The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Screen freeze when playing - ESO still works when it freezes?

Knarize
Knarize
Soul Shriven
Hello!
I'm asking on this part of the forum too.

Could really use some help from people who may have more knowledge about this occurring problem of mine.
A few days ago I got this new built PC with some old, but never-used AMD graphic cards (Dual-X Radeon R9 280X), I'm using crossfire tech and ESO plays perfectly fine and is above 60 FPS when playing.

The problem is that I'm having this screen freeze after everything from 5-40 minutes of gameplay. The screen freezes usually when I'm riding/walking around in game, and never when I'm idle. The thing is that I can still hear the game playing music and I can still play the game, its just that I just can see the last frame of the game when it froze. I've tried multiple solutions from the forums here and other sites + reinstalling the game ect. I've also tried to exchange graphic cards with a friend and the problem occurred on my friend's PC, meanwhile with mine where I replaced the R9 with a nvidia card ESO worked perfectly fine. The whole problem is so weird, because my graphic cards works so well with other games. For example I played Prey (2017) with high res for hours without any problems. But it seems like ESO doesn't support my AMD cards or drivers that well?

Are there someone here that knows a way to fix this issue without having to get myself a new graphic card?
Thanks in advance! :)
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you put your GPU in your friend's PC and noticed he/she then got the problem as well, did you update their PC to the latest driver version? (Or rather; did you both run the same driver version when encountering the problem?) If so, using a newer/latest driver could be the issue here. Try starting fresh with the driver from the CD that came with your GPU, or if that's really old and/or you don't have that anymore you can download an older driver from the AMD website as well. 17.7.1 and 17.7.2 have been giving my BF and myself problems in several games, including something similar to what you're describing here. I rolled back to 17.6.2 and everything works like a charm now. :)
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Knarize
    Knarize
    Soul Shriven
    lnsane wrote: »
    When you put your GPU in your friend's PC and noticed he/she then got the problem as well, did you update their PC to the latest driver version? (Or rather; did you both run the same driver version when encountering the problem?) If so, using a newer/latest driver could be the issue here. Try starting fresh with the driver from the CD that came with your GPU, or if that's really old and/or you don't have that anymore you can download an older driver from the AMD website as well. 17.7.1 and 17.7.2 have been giving my BF and myself problems in several games, including something similar to what you're describing here. I rolled back to 17.6.2 and everything works like a charm now. :)

Yes, we had the same latest drivers. I followed up on your suggestion and it unfortunately did not work :/ Even tried an older version of the drivers. Did not have a CD for the graphic cards either. Seems like I just gotta get myself a new card if I ever want to play ESO on that PC. But thanks again for telling me this!
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that didn't work for you :disappointed: I'd hoped it would be a software issue.. Maybe it could be the crossfire itself that's giving you troubles? Not all games fully support that.. (though you did mention it works fine on ESO before your crash) Don't really know what else to try, to be honest.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Knarize
    Knarize
    Soul Shriven
    lnsane wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that didn't work for you :disappointed: I'd hoped it would be a software issue.. Maybe it could be the crossfire itself that's giving you troubles? Not all games fully support that.. (though you did mention it works fine on ESO before your crash) Don't really know what else to try, to be honest.
    Yeah it froze when crossfire was off too, oh well, I guess theres a reason for an upgrade now :) Thanks for all the help.