The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

BG ranking system suggestion

Olupajmibanan
Olupajmibanan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello my fellow BG players.
Warning: overwhelmingly long post!

First of all, I know and admit that BGs are not even half-finished and still need a ton of work especially in terms of uneven groups, matchmaking, class balance and others. Dissatisfied players bring these issues often on forums but I am here to bring less discussed but not less important issue and that is missing ranking system. Current leaderboards are only a reflection of time spent in BGs and not actual player performance and I am sure that I am not alone who hates this.

I know that ZOS does not read forums nor care for any of the community complaints, yet a little piece of hope left inside me keeps me in writting this post.

This is my suggestion how ranking system could work:

Separate ranked and unranked queue:
In addition to current grab-bag queue we need to add another grab-bag: ranked queue. Current grab-bag would keep old leaderboard system and new ranked queue would use brand new ranking system described below.

Ranking system:
6 separated groups (let's call them ranks) you could advance through.
All players after their first win are placed in White rank. From there you can advance through Green, Blue, Purple and Gold rank to the most high Daedric rank. All rank groups have unlimited space for players. You can view individual rank groups and player progress within in Journal -> Leaderboards. To view other rank that the one you are currently in, you simply switch a tab to view it (just like you switch tabs to view different classes in Maelstrom arena leaderboards).

Advancing between ranks:
Players can advance in their current rank by earning ranking points (RP) which are earned from winning matches. After earning certain amount of ranking points you get a ranking quest. Completion of ranking quest advances you to next rank.
Losing a match means losing some of the RPs, but you cannot fall back to previous rank by reaching zero RPs in your current rank (after losing many matches). You can only advance further :-)
Once you earn a ranking quest you will keep it even if you lose some RPs and fall back from the points amount needed for promotion. Advancing from rank to rank is tied only to ranking quest completion (I'll let that to further discussion but I thought of ranking quests like "win 3 matches in a row").

When you are in the Daedric rank you can earn ranking points until infinity.

Earning ranking points:
Winning a match gives fixed amount of ranking points. This amount is increased by player performance during matches. Additional RPs earned from a single match are based on player's final BG score (which is reflection of objective focusing), total damage done, total healing done and K/D/A result. I haven't thought about weights of the mentioned four cases yet (total damage and healing done should have the same weight IMO).

Losing a match takes fixed amount of ranking points. This amount can be lowered by player performance during the match. The amount lost can be lowered to zero (or even to earning some positive points? I'll left that to further discussion) if you perform really well. This way players are rewarded for playing well in a lost match and prevents them from intentionally throwing a match if it appears to be lost (the system itself must motivate players to fight and never give up even if the match appears to be lost).

Matchmaking:
Only Solo/Duo and 4-premade queues are allowed.

Putting solo players or pairs together isn't much of a big deal. Actually sometimes 4 solo players can perform much better than 2 pairs, but you can discuss your opinion on this. 4-premades can be put in a match only against another 4-premades.

Solo/Duo and 4-premade needs separated ranking. You can advance through ranks to the dreamed Daedric rank in a Solo/Duo ranking or 4-premade ranking which are completely separated and earning/losing points in one does not affect the other ranking.

Solo/Duo players are put only against players from the same rank. This would +- create balanced matches where all players are at roughly equal skill level (first days of the ranking will be a little unbalanced, but it will stabilize in time). If two players with different ranks are logging together, matchmaking system needs to handle this and find corresponding opponents. If queue time takes too long and matchmaking system can't find suitable oponents, you will be put against players from different ranks, but it will affect your RPs earned/lost (losing against stronger oponents takes less RPs, winning against stronger oponents gives more RPs than usual and so on).

4-premades are bit complicated here, because the matchamking system needs to handle the fact that all players in the group can be from different rank. It can search for +-equally created groups but that would result in tremendous queue times. I left this open for discussion.

Noob friendly + challenging coeficient:
There must a coeficient to RP gains which would help new players in advancing and still providing a challenge for end-game players. The coeficient diminishes as the rank advances.

(Values are just orientative)
Advancing in White rank: you earn 50% more RPs from winning and lose 25% less RPs when losing a match.
Advancing in Green rank: you earn 25% more RPs from winning and lose 12,5% less RPs when losing a match.
Advancing in Blue rank: you earn 0% more RPs from winning and lose 0% less RPs when losing a match.
Advancing in Purple rank: you earn 12,5% less RPs from winning and lose 25% more RPs when losing a match.
Advancing in Gold rank: you earn 25% less RPs from winning and lose 50% more RPs when losing a match.
Advancing in Daedric Rank: you earn 50% less RPs from winning and lose 50% more RPs when losing a match.

General idea is (assuming equally performed lost and won matches): If your rank is white, base amount of points gained from one win equal to base amount of points lost from two loses. If your rank is Blue one win equals to one loss. If your rank is Gold, two loses equal to one win. If you are in the most prestigious Daedric rank, you will need to win a lot and not lose to advance in this rank.
You can still partialy bypass this condition by additional RP gains (or less RPs lost) by performing well in your matches.

Rewards:
(This info is completely orientative. Please discuss rewards for ranking in general and refrain from discussing individual rewards like enchantments on the Battleground weapons (read further) or what kind of combat pet it would be).

Earning White rank: PvP title
Earning Green rank: PvP title
Earning Purple rank: PvP title and non-combat pet
Earning Gold rank: PvP title and skin
Earning Daedric rank: PvP title and a special reward (I thought about Vivec visiting you after earning this rank and gives you key to his secret vault where you can take one weapon of your choosing. These weapons, called Battleground weapons, would be just like Maelstrom and Master weapons, but the special enchantment on them is PvP only and does not work in PvE).
Being in a top x players (statistics must tell how much will be this, I thought of best 5%) in Daedric rank at the time of closing the ranking: ZOS creates a topic on forum where they announce x winners from Solo/Duo and x winners from 4-premade and awards them with prizes of ZOS's choosing.

Ranking time must certainly be changed from 7 days to 30 days.

Rules and punishment for bad behaviour:
If you leave a match after it started. you automaticaly get a lose. The game does not start if a player leaves during the final countdown which announces that match is starting soon.
If your character does not move for more than 2 minutes, you are kicked from the match and automaticaly get a lose.
If you are disconnected during the match, you have 2 minutes to log back. Otherwise you are kicked and automaticaly get a lose.
If a player is kicked, leaves or disconnects from the match, no new players are allowed to join in. The team must continue with disadvantage.

Being afk purposely (bots, rubberbanding or just making a move every 2 minutes) can be reported and will be dealt with accordingly.
Wintrading (purposely loosing a match) is strictly prohibited and will be punished hard. Don't know if there is a system that can control this, but AFAIK there isn't . Only reporting this kind of behaviour is possible. If you know any good method of fighting against wintrade, please share it with us in comments.

Thank you for reading this overwhelming post and feel free to discuss anything related to missing ranking system in ESO.
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree with the fact that BGs was more enjoyable when you could only solo que, from both ends of the perspective. As a solo que, you want things to be even and being put against a pre made teams is usually a failure result. On the other end of the spectrum, for those who want to fight with pre made groups probably would like to fight against others like them to offer a greater challenge.

With that said, no changes are going to happen. If you start segregating the pvp, you will spread the small population too thin.