The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Mag/Sorc dps build

heartburnkid
heartburnkid
✭✭✭
I do decent dps but need the extra....'oomph' to blow things away. I use liquid lightning, volatile pet, lightning form, destruction staff lightning wall, the destruction staff Ultimate, and I use a shield for survivability. I have 450 cp modded for max magic and put the rest into crit and magic recovery as well. Plus max magic in my attributes. The gear is all burning mage (name may be wrong I am awful with names. I think it's scathing mage) so I don't know what is missing here. My staff is lightning as well if that helps.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First of all you dont want any magicka recovery on sets in pve, just use heavy attacks to restore resources. Spec everything into max magicka or spell dmg.

Second, you need more than one set to get the most out of your build. For example, 2x ilambris 4x infallible aether 5x necropotence.

Third, quality (and trait*) of your weapons is very important so make these gold if you have found the sets you like. Its not expensive to make everything purple so it shouldnt be lower than that. Note, with the next update things are changing a bit so it might be smart to wait before using gold upgrade mats.

Forth, optimize your CP distribution. You'll want 75 points into Thaumaturge to get 10% extra dmg against off-balance targets for example. There are plenty YT videos that show the important CP stars to invest in as magicka sorc.

And finally, improve your rotation. This is by far the biggest dps boost. Light attack in between attacks and animation cancel skills with long animations like Wall of Elements.

*Weapon traits will change with HotR update so its hard to say which will be best. Precise or sharpened will be the safe bet I guess.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on July 29, 2017 1:54PM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • heartburnkid
    heartburnkid
    ✭✭✭
    First of all you dont want any magicka recovery on sets in pve, just use heavy attacks to restore resources. Spec everything into max magicka or spell dmg.

Second, you need more than one set to get the most out of your build. For example, 2x ilambris 4x infallible aether 5x necropotence.

Third, quality (and trait*) of your weapons is very important so make these gold if you have found the sets you like. Its not expensive to make everything purple so it shouldnt be lower than that. Note, with the next update things are changing a bit so it might be smart to wait before using gold upgrade mats.

Forth, optimize your CP distribution. You'll want 75 points into Thaumaturge to get 10% extra dmg against off-balance targets for example. There are plenty YT videos that show the important CP stars to invest in as magicka sorc.

And finally, improve your rotation. This is by far the biggest dps boost. Light attack in between attacks and animation cancel skills with long animations like Wall of Elements.

*Weapon traits will change with HotR update so its hard to say which will be best. Precise or sharpened will be the safe bet I guess.

Thanks man. So far I noticed a big change. Recommend dropping the self shield in favor of more dots?
  • JKith
    JKith
    ✭✭✭
    If you download the "My Build" add-on from esoui.com and post a screenshot, we'll be able to see your build and actually give you info you can bank on.

There are so many aspects to a build that can increase your DPS, having every part of your build shown will really help you out.

As far as DPS abilities, Liquid Lightning, Elemental Blockade, Volatile Pet, Deadric Prey and Destructive Clench is all you need. You’ll definitely want a shield too for trials and dungeons, it’s literally a life saver!

Also, rotation is a big thing,.. you’ll want to do Liquid Lightning -> Elemental Blockade -> Volatile Pet -> Deadric Prey -> Bar Swap -> Clench -> Heavy Attack -> Start over, in that order. There are other rotations too, this is just one. Using your Ultimate and potions on cool down of corse. This is for PvE btw...
    Edited by JKith on July 30, 2017 3:09AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks man. So far I noticed a big change. Recommend dropping the self shield in favor of more dots?

Glad to hear you already see improvent.

I usually keep a shield on my front bar because it makes survival very easy. My bar setup for dungeons looks like this:

Front bar: Liquid Lightning, Wall of Shock, Daedric Prey, Volitile Familiar, Hardened Ward - Ice Comet

Back bar: Mages Wrath, Power Surge, Dark Conversion, Boundless Storm, Volitile Familiar - Elemental Rage

This setup isnt ideal because its lacking Inner Light on the front bar. In trails you can drop Power Surge (if you run spell power pots) or Dark Conversion and put Liquid Lightning there instead. Now you have room for Inner Light on the front bar.

I chose this setup because I returned to the game recently after more than a year and was mostly soloing normal dungeons to get my rotations workig again. Rotations are always very personal so switch some skills around and see what works best for you. Just keep in mind to have at least one destro staff skill on each bar.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer