The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bad FPS. Where is the bottleneck?

CheepsNSalsa
CheepsNSalsa
✭✭✭✭
Radeon R9 390 8gb vram GPU
AMD FX-6300 CPU
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3 ram

I've always had poor performance in ESO on med-high settings. Sometimes my fps dips to 10-15 in 4 man dungeons. Usually about 25-30 fps in the open world. I'm not super knowledgeable about this kind of stuff so maybe someone can tell me for sure what the issue is. I'm guessing CPU but can't be sure. Anyone have a better idea?
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is well doccumented to be in the CPU.

The game tends to utilize core 0 above all others. Almost exclusively, in fact. Meaning your performance with ESO is entirely dependant on your single core performance.

Which is why AMD CPU's tend to have more issues and lower performance with this game. Having played on two builds, one with a AMD CPU, I tell you that it is much better on an intel processor.

Even if your AMD CPU is really really good (And most are known for their multithread performance, not pure core power) it comes down to how much you can get out of your motherboard combo, which sometimes throttles it for power reasons.

My advice? If your performance is in the ground it wont get better, this has been an issue since the thieves guild update, possibly before. Pick up stakes and leave.

@CheepsNSalsa
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on July 31, 2017 5:54PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I adjusted some settings and it worked miracles for me. It takes a while to read and implement but its really worth it. Also be sure to install and run the Unpark CPU program.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3jjoql/are_you_having_fps_issues_wih_eso_on_a_pc_well/
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Denyiir
    Denyiir
    ✭✭✭✭
    SSD or HDD? I gained 30-40(!) fps by ditching my old disk and buying ssd some time a go. Apparently it matters in MMOs. Also strong cpu is a must like other said.
  • PsychoROFLit
    PsychoROFLit
    ✭✭✭
    wait for Update 15, they wanted to make optimization, but im not sure ;/
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They will reduce the active friendly effects on screen I think, should help with fps quite a bit.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Jurand80
    Jurand80
    ✭✭✭✭
    i went from sdd back to hdd coz the game keeps growing and growing but i don't miss the sdd. loading times are long af on both. no difference in fps between them.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ZoS actually went through their code to spread the processing out among cores a while back and send a bit more to the video cards. It helped a bit, but really, they can't milk much out of that without rewriting from the ground up.