The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Wailing Prison or Fort Firemoth?

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
This is something I brought up during the Morrowind beta, and I don't think I'm the only one who did. Now that I'm playing my new character, I'm finding I'm right about my issue with the new tutorial.

The problem is that we're now starting in Firemoth, and upon leaving, we're in Vvardenfell. What this has done, is it has broken the main quest. Now, the main quest does not begin after the tutorial, and my character is left with no reason to leave Vvardenfell. I know, I could just up and go, but that was part of the point of the main quest; it sends you off around the world. Now, there's nothing to give us any incentive to DO that.

More, the very first quest we do has us going to Vivec, where we're interacting with gods and daedric lords and such. We're STARTING characters, there's NO WAY we should be involved in quests on that level of power (I realize with One Tamriel, we can go anywhere and do anything, but there should be some limit on quests that are nominally for powerful beings).

So, as I suggested in beta, we need to have the tutorial changed, so that we begin in THE WAILING PRISON, as we used to do, so that the main quest gets its start as it is supposed to. If it doesn't, it breaks the whole game, and that can't be allowed to happen. At the very least, we should be given the choice of which tutorial to begin with.

I'd tag someone in this, but I don't know who to tag.
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    ESO wants to give you the option of playing either way.

I started a new character, skipped the tutorial, ended up in some small town. I finished the starting main Vvardenfell quest and a side quest. Then I headed for Daggerfall and met the "benefactor", ended up in the Wailing Prison as a level 4 and broke out.

So you can easily start the main quest with the Prophet if you want, although new players aren't directed there. The new cut scene at least shows how you ended up in the prison.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can skip (or do) the Firemoth tutorial, and then travel to Davon's Watch or wherever, and start the Wailing Prison. However, that does several things.

First, you will start at a higher level
    Second, you will already have equipment.
    Third, it changes your interaction with Vvardenfell. This is the most significant.

You see, a character who starts in the Wailing Prison will be able to participate in a mission in Seyda Neen when they first arrive there, where the Governor is working with slavers. If you do the tutorial (or skip it) in Firemoth, that quest is lost, you don't get to do it.

I almost wish I hadn't purchased Morrowind, so I could make my character normally, THEN activate Morrowind and go to Vvardenfell.

(Part of my own issue is that I want my character to have NO experience of Nirn or Oblivion when he starts the game. He's supposed to be ME, drawn from our reality by Molag Bal and dropped into the Wailing Prison for some diabolical purpose. Starting in Firemoth derails that. Of course, that's my personal issue, but I think the issues I've pointed out are still valid for all.)
    Edited by Morgha_Kul on July 26, 2017 10:15PM
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The option to choose which tutorial to play would definitely be the best. Regarding the issues about the two different quests in Seyda Neen, you might like my thread over here, which suggests a way to allow any character to play both: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/358647/two-tutorials-two-skill-points-two-quests-two-solutions/p1

(Note though that as it stands right now, if you skip the Firemoth tutorial you do get to do the other quest with the governor. It's only when you play the Firemoth tutorial that you don't.)

An alternative to your suggestion could be to have the mysterious 'Hooded Figure' turn up at the end of the Vvardenfell storyline. That way everything is still connected together and you get a reason to leave Vvardenfell, but you will have completed Vvardenfell before moving on to the rest of Tamriel.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp