The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to test dps on dummy

zeus1gdsm
zeus1gdsm
✭✭
So I've been. Googling and searching for 30 minutes on how to actually test dps. But cant find a thread on specific method... as in dps for 60 seconds , kill the dummy or what have you......Previously I have been testing on target skeleton for one full rotation getting 10k dps. Over 10 seconds.

Am I supposed to actually kill the dummy to get a true dps test?

I have noticed that if I do more than one rotation my dps is higher.

This is self buffed. With no group assist debuffs.

This is on console.
Edited by zeus1gdsm on July 31, 2017 10:33PM
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing the dummy will give best results. You can try ending combat mid way but the result will be lower because of the dead time. 10s is way too low
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    K thanks. I'll test again tonight after work... be curious to see what my dps actually is. Feels like 10k is low vs the gear and rotation I have
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeus1gdsm wrote: »
    So I've been. Googling and searching for 30 minutes on how to actually test dps. But cant find a thread on specific method... as in dps for 60 seconds , kill the dummy or what have you......Previously I have been testing on target skeleton for one full rotation getting 10k dps. Over 10 seconds.

Am I supposed to actually kill the dummy to get a true dps test?

I have noticed that if I do more than one rotation my dps is higher.

This is self buffed. With no group assist debuffs.

This is on console.

So this is just how I and my friends do it:
    We do solo tests to compare our builds and assisted with buffs / debuffs when trying to see what it would look like in a raid setting. We use the 6million dummy, since you can cheese the 3million one quite easily and it doesn't properly test your sustain as with a 30k+ dps it is killable in a minute and a half or less.

Depending on your setup and class you will notice an early high amount of dps that drops off, or a dps that builds over time and hits its peak maybe 15-20seconds into a fight. Which probably is why you got higher dps when you did more than 10 seconds.

The reason why I would dps test on a 6million target dummy is because in dungeons and trials a lot of fights will last several minutes and thus it is worth knowing how quickly you can do all that damage. It usually takes me a little below 3 minutes to do the 6 million damage now, but in the past it would be closer to 3½ minutes, though I have improved my rotation/ build a lot since then. By dpsing the dummy until it dies every time you will naturally practice the most optimal rotation, because you are constantly repeating it over and over, and master sustainability, which since Morrowind has become a big issue for a lot of people.

Testing only 10 second intervals would only really be useful in pvp scenarios, but then a target dummy wouldn't really be a proper target for that and you would be better off asking a friend to act as a dummy or testing it in actual pvp, since pvp builds involve other things than simply being able to do damage.
    Edited by Saturn on July 31, 2017 11:46PM
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    Thanks Saturn I'll test on both to check my sustain
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    So in testing I got 15k dps... one gold staff. 2139 spell dmge. 50% CRIT..... BUFFED AT 2535 spell damage.... running illambris, necro 5, netchs 4. Gold spell damage glyphs on purl jewelry for 174 each.

Rotation is daedric prey, ele drain, blockade, liquid. Frags on proc. Weaving each skill as best I can... CRIT surge for buff.

How can I increase my dps? Gold the other staff? Have 42k magicka.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could find an enemy with 200-500k hp, i think Craglorn have them. Then test your DPS on them (only 1 ofcuz).
    Mobs with 32K too small for testing, almost insta kill them, this doesn't show anything. And dummys with 3-6 millions of HP are too big imo, especially for starting DPS'ers. Find something middle.

Also you could use a realtime DPS meter and just watch current DPS. Then you (probably) may use that 10 seconds of fight against dummy ) And don't forget that some classes, like Templar, can skyrocket their DPS on execute stage.
    Edited by mocap on August 1, 2017 9:28AM
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hit dummy until it dies to death. That's really it.

If you can't sustain through a 3m dummy fight, there's something fundamentally flawed about your build. As you get better, your rotation flow and skill output will only get smoother, so your resource drain is only going to get worse.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scamp, LL, WoE, Prey, Power Surge. Rage
    Scamp, F Pulse, Wrath, I Light, Ward. Meteor

Dot, dot, dot, swap heavy/ pulse weave x 2 swap.

Ele drain only refresh every 30 seconds or not at all with other morph. Drop ulti when ready. Maybe pop inner light, barswap then ulti for mages guild passive might of the guild. IDK. Mages wrath after target below %20 but only 2~4 times and swap to keep dots up. Execute range may be better for meteor if not enough ult for Rage.

I'm terrible DPS but get around 23k solo easy, no sustain issue. Maybe swap ward for Ele drain.

Bar setup is important. Inner light and meteor on spamable bar for passive reasons and makes ward bigger. Only use rage ultimate unless almost dead and only enough for meteor.

I would swap that 4 netch for moondancer, willpower or IA. Or go 5 netch, 5 Necro maybe? Legendary weapons are a must for vet level.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU