The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Angry about a group member via Dungeon Finder wanting to read and enjoy the quest dialog?

Opticon
Opticon
✭✭✭
Then don't use Dungeon Finder.
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    Normal? OK! I do it every now and then on new characters. Veteran? Common, there is no difference in quests between normal and vet... Plus you're more likely to be kicked than not in vet. Though, if the time is tight and I need a quick normal random, I just rush and solo the dungeon if it takes too long for people to read/listen to the quest. I'm guilty, your honor!

The best way to experience the quests in dungeons is to get there with your friend or two... or even solo. You're not restricted then by anyone.

At some point, when you've seen all and been everywhere, quests are rather boring. Quick run is less than 10 minutes per dungeon, when people are questing it might take three times as long. Three times as much game in exact same time... That's some nice compression!

The same might apply to you. You want to read quests? Majority doesn't. Just don't use dungeon finder :D.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter how I get into the dungeon, I always ask if anyone needs the quest. If so, I wait for them to listen to dialogs, no problems. Its not like a few minutes of patience is going to ruin my life.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    tommalmm wrote: »
    Normal? OK! I do it every now and then on new characters. Veteran? Common, there is no difference in quests between normal and vet... Plus you're more likely to be kicked than not in vet. Though, if the time is tight and I need a quick normal random, I just rush and solo the dungeon if it takes too long for people to read/listen to the quest. I'm guilty, your honor!

So you force players to skip content just because YOU are in a rush. Nice.
    Nestor wrote: »
    No matter how I get into the dungeon, I always ask if anyone needs the quest. If so, I wait for them to listen to dialogs, no problems. Its not like a few minutes of patience is going to ruin my life.

It really is just a few extra minutes, if that.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Opticon wrote: »

Likewise, you want to force people who have possibly run that dungeon 346762 times to spend twice the time in the dungeon just because you want to read the dialogue. Just playing the devil's advocate here :p

Side note, I have slowly read the dialogue in every single dungeon and in situations when groupmates had already done them I did make them wait for me. Catch is that were my friends and I'd asked them to wait even before the dungeon. I will also still wait for friends or even randoms if they ask me to(I will get mildly annoyed if people just stick behind without saying anything though, I mean I have no way to know if you dc'd, went afk are reading dialogue or looting barrels or something), however it's completely unreasonable to expect everyone or even most people in the groupfinder to share that mindset. Run it with friends if you want the story, or even get a group in zchat specifying you want the story.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the simple answer for both sides is stay out of the group finder.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Likewise, you want to force people who have possibly run that dungeon 346762 times to spend twice the time in the dungeon just because you want to read the dialogue. Just playing the devil's advocate here :p

Side note, I have slowly read the dialogue in every single dungeon and in situations when groupmates had already done them I did make them wait for me. Catch is that were my friends and I'd asked them to wait even before the dungeon. I will also still wait for friends or even randoms if they ask me to(I will get mildly annoyed if people just stick behind without saying anything though, I mean I have no way to know if you dc'd, went afk are reading dialogue or looting barrels or something), however it's completely unreasonable to expect everyone or even most people in the groupfinder to share that mindset. Run it with friends if you want the story, or even get a group in zchat specifying you want the story.

Twice the time is a bit of a stretch. I always say I will be doing the quest and that i will catch up, and even mention when there is a dialog. I can't imagine it adding more than a minute or two, maybe, from the lost dps.
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »

Unfortunately you might be right.
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or they could, you know, add in an extra condition to the Dungeon Finder:

Type: Quest, Speed Run, Farm, Champion Points Only, No Champion Points Only

It's 2017 - wake up ZOS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PC EU
    Qura Scura | Altmer | MagBlade
    Lhylyth | Breton | MagPlar
    Nhynyth | Khajiit | MagDK
    Ghwynyth | Dunmer | MagSorc
    Loots-All-Urns | Argonian | MagDen
    Shades-Of-Gray | Argonian | StamDK
    Or'Chastration | Orc | StamSorc
    Little Miss Famished | Orc | StamCro
    Fhane Sharog | Orc | StamDen
    Dead Moons Rising | Khajiit | StamBlade
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭

Yes. Rarely. I try as hard as I can not to, but when I get no other choice (or rather no choice that is beneficial to me), sorry. I know I'm beeing an ass, but it happens every now and then, I'm not trying to be mean nor anything like that. More often than not, though, I'm waiting patiently, asking if others have quests (additional boss fights here and there). I'm not trying to rush if I don't have to. Fortunately, most of the time when people get quests, they're just after the skill point, so a quick scroll through dialogs and they carry on (sometimes it's barely noticeable).

Magdalina wrote: »
    (I will get mildly annoyed if people just stick behind without saying anything though, I mean I have no way to know if you dc'd, went afk are reading dialogue or looting barrels or something)

This! It's really annoying, especially when I DO ASK about it and get no response at all. Quite often I see people contemplating their inventory after every fight for a minute or two...
    Twice the time is a bit of a stretch. I always say I will be doing the quest and that i will catch up, and even mention when there is a dialog. I can't imagine it adding more than a minute or two, maybe, from the lost dps.

On normal difficulty, with two good DDs and a tank lagging behind doing quest, people might reach an end boss before the dialogs end (esp. if you just skip all the trash or run through corridors and kill everything later). So yes, the difference is sometimes huge.
    MarzAttakz wrote: »

It's 2017 - wake up ZOS

Please, no. That would lead to even more fragmentation. Even now it's nearly impossible for a DD to get a group for a dungeon that is not daily pledge at the moment. And even for pledges you have to wait few minutes in a prime time to an hour outside of peak. Finder would be even more broken then (even now most people stick to their guilds for any content).
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭

It's 2017 - wake up ZOS

Please, no. That would lead to even more fragmentation. Even now it's nearly impossible for a DD to get a group for a dungeon that is not daily pledge at the moment. And even for pledges you have to wait few minutes in a prime time to an hour outside of peak. Finder would be even more broken then (even now most people stick to their guilds for any content).

