The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Light or heavy mDK

Mattoxx96
Mattoxx96
✭✭
So I spent 110k of gold getting 5pc desert rose and sun set that I run with grothdarr, but I'm seeing a lot of builds on YouTube for the magicka DK and other magicka classes as well that use heavy armour.

Is heavy armour much better than light armour?
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends on your skill level and what you want. If you want a more rounded build for survivability and dmg this set up should be just fine plus it's easier to figure out how to duel when you are more tanky. I personally run 5 light 1 heavy 1 medium for more burst damage. But I have ran a mdk for a while now. It's hard to get use to but can produce crazy amounts of damage.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are solo or small group, heavy builds tend to work better because you aren't stacked with heals and AOE caps, and being able to tank some damage is fairly essential on a low mobility build. It's the same reason many magplars wear heavy.

That said, both are viable at the moment. I'm running light this patch for the crit and cost reduction, and the extra damage you get in light is very nice. The margin of error is certainly smaller though. If you are new to mDK PvP, I'd recommend starting with heavy.

I would not use Grothdarr in PvP on a mag DK. Skoria and Bloodspawn are better choices, IMO. mDK largely lacks burst damage as a class and burst is king, plus we don't have an execute. Skoria provides random burst damage via proc; Bloodspawn provides burst by generating more ultimate which you can use to time your burst, and our ultimates are usually what we have to use to execute as well.

The stam regen, extra tankiness and additional resources (via Battle Roar) of Bloodspawn are also important to mDK, hence it's perennial popularity with DKs in general
    Edited by NBrookus on July 27, 2017 6:06PM
    Options
  • murdomac101
    murdomac101
    ✭✭✭
    How's mDK looking post patch?
    Options
  • Mattoxx96
    Mattoxx96
    ✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    If you are solo or small group, heavy builds tend to work better because you are stacked with heals and AOE caps, and being able to tank some damage is fairly essential on a low mobility build. It's the same reason many magplars wear heavy.

That said, both are viable at the moment. I'm running light this patch for the crit and cost reduction, and the extra damage you get in light is very nice. The margin of error is certainly smaller though. If you are new to mDK PvP, I'd recommend starting with heavy.

I would not use Grothdarr in PvP on a mag DK. Skoria and Bloodspawn are better choices, IMO. mDK largely lacks burst damage as a class and burst is king, plus we don't have an execute. Skoria provides random burst damage via proc; Bloodspawn provides burst by generating more ultimate which you can use to time your burst, and our ultimates are usually what we have to use to execute as well.

The stam regen, extra tankiness and additional resources (via Battle Roar) of Bloodspawn are also important to mDK, hence it's perennial popularity with DKs in general

Thanks for your input, I run grothdarr because I just prefer the way it looks over skoria, that's just my personal preference, but I will be getting blood spawn.

But I feel with wearing 5 light instead of 5 heavy, there should be a lot more damage output but I've seen some mDK's with heavy have more damage than when wearing light.

mDK is a good class imo, I just find they are quite reliant on whip to get the nice healing... unless I'm doing something wrong.
    Options
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizard's Riposte definitely helps out with running full light on a mDK right now.
    Options
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made duells against heavy and light armor mDKs and the light ones deal crazy damage. Heavy armor mDKs arent dangerous like them. With light you able to kill everything, whats impossible with heavy armor ;)
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mattoxx96 wrote: »
    If you are solo or small group, heavy builds tend to work better because you are stacked with heals and AOE caps, and being able to tank some damage is fairly essential on a low mobility build. It's the same reason many magplars wear heavy.

Thanks for your input, I run grothdarr because I just prefer the way it looks over skoria, that's just my personal preference, but I will be getting blood spawn.

But I feel with wearing 5 light instead of 5 heavy, there should be a lot more damage output but I've seen some mDK's with heavy have more damage than when wearing light.

mDK is a good class imo, I just find they are quite reliant on whip to get the nice healing... unless I'm doing something wrong.

Coagulating Dragonblood is a good heal. It deserves a spot on the bar.
    Options
  • Mattoxx96
    Mattoxx96
    ✭✭

Coagulating Dragonblood is a good heal. It deserves a spot on the bar.

Yeah I use it but its not great. Sacrificed nearly 18% crit for sustain and armour traits so it only does about 6K heal, doesn't crit as much and its costly. I probably just need more practice.

