The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So Miat's PVP addon can detect stealth players even when they are in stealth state?

cyx54tc
cyx54tc
✭✭✭✭
Just did some testing with my friend, and it seems like that addon is able to detect player even if they never get out of stealth state.

Scenario tested: I am in stealth state and I use snipe. The moment I channel the spell my friend receives a warning about me sniping him. Even if I cancel the skill immediately after cast with block, which allows me to stay in stealth and not reveal myseal. The addon is able to detect it.

Same thing with Ambush. The moment I used ambush the addon detects it, even if I canceled it and stayed in stealth.

Some ppl have been saying that we have over estimated what the addon can do, but able to detect players directed spell even if they never get out of stealth state looks broken to me.

Edit:
Just to make this more clear. The addon is able to detect direct spells even if the spell was never fired (canceled) and the player never get out of stealth. If you don't have the addon you won't see or hear a thing.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_AntonioP Can we get some official statements on this matter?
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyx54tc wrote: »
    Just did some testing with my friend, and it seems like that addon is able to detect player even if they never get out of stealth state.

Scenario tested: I am in stealth state and I use snipe. The moment I channel the spell my friend receives a warning about me sniping him. Even if I cancel the skill immediately after cast with block, which allows me to stay in stealth and not reveal myseal. The addon is able to detect it.

Same thing with Ambush. The moment I used ambush the addon detects it, even if I canceled it and stayed in stealth.

Some ppl have been saying that we have over estimated what the addon can do, but able to detect players directed spell even if they never get out of stealth state looks broken to me.

Wait, wasn't that feature discontinued ? How is this *** still happening ?
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detect players? No, they disabled that. Detect incoming attack? Always, afaik, and the fact that it remains leads me to believe it's WAI.

@Dorrino Input, Mr. Miat?
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • cyx54tc
    cyx54tc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »

Wait, wasn't that feature discontinued ? How is this *** still happening ?

from what I have heard. They broke other things after they applied the fix but they cant fix the new issues. Thus they reverted the change and marked this as "working as intended"
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hang your heads in shame, ZoS!
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    Detect players? No, they disabled that. Detect incoming attack? Always, afaik, and the fact that it remains leads me to believe it's WAI.

ZOS prevented detection (and identification) of players around you, unless they attack/heal/buff you specifically.

The addon does not detect enemy players in stealth. The addon 'detects' attacks being made against the player, whether they are stealthed or not. The addon doesn't know if the player attacking you is in stealth or not.

Currently ZOS stance is that you should know about other players if they attack you and shouldn't if they just stealthing around.
    Edited by Dorrino on July 29, 2017 10:19AM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In-built "block now" combat cue does the same. It is just less selective.
    Edited by Leandor on July 29, 2017 10:21AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So is it deemed OK to use this then? It wouldn't normally be something I'd go for, but if a few people are using it, then everyone using it would level the playing field would it not?
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detects or not, if you have to use this kind of *** addon, you suck like 5000w vacuum.

NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorrino wrote: »

ZOS prevented detection (and identification) of players around you, unless they attack/heal/buff you specifically.

The addon does not detect enemy players in stealth. The addon 'detects' attacks being made against the player, whether they are stealthed or not. The addon doesn't know if the player attacking you is in stealth or not.

Currently ZOS stance is that you should know about other players if they attack you and shouldn't if they just stealthing around.

It is entertaining. When Zos chose to abandon the UI they originally build and have players develop add-ons instead they were warned that controversy would develop. Over three years later and this. Of course those of us around shortly before the game launched remember the heated debate about add-ons which does pale to this discussion.
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only addons I use are for RP and I still spank some telling you when to block etc butts
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its the worst add-on if you're trying to gank ppl but its probably the best add-on if you're tired of being ganked
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There's an audio cue even if you snipe from stealth.
  • Absolut_Turkey
    Absolut_Turkey
    ✭✭✭
    Add-ons? Pfft. Training wheels more like it.
    Omniel Morningstar - Khajiit - Nightblade
    Veyron Galerion - Altmer - Sorcerer
    Star-Caller - Argonian - Templar
    Aradriel Nightwood - Bosmer - Warden
    Vermillion Alexander - Imperial - Dragonknight
  • cyx54tc
    cyx54tc
    ✭✭✭✭

The main difference is that the API lets you know about the attack the moment one presses the button as oppose to the skill has been triggered and is on the way.
  • cyx54tc
    cyx54tc
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

There's an audio cue even if you snipe from stealth.

If you read it carefully you will see that the snipe never got fired. All I did was I hit the button (addon detected) and immediately canceled it. So if you don't use the addon you will not see or hear anything.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This seems pretty cheesy. I'm glad this isn't on console.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maikon wrote: »
    mb10 wrote: »
    Thank God I play on console

None of these stupid add ons that help you. Who knows what else is out there?
    I'm sure there's stuff that blocks certain attacks for you or pulls off quick combos for you

Then some of these pc players come here with "master race" looool your gaming environment is toxic

Except we know exactly what else is out there...

There is a database with every add-on. Add-ons aren't hacks. They use the game's API. We know everything they can and cannot do.

LOL, you have no idea what's out there..... Unlike miat's add-on that ZOS blocked part of, there are some out there that take FULL advantage of the API, which is why they're private.

The API is publicly available. You can know exactly what add-ons are possible and which aren't.

Yes but there is a difference between knowing the list of possible ingredients and knowing what can be made from those ingredients and absolutely a difference between those and what is on sale at the local esoui bakery.

Consider - what if mists had never been released to esoui? What if it continued a small private maybe guild wide add-on. We would likely never had known it was doing all that it did that prompted action and changes.

Now lets assume mists was not and is not the pinnacle of PvP helper add-ins, just a decent one that was made public.

That does not seem an unreasonable hypothesis.

But until and unless ZOS implements an add-on white list system where the game refuses to run any non-zos-approved stuff, we cannot say with any confidence that we know what add-ins are in play.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently start a cast time attack like frags just to see if someone is using the addon. If I see them immediately dismount and start blocking and dodging, I just follow them around in stealth casting and cancelling causing a notification to pop up on their screen over and over and over again for up to 5-10 minutes.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait group DPS addon was removed by ZOS but this addon can still be used?

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Maikon wrote: »
    mb10 wrote: »
    Thank God I play on console

None of these stupid add ons that help you. Who knows what else is out there?
    I'm sure there's stuff that blocks certain attacks for you or pulls off quick combos for you

Then some of these pc players come here with "master race" looool your gaming environment is toxic

Except we know exactly what else is out there...

There is a database with every add-on. Add-ons aren't hacks. They use the game's API. We know everything they can and cannot do.

LOL, you have no idea what's out there..... Unlike miat's add-on that ZOS blocked part of, there are some out there that take FULL advantage of the API, which is why they're private.

The API is publicly available. You can know exactly what add-ons are possible and which aren't.

Yes but there is a difference between knowing the list of possible ingredients and knowing what can be made from those ingredients and absolutely a difference between those and what is on sale at the local esoui bakery.

Consider - what if mists had never been released to esoui? What if it continued a small private maybe guild wide add-on. We would likely never had known it was doing all that it did that prompted action and changes.

Now lets assume mists was not and is not the pinnacle of PvP helper add-ins, just a decent one that was made public.

That does not seem an unreasonable hypothesis.

But until and unless ZOS implements an add-on white list system where the game refuses to run any non-zos-approved stuff, we cannot say with any confidence that we know what add-ins are in play.

While this is correct in the sense that knowing API might not be the same as knowing what can be made out of API, the whole situation gets overblown all the time by people mentioning that 'nobody knows what private addons people have!':)

The API is heavily limited in what it provides to the addons.

For instance there's no way to know map or 3d coordinated of enemy players. The API just doesn't provide that information.

There's no grey area as in 'smart people can do what ZOS prevented them to do to gain advantage'.

Anybody familiar with the API can immediately answer you what is and what is not possible to do in the addons.

What i did in the initial implementation of pvpalerts i just examined WHAT the API provides and found out it provided information about other players around me. There was no trick, no obscure information. The API, plain and simple, just had been telling anybody that 'unit #xxxxx casted cloak' or 'unit #yyyyy started blocking'. And in a separate place the API provided that 'unit with the name zzzz with id #aaaaa swapped its weapon bars'.

The only not straightforward thing i did was i remembered in the addon that unit with id #aaaaa had the name zzzz.

And that's literally it.

Btw, people who are afraid that 'there're many unpublished addons that give huge pvp advantage' are welcomed to ask specific questions in this thread as to what is possible and what is impossible to do with the API. I'll do my best to provide the answers.

Cheers!
  • SnubbS
    SnubbS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds beautiful—need this on Xbox asap.
    Xbox NA: SnubbS
    GoW eSports player & part time ESO Pug Ball Zerger.
    GB
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another topic that will be put on ignore.
  • Meld777
    Meld777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw, people who are afraid that 'there're many unpublished addons that give huge pvp advantage' are welcomed to ask specific questions in this thread as to what is possible and what is impossible to do with the API.

Every time I kill someone who has the addon, that person should get a fat red message on his screen saying "You just got owned by Meldanen! Learn to play, scrub!", followed by an "achievement unlocked" called "Meldanen's [snip]". Please? :p

[Edit to remove censor bypass.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on July 30, 2017 1:00AM
    Maelstrom Arena Champion | Undaunted | Fighters Guild Victor

Level 50 Magicka NB | CP160+

nAA | vCoH1 HM | nSO | nCoA2 | nDSA | nMA | vVoM

PC EU
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meld777 wrote: »
    Btw, people who are afraid that 'there're many unpublished addons that give huge pvp advantage' are welcomed to ask specific questions in this thread as to what is possible and what is impossible to do with the API.

Every time I kill someone who has the addon, that person should get a fat red message on his screen saying "You just got owned by Meldanen! Learn to play, scrub!", followed by an "achievement unlocked" called "Meldanen's [snip]". Please? :p

[Edit to remove censor bypass.]

Only if each time you die you agree to get 'Shame. Shame. Shame. Scrub.' on your screen as well:)
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on July 30, 2017 1:00AM
  • apostate9
    apostate9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    I currently start a cast time attack like frags just to see if someone is using the addon. If I see them immediately dismount and start blocking and dodging, I just follow them around in stealth casting and cancelling causing a notification to pop up on their screen over and over and over again for up to 5-10 minutes.

You must be really bored.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol it blows my mind zos allows addons like this

seriously what is going on
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no grey area as in 'smart people can do what ZOS prevented them to do to gain advantage'.

Definitely. You are using the tools ZOS provides. Nothing wrong with that. Whether or not ZOS should provide those specific tools is a reasonable question, but it's ultimately irrelevant unless they remove them. We all play the game that we have, not the perfect game that exists only in our imaginations. If you want to win, use the tools or you put yourself at disadvantage to those who do.
  • cyx54tc
    cyx54tc
    ✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    lol it blows my mind zos allows addons like this

seriously what is going on

working as intended
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This addon represents everything that is wrong with the game.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    This addon represents everything that is wrong with the game.

Basically this. The game is already imbalanced as it is in terms of classes/gear... but I guess if it's already a completely unfair playing field then what's the harm? (sarcasm) :/ Such a disappointment that they don't completely shut this addon down.