I disagree, the lack of fragmentation is what leads to DD queues since every single one of you are in the same queue.

Big Data, as in the queue, should never be entered via the largest subset, that is terribly inefficient system design. Split big data into smaller chunks by providing the user with a few options, it will improve the member match up, speed up queue times and have less impact on the server when it comes to data crunching to find possible matchs.
    PC EU
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the point of that? Just a few minutes can't hurt anyone. I also ask if someone is questing: )
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More interested in yourself than the 3 other people in your group? Don't...know what, never mind. People who skew the whole world to their own perspective aren't open to hearing any differently.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    Edit not enough coffee yet.
    Edited by Opticon on July 19, 2017 1:25PM
  • blabliblargh
    blabliblargh
    ✭✭
    Many normal dungeons can be completed solo, although it requires a proper build that can both DPS and sustain and some experience soloing harder content (overland world bosses, public dungeons, craglorn group zone and delves are a good start). That's what I do when I want to experience the dungeon and quest the first time.
    Edited by blabliblargh on July 19, 2017 1:47PM
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many normal dungeons can be completed solo, although it requires a proper build that can both DPS and sustain and some experience soloing harder content (overland world bosses, public dungeons, craglorn group zone and delves are a good start). That's what I do when I want to experience the dungeon and quest the first time.

I can understand your view but how is that fair for newer players? The guys being thrown into the starter dungeons at level 20? Or people who prefer a slower pace?

I leveled my Templar all the way to CP160 so I could solo my first starter dungeon because of the toxicity I'd read about on the forums. I avoided the dungeon finder, as a healer, for the better part of a month. In every other game I would jump into each and every instance as early as possible for the fun and experience. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't do it in ESO.
    PC EU
  • kichwas
    kichwas
    ✭✭✭✭
    FFXIV does this one right. You're all stuck in a glowing circle you can't step out of until the last person has finished or skipped the cutscene.
    And you get 'double tokens' if there is a new player in the run.

- Do that with quests.
    - Somebody has the quest and takes it, you can't move past a quest objective unless it's done.
    - But give something like a skyshard (1/3 skill point) bonus for the people in there with the newbie.

Jah bless
    PST timezone - mostly PvE player.

Super casual player
    Seeking a casual 'lets do some dungeons and world stuff together' guild.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always type need quest, will have to start over with warden:)
    If never done dungeons before say you are new. this is nice to know on some bosses with special mechanism, fungal 2 is one.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not in a speed run, I don't care, or better: I encourage them to do the quest and read and enjoy the conversations.
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Or don't use the dungeon finder expecting that everybody is going to wait for you. Just a thought.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

^

It's not rocket science.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not mind if someone want to do questing, For me, I am always up front about it. I will say in group chat in the start of the dungeon that I never done this dungeon before and I will be questing.
  • basketcaseNZ
    basketcaseNZ
    ✭✭
    Yes, I really like talking to the NPCs and enjoying the quest but if I do I get left behind and miss sections of the quest because they'd killed a boss without me. So I started going to the dungeon and picking up the quest on my own, but I still have to skip talking to NPCs during the dungeon.

• Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I wish this thread would just die :-p

I created it when I was very new and I've changed my outlook since then. If people want to be ***, then that's their choice, just like it's my choice to want to do the quest. Now I just gladly stay away from players like that, and problem solved.
  • basketcaseNZ
    basketcaseNZ
    ✭✭
    Lol I wish this thread would just die :-p

I created it when I was very new and I've changed my outlook since then. If people want to be ***, then that's their choice, just like it's my choice to want to do the quest. Now I just gladly stay away from players like that, and problem solved.

What if you get kicked from groups for talking to NPCs? I just got kicked from Blackheart Haven for talking to the quest giver. Its not like they needed me there was a high level champ with them. But still they decided to get ride of me, even though I was only playing the game as it was intended.

F*** those d***s.
    Edited by basketcaseNZ on August 14, 2017 7:11AM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Group dungeons cannot be soloed by toons that have not been "optimized".

2. Not everyone has friends they can run group dungeons with.

3. New players need to do quests for the first time. If those quests are in a group dungeon they need a group to do them with.

4. If few extra seconds to acknowledge that people might not have run content a zillion times yet is going to kill you, go see a doctor.

Jeez.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »

Pretty much this.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's 2017 - wake up ZOS

Group finder takes long enough. Separating it into different pools would be stupid.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    people who are so super-speedy-fast that they just run trought the dung and "do not have time to wait few minutes" should take a break from ESO, at least two weeks, to chill a bit down, stressing too much is unhealthy!!
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kichwas wrote: »
    FFXIV does this one right. You're all stuck in a glowing circle you can't step out of until the last person has finished or skipped the cutscene.
    And you get 'double tokens' if there is a new player in the run.

- Do that with quests.
    - Somebody has the quest and takes it, you can't move past a quest objective unless it's done.
    - But give something like a skyshard (1/3 skill point) bonus for the people in there with the newbie.

screw that.I don't run dungeons for the quests.tell them to watch the dialogue on you tube if it's really that important.
  • r3ap3rsg
    r3ap3rsg
    ✭✭

It's 2017 - wake up ZOS

No because I guarantee some *** that wants to read the quests will check off speedrun just to be a *** lol.
This discussion has been closed.