Options
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No sir Light will out perform Heavy currently ... 5k pen... extra crit... cost reduction....regen.... best damage sets

Heavy 8% more mitigation lol ... more health... and some spell damage but only if your getting hammered.... resource resource return nerfed into the ground... some extra healing not worth it....

Light straight up does more damage via more crits, more pen...more casting....
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
    Options
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say light if you duel or dont have to fight 5v1 alot, heavy if you put the target on yourself for the group. Desert rose pairs well with Shacklebreaker/elfbane heavy sets if, but sun would be good combo set as well. Rockin light armor tho you will be targeted and the stamblade from stealth is usually a death sentence.
    Options
  • Mattoxx96
    Mattoxx96
    ✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »
    Rockin light armor tho you will be targeted and the stamblade from stealth is usually a death sentence.

I agree! But thanks for all the feedback.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Durham and @Lokey0024 are both right: light performs better than heavy right now, but a noob mDK is light armor is usually easy AP.

Tanking damage is 80% skill choices and using them wisely. You can be tanky in light or heavy, but in light you have the ability to turn around and kill people, too. Plus CDB is going to work much better for you in light.

Forget Elf Bane unless you are a destro monkey in a zerg. The 5th piece bonus isn't worth it otherwise. If you want a heavy set to run with your Sun, I suggest Shacklebreaker/Sun/Skoria or Bloodspawn, use witchmothers and thief mundus, or shadow mundus if your crit is ~50% or better. That is a solid setup that should work fine next patch as well.

Desert Rose is one of, if not THE best regen sets in the game, so hang on to it.
    Options
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desert Rose is one of, if not THE best regen sets in the game, so hang on to it.

If in heavy armor. I find lich better in light armor cuz you can go all 3 spell damage or 2 SD and 1 block cost/reduced cost/whatever you think might be lacking.

Thing about a DK is you have to win a war, not just 1 fight. You cant really pull out and run so you end up fighting 3 or 4 peeps.

@NBrookus And yes elfbane is my destro monkey set lol. Jumped for joy when i pulled a sharp inferno finally.
    Edited by Lokey0024 on July 22, 2017 4:55PM
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm running Desert Rose this patch because the ~600 regen is not affected by siphoner or poisons. When your regen is 700 (pre-desert rose), magicka poisons and siphoner mean jack. I'm not seeing siphoner show up on my debuffs much lately, and poisons seem to be tapering off in popularity in CP now that they got nerfed, but it's still strong. Consider it reverse proctarding.

But it does require you to get hit a lot, so it will be less useful on a ranged staff build. I didn't like Lich on a magDK because in a truly extended fight, you don't get steady resources back. Whereas on a sorc, I could take that Lich proc and bail out of a bad situation, regen up and come back. @Mattoxx96 hasn't told us what kind of playstyle he's looking for, so either could work for him/her.

I'm still waiting for the magicka version of Fury or Seventh Legion. >:)
    Options
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes me too B)
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DeHei wrote: »

Oh yes me too B)

Since we have several multi-purpose sets now, I sent a /bug in requesting Fury be converted to a dual-purpose mag/stam set.

Speaking of which, the /bug tool really needs a "suggestion" selection.
    Options
  • Mattoxx96
    Mattoxx96
    ✭✭
    @Mattoxx96 hasn't told us what kind of playstyle he's looking for, so either could work for him/her.

I just want a casual playstyle but I want to be able to do good on my mDK, I tend to do cyrodiil but the running around to get to places gets kinda annoying, I would do BGs but they take away CP and I put so many hours in to get to max so I ain't letting them take that away. Lol.

But yeah I'll definitely be sticking with 5 sun and 5 desert rose, my sustain is a lot better now, unless it's a long ass fight then yeah I tend to run outta resources.
    Options
  • devilsTear
    devilsTear
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running light this patch and om loving it so far.
    5/1/1
    2 skoria
    5 wizards riposte
    5 sun
    Front bar is s&b and back bar depends on the situation, can be s&b resto or destro.
    Options
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like desert rose that much. Doesn't proc as much as I'd hoped it would, and if your low you might have to wait 5/6 seconds for the mag, which is the difference between life/death. Syrabane has similar regen, and with the magsorc meta it procs for days.

I personally run a heavy blocktato. 5 impreg, 5 alt mastery and 2 bloodspawn. DW on front bar so I can keep some damage without using any damage sets. All sturdy.

Damage and sustain is solid with the right rotation, and near infinite stam sustain.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
    Options