The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What kind of network infrastructure does it take to run ESO?

Eoden13
Eoden13
just curious if the ESO team could create a blog on what it takes to run ESO? I always enjoy a good engineering blog like stackflow does on what kind of servers/firewalls/switches it takes to run the operation.
  • Emissary_Vex
    Emissary_Vex
    ✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Network infrastructure is similar to smoke signals in a jungle far away from civilization.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

That's the server power. Not the network
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought OP was telling a joke so I clicked expecting a punchline.

I am sad now :/
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

When ever someone gets booted from Cyrodiil, one of the IT guys has to find the cable that popped loose.

P52742908.jpg
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Eoden13
    Eoden13
    lol nope, no joke. I work in IT so this kind of stuff is interesting to me.
  • Tezlakipuka
    Tezlakipuka
    ✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

When ever someone gets booted from Cyrodiil, one of the IT guys has to find the cable that popped loose.

P52742908.jpg

Huh, Richter... are we working in the same company? That's a normal machine panel here.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

P52742908.jpg

That is reminding me of the mess of the rack at the place I worked at last year. They had plans to fix it.
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume its racks of pretty standard servers. linked up with switch. Assume they run a storage network and probably multiple database servers.

Most interested in architecture, do they use specialized servers for some other task, think they have an login server.
    How does megaserver work, I assume instances are distributed and short term instances like skyreach, group dungeons and houses are created on need on lower load servers. i would run cyrodil on seperate servers for performance.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    I assume its racks of pretty standard servers. linked up with switch. Assume they run a storage network and probably multiple database servers.

Most interested in architecture, do they use specialized servers for some other task, think they have an login server.
    How does megaserver work, I assume instances are distributed and short term instances like skyreach, group dungeons and houses are created on need on lower load servers. i would run cyrodil on seperate servers for performance.

Just throwing out here... Last we knew, the megaserver was made up of a lot of HP blade hardware spread across a number of racks.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    More.

Funny sidenote - early/mid 90s, "Internet infrastructure" was not too far away from the posted image, though in the early days, no one used 19" racks, but regular shelves. Doing maintenance on our servers required some serious Spiderman-skills - one had to be careful, not to tangle oneselv in wires running all over the place.
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eoden13 wrote: »
    just curious if the ESO team could create a blog on what it takes to run ESO? I always enjoy a good engineering blog like stackflow does on what kind of servers/firewalls/switches it takes to run the operation.

I think the ZOS staff would first have to look up what some of those words mean, then the marketing department would have to come up with more buzzwords to go along with the absurd "megaserver" term. Then they could tell us they'd like to implement a blog about it, but currently have no plans and no ETA(TM).
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭

All it takes is the team of Pied Piper.

Richard nervous and anti-social as ever, Gilfoyle's satanic presence implemented in Cyrodiil, Dinesh just has zero good qualities.

Then we have Jared, the hald-crazed, half-apache who enjoys Julia Roberts and bird watching, while sleep-talking in German on how he'll cut people.

Big Head is still as useless as ever.

Erlich is Wrobel.

Did I miss anything? Feel like that's a fair representation.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

TmjzjWD.jpg

1 hamster...if they had 12 we wouldn't have that lag all the time
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

TmjzjWD.jpg

1 hamster...if they had 12 we wouldn't have that lag all the time

I think I see the problem. The power connector to the hamster has been unplugged.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, I'd like to see a lot more "behind the scenes" stuff ... pix from the ZOS offices, etc. All we ever get to see is the dungeon set on ESO Live.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Eoden13
    Eoden13
    zaria wrote: »

yeah that would be some of my next questions as well. good point.
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

P52742908.jpg

And I know from experience when you reach into that to fix that one cable, you unknowingly loosen the ten all around it.

• Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭
    tin-can-telephone.jpg
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine the core would be something along the lines of a core aggregation stack similar to say an Enterasys S8 with multiple inbound BGP/OSPF routed WAN 10gb fiber SFP's in a couple of different LACP bonds for redundancy. From there individual SFP trunks to tier 2 fiber distribution switch interconnects, say two per rack for best practice - with individual load balancing between separate fiber NIC paths on each Blade Array (I.e. Dell has the integrated Broadcom FC Switch). Maybe independent switch (stack config?) tagged to management VLAN for iDracs etc..

Of course ZOS are not going to reveal any of this information because it's security 101 - protection against 0 day exploits is far superlative if no one knows you have exploitable gear.
    Edited by hamgatan on July 25, 2017 12:20AM
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
    L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
    L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
    L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
    L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
    L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
    L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
    L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
    L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
    L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
    L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
    L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
    L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
    L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
    L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
    L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
    L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
    L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
    L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamascus wrote: »
    tin-can-telephone.jpg

So they are using the same network as Australia then
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamascus wrote: »
    tin-can-telephone.jpg

Rare photo from ZOS HQ? lol
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    potato and 12 hamsters

give this person some awesome
    Edited by Alcast on July 25, 2017 12:34AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    potato and 12 hamsters

I just have one question though..

If hamsters are running overtime in their wheels to keep those CPU clocks ticking..

Why are they still so fat?
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    hamgatan wrote: »
    potato and 12 hamsters

If hamsters are running overtime in their wheels to keep those CPU clocks ticking..

It's not fat. It's muscle
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ramen noodles
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

Beeeeeeeffffcaaaakkkeeeee
    Edited by hamgatan on July 25, 2017 12:42AM
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As interesting as we might find this (and I mean that seriously), I can't see them revealing this, particularly given the trouble they've been having with alleged DDoS attacks. You don't give the burglars a floor plan of your house and a key to the safe where you keep your valuables, do you?

I'm normally the first one on board the "more communication and openness" train when it comes to games/companies, but this is one they can keep to themselves.

I would, however, appreciate if, since we find ourselves doing QA/ stress testing, they'd tell us what we're supposed to be testing/looking out for.
  • Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭
    potato and 12 hamsters

Beeeeeeeffffcaaaakkkeeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfkGFL1uHAc
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You guys are funny :blush: