    i can't even imagine the grief say a game like overwatch would get if players had to sit at the startup screen and "ready check" over and over and over again.
  • Stiltz
    Stiltz
    ✭✭✭
    At least a dozen times, I've been in the BG queue while navigating the menu, and just as I go to hit the "back" button, the ready check pops up and I leave the the queue on accident, only to deal with the brief re-queue lockout. This poor design is infuriating. However, I've found the best work around for console users, and want to share it with others dealing with this affliction.

After joining the BG queue, only use the "close menu" button, don't use "back". "Close menu" is the same button you press to open the menu screen. The "back" button allows one to go "one-level" back in the menu, which can be more efficient, but leads to the ready check rejection problem. Only using the "close menu" button means always having to navigate the menu "top-down" while in the BG queue, but at least there are no unintentional rejects. And it only takes 1 out of 12 people in the ready check to reject it for everyone to be re-queued. If people adopt this method, perhaps we will see fewer super long ready check loops.

I know this seems kinda obvious, but for me, hitting the "back" button was such an ingrained behavior that using the "close menu" button didn't dawn on me for some time. Getting used to using it is a little annoying, but worth it. I just hope this helps others dealing with the same problem, and in turn, helps everyone.

I've been having the same problem. One way around this is just to hit the start button to get out of the menu instead of back.