Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gear progression help!

KalEzma
KalEzma
Soul Shriven
Yesterday, I got lucky to find someone willing to craft a set items for my lvl 10 MagDK.
And I read from somewhere that a lvl 10 set gears will get me to lvl 50 without switching gears.
Are this true? If not, someone help me when to switch gears by level and what to change.
Set items crafted yesterday were Julianos and Torugs.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to get to level 50 without changing gear, but you'll lose so much power that wiping a group of simple mobs will become too time consuming to justify it. The faster you kill stuff the faster you earn XP.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled several toons to lvl50 with lvl4 gear. As you gain levels you will get progressively weaker as mentioned. The only time it is worth it to level a toon to lvl 50 with low level gear is when you already have 160 CP so you can swap to real gear at lvl50...if you are less than cp160 though I would just pick up and use whatever garbage gear you find as you level, it really wont make much a difference at low level anyway, in other words...mismatched random gear at lvl45 will make you more powerful than wearing crafted lvl10 gear
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done various things regarding this.

Lvl 4 gear all the way to 50

Lvl 10 and Lvl 30 to 50

and new gear on each 10, 20, 30, 40

The last option works the best in terms of speed, the lvl 10 and 30 gear is a great compromise if you don't have the mats to make the gear.

Lvl 4 gear to 50 works fine if you know what you're doing, but is slower.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • KalEzma
    KalEzma
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks all for replying!

I will see how they tuns out as I progress.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice thing is, the game drops a Magic, Stamina or Health set in each zone. So, if you are playing the zone content, you will easily get a 5 piece set in gear that suits you. Maybe even 2 5 Piece if you grind on dolmens. Swap those drops out for your gear as you go along and you will be all right. Don't sweat the traits either, the set bonuses are more important to you while leveling.

Oh, that dolmen thing, if your leveling to 50 running in a dolmen zerg, you can be naked and be successful. It is boring, and not a good way to level as you still have to find a bunch of skyshards for the needed skill points (you need 130 to 140 skill points total for combat if you level all 3 classes and one weapon, you get 64 of them leveling to 50)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game works really different in One Tam than it used to. In the "old days" I could gear up a toon in level 16ish and take them to 50 just fine. But the way One Tam works, your character gets handicaps based on level to make it so they can kill cp160 monsters (which is what they're all set to). As you level a multiplier effect comes off your character, so the gear gets exponentially weaker.

When I level a toon, I replace it every 8 levels. But I'm a crafter, so I can make my own and the mats are literally garbage to me. My recommendation would be to either wear drop sets like Nestor suggested, or research 2-3 traits in thenpieces you wear then make your own from low-trait sets like Night Silence or Magnus. You can complete the research in a couple of days, then craft upgrades whenever you need it. For me, taking a few minutes to upgrade my gear by five or six levels beats playing slow and squishy.