Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of August 5:
· PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 5
· NA megaservers for maintenance – August 7, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· EU megaservers for maintenance – August 7, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – August 7, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/663391

Boats and Ships

Silufadumar
Silufadumar
✭✭✭
I would like to see some boats and ships made available to build and buy. There are a few homes that have docks close enough for a boat or small ship to be placed by the game once built or purchased and at least one (Tel Galen), with the possibility of others to come in the future, that have docks/water space within the build area of the home. I know there is a small fishing boat that becomes available after completing an achievement, but I hate the idea of fishing in real life and so I certainly don't want to spend the amount of time I would need to in-game for that achievement, no offence meant to those who love fishing, its just not my thing.

I have seen a range of different sized and styled boats in the game (I'll get to ships a bit later in this post), many of these would be ideal for adding to the housing system, whether at an empty dock space or anchored just off shore, these could be used to travel to any port your current character has already visited. The bigger boats (and perhaps smaller ships) could also be used within those homes large enough to hold them, as an unusual out-building in a courtyard for example, like the Companions hall from Skyrim (very fitting for any Nord players out there). These vessels could also be decorated as the player wants, at least those that fit within the build area of a home. Small boats could be placed in buildings to enhance a sea or fishing theme, larger boats or the smaller ships could be used as extra living space or placed half submerged to simulate a wreck or even made to look like a skyship!

Now a word or two about ships. To me the idea of a ship as a player home is a no-brainer! Part of me can't believe its not been done yet. It would likely be impractical to have every race style ship available to choose from (though that would be nice) and there would likly be complaints if one alliance style was chosen over another, so a reclaimed or captured Imperial ship would probably be best. A player could then use whatever decorations and furniture they want to give it a racial or Alliance theme if they so desire.

Though I love the idea of a player home that could travel to all the major ports, that is to say, everything in and on the ship being moved to within sight of each port, this would likely be difficult and impractical to implement. The ship could however be placed out at sea and the player given the illusion of sailing from place to place when they want. While at 'home' on their ship, they will be surrounded by the deep water of the sea with perhaps just a hint of land in the distance. When the player wants to travel they use the wheel (or speak to npc) to set the destination, perhaps a fade to black or loading screen follows, after which an indicator such as text on screen or the npc announce arrival. The ship will not have gone anywhere of course, it will remain in its own instance just like anyother player home. But what will have changed is the destination the exit from your ship (a row boat on the side) takes you. Using the row boat places your character on the docks of the port you just 'travelled' to and a row boat at those docks will take you back to your ship. Want to travel to a different port, use the wheel/npc, fade to black, when the view comes back the row boat will now exit to the docks of the new destination and a row boat at that dock will take you back to your ship.

Sorry for this post being a bit long, please post any ideas you guys may have, you never know how we may inspire something to be put in the game.
Edited by Silufadumar on July 27, 2017 1:12AM
  • Slyjinxy
    Slyjinxy
    ✭✭✭
    If you get the Master Angler achievement you have the opportunity to buy a boat. I just got Master angler not more that half an hour ago and bought two boats. One is in Hunding's, the other docked at Strident Springs.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/fishing-vessel/

I've also seen people build hot air balloons, they look really awesome.

Also, not to be rude but paragraphs are your friend. I really only read the title.
    Edited by Slyjinxy on July 26, 2017 9:48PM
    Options
  • xerikos
    xerikos
    ✭✭✭
    Slyjinxy wrote: »
    Also, not to be rude but paragraphs are your friend. I really only read the title.

And it shows: OP said s/he's aware of that boat, but --in summary-- don't like fishing and so won't be able to get it. That one is also pretty small, and may fill with a crate, a barrel and maybe two basket, not good for housing.

(I confess I stopped reading after --what seems to be-- the first paragraph).

Building may be an option, but definitely may require more furnishing slots than any plot currently have, unless it's a raft or something like that. Using a tent on board may give the impression of... a tent in the water, idk. :# The Grand Topal Hideaway may be the perfect plot, but it's not available anymore. The same goes with the Tel Galen tower.

There are plenty of ships in game, so it should be easy to add a house like that, I suppose, but wishing/asking for more houses is not a good idea, imho. I would prefer if the housing system is greatly improved, with more functionality, more item capacity, etc. before they add any more. I may be one of the few housing enthusiasts that think the upcoming houses next month are not good news. Right now they are pretty useless once you fill them up.

Options
  • Silufadumar
    Silufadumar
    ✭✭✭
    Edited my original post to (hopefully) make it more readable.
    Options
  • Silufadumar
    Silufadumar
    ✭✭✭
    xerikos wrote: »
    Slyjinxy wrote: »

And it shows: OP said s/he's aware of that boat, but --in summary-- don't like fishing and so won't be able to get it. That one is also pretty small, and may fill with a crate, a barrel and maybe two basket, not good for housing.

(I confess I stopped reading after --what seems to be-- the first paragraph).

Building may be an option, but definitely may require more furnishing slots than any plot currently have, unless it's a raft or something like that. Using a tent on board may give the impression of... a tent in the water, idk. :# The Grand Topal Hideaway may be the perfect plot, but it's not available anymore. The same goes with the Tel Galen tower.

There are plenty of ships in game, so it should be easy to add a house like that, I suppose, but wishing/asking for more houses is not a good idea, imho. I would prefer if the housing system is greatly improved, with more functionality, more item capacity, etc. before they add any more. I may be one of the few housing enthusiasts that think the upcoming houses next month are not good news. Right now they are pretty useless once you fill them up.

I have the Tel Galen tower and was thinking how cool it would be to have a medium to large boat that I could place at its dock. And that got me thinking about boats in housing and ships AS housing.
    I agree there are other issues with the housing system that need attention, especially a rise in item limit.
    Just got a bit carried away with the whole boat/ship ideas.
    Hope the edit makes my OP more readable.
    Options
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a home in a ship or boat has great potential. I'd be seriously interested if it were ever to happen.

I'd be even more interested if player housing in general could somehow diverge from the concept of having an internal space forming the majority of / all of the 'residence'. I think Homestead is a fantastic addition, but I would love to see a better balance between indoor and outdoor space. Take a modest-sized ship or boat, for example. Have internal cabin space, by all means, but perhaps include access to external deck spaces (fo'c'sle, aftcastle, quarterdeck, etc.) on different levels with tarpaulins to help protect from the elements. Having access to a small part of the quayside (if berthed there) or beach space (if grounded there) would offer a bit more variety and interest.

Cramming all of your lovely furniture and possessions into one large cabin or across one interior deck of a ship seems like a lost opportunity to me.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
    Options
  • EvlRod
    EvlRod
    smko2vb6i2sy.png
    ck88ka42q7c1.png
    qc5dv9pjymje.png
    a85c3ncxp9q4.png
    Options
  • EvlRod
    EvlRod
    Not my house but here's a ship that was built in the island house
    Options
  • Slyjinxy
    Slyjinxy
    ✭✭✭
    EvlRod wrote: »
    Not my house but here's a ship that was built in the island house

Wow, how did they do that? I can't even get two boards on some stone to make a shelf for my homemade fireplace :(
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I made a boat useing docking took up 40 slots would love to just buy a pirate ship to save slots or a merchant ship
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EvlRod wrote: »
    smko2vb6i2sy.png
    ck88ka42q7c1.png
    qc5dv9pjymje.png
    a85c3ncxp9q4.png

What are used to make these sails?
    Edited by FloppyTouch on July 31, 2017 3:51AM
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive pictures :)
    Options
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need nautical warfare
    Options
  • Silufadumar
    Silufadumar
    ✭✭✭
    WOW!.. who ever made that ship, I take my hat off to you sir or madam, that is seriously impressive.
    Options
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing :)
    Options
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a large boat in my homes with docks too. Especially like the idea of it being a wayshrine to ports. The Navigators already do this, why not have in homes too?

I do like Fishing and will be getting my boat soon. However, it's going to look stupidly small in the docks at Grand Toal and Tel Galen. Even small for Hundings Palace docks. :(
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on July 31, 2017 7:44PM
    Options
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sails are made from tarps, available at finishing vendor in cyrodiil and abahs landing/hews bane...also a few other places. It's called "rough tarp" and they are 100g each. :)
    Lasertooth
    GM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity
    Xbox/NA
    Options
  • EvlRod
    EvlRod
    @FloppyTouch I believe he used rough tarps for the sails but I'm not 100% sure on it though

Options
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With Daggerfall there is a gap in the wall that allows you build a platform to get out. You can then decorate the ship in the harbour in front of the castle. There are videos on YouTube showing where the gap is and how to get out over the wall
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lasertooth wrote: »
    The sails are made from tarps, available at finishing vendor in cyrodiil and abahs landing/hews bane...also a few other places. It's called "rough tarp" and they are 100g each. :)

Ty
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a fun idea. My father was a Navy man, so he lived on a ship for a while (aircraft carrier).
    They need to make ship houses happen.
    Options
  • Khatou
    Khatou
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you are still alive, how much item do you use to reproduce that?
    Options
  • Agrivar
    Agrivar
    ✭✭✭
    menedhyn wrote: »
    ...fo'c'sle...

Ah English! Why the heck not - just replace a bunch of letters with apostrophes! Not a dig on you, Menedhyn, just always been amused by that word!
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess would be that a home needs to be instanced, so a ship home could only be the interior, which would get so much backlash from folk wanting to furnish the deck that it would not be worth doing.

So what we need to do is come up with ingenious ways to put the whole ship in its own instance space, such as trapped in a cave by the entrance collapsing (like Skyrim's Broken Oar Grotto, on a smaller scale). What takes the place of the "garden wall" for a house boat? It can't be open beach, but you could put the ship in a rocky cove you can only access through a cave with a load door, or the slaughterfish-infested waters that aren't a real alternative.

The important aspects are how the ship/boat looks from outside the instance. That has to be constant for all other players. Entry has to be through the designated entrance only, so you can load into the instance. And probably other things I missed.
    Options
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    My guess would be that a home needs to be instanced, so a ship home could only be the interior, which would get so much backlash from folk wanting to furnish the deck that it would not be worth doing.

So what we need to do is come up with ingenious ways to put the whole ship in its own instance space, such as trapped in a cave by the entrance collapsing (like Skyrim's Broken Oar Grotto, on a smaller scale). What takes the place of the "garden wall" for a house boat? It can't be open beach, but you could put the ship in a rocky cove you can only access through a cave with a load door, or the slaughterfish-infested waters that aren't a real alternative.

The important aspects are how the ship/boat looks from outside the instance. That has to be constant for all other players. Entry has to be through the designated entrance only, so you can load into the instance. And probably other things I missed.

Or..... as the OP suggested...... a small rowboat that is the "door" to the instanced ship home that is out anchored out at sea and is inaccessible any other way. You could to make it really fancy have this small rowboat at every port city in the game and allow the owner to link or "sail" the ship to whatever port they want.
    Sha'ria Wrathmane - Belora Wrathmane - Leora Wrathmane
    Former Head of Recruitment for Vokundein
    Options
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to build a ship at a larger house is fine and all, but it isn't a house itself and that is what I want. I have Hunding's and I could easily build a huge ship out there but it would just be a ship in a house. Cool sure, but still not the same. It would also take up a tremendous number of furnishing slots. Doubt I'd be able to even quarter furnish the house and outside areas if I did that.

Edited by Wildberryjack on January 31, 2018 9:48PM
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would bump this long lost thread, because almost from day one of my ESO experience years ago, I have wanted a boat/ship to moor at my housing "docs".

The only ones I am aware of are the fishing boat from completion of the master fisherman, or the small Argonian fishing boats one can purchase/obtain (I have this one).

Are there others? I have looked online for information but its few and far between.

I know skilful housing builders have created their own ships/boats, but that is very time consuming and expensive to undertake... I am wondering if there are other acquirable options?

And, if there are not, then hell there needs to be!

(I am aware there is now a large ship house purchasable, what I want is ships/boats to place in my existing homes)...
    Options
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple Argonian Skiffs you can get through the Housing Editor. I've use one of them to make a Crabbing Vessel that I fitted out with some sails masts etc. These are small scale though. Still looks good docked.

You could take it a bit further and probably make a catamaran or something as well.

i8oogyfze5su.jpg
    Edited by faeeichenlaub on November 2, 2019 3:21AM
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A ship house would be so easy for ZOS to add to the game. They already exist in game.

I wonder if it is because it would not qualify as Notable so they could not charge $100 or more for the ship.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options