Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What's a PUG? Where's the glossary?

TigerSeptim
TigerSeptim
✭✭
This one has been playing MMO's for some time now, and has learned many terms by experience. But ESO seems to have its own jargon, quite apart from lore references and standard abbreviations. For instance, what is a PUG? All I know is that it isn't a pet one can buy in the Crown Store.

By any chance, is there a glossary of such terms here on the forums, or is it something experienced players "just know"?
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PUG has been around a lot longer than ESO.

Pick Up Group

a Group of random people picked up on to do group things.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • TigerSeptim
    TigerSeptim
    ✭✭
    Thanks; somehow this one seems to have missed hearing it before now. It was in such a group that he had his first, not-so-good experience tanking- but that was another game, in another galaxy. *hint*
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks; somehow this one seems to have missed hearing it before now. It was in such a group that he had his first, not-so-good experience tanking- but that was another game, in another galaxy. *hint*

Generally when people throw out the term PUG its implying a not so good situation.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. PUGs are generally best avoided.
  • TigerSeptim
    TigerSeptim
    ✭✭
    I knew there was a benefit to grouping with guildmates...
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PUGs are like talking to strangers on the subway;

Most people want to be left alone to do their own thing
    Some people are stupid crazy and a waste of your time
    Some people are elitist and scoff at speaking to you
    Once in a while, you will find a kindred spirit, but it's rare. I guess that's what makes it so special when you do find a person that's cool. A group of 4 cool people? Possible, but not likely...
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PUG is not ESO specific, and has been around for well over 20years we used to use the term when playing Ultima Online back in 1997, it means Pick Up Group, a group formed of random people.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    General Grouping
    PUG - Pick Up Group
    DD - Damage Dealer
    DPS - Damage Per Second
    LFG - Looking For Group
    LFM/LFxM - Looking For More / Looking For x More (replace x with number)

Trials/Dungons
    A small v before the acronym means veteran difficulty.
    A II after the acronym means part 2 of the story (variant of the part 1 dungeon)

AA - Aetherian Archive
    HRC - Hel Ra Citadel
    SO - Sanctum Ophidia
    MoL - Maw of Lorkhaj
    HoF - Halls of Fabrication

DSA - Dragon Star Arena
    MA - Maelstrom Arena

CoA - City of Ash
    ICP - Imperial City Prison
    WGT - White Gold Tower
    VoM - Vaults of Madness
    CoS - Cradle of Shadows
    CoH - Crypt of Hearts

Other ESO/Generic Terms
    Crown - Group Leader (denoted by the crown other their head)
    Stack - All group up close together.
    BiS - Best in Slot (best gear for that slot on a character)

PvP
    Zerg - Mass of players
    Train/Bomb Group - Large organised group of players running AoE skills.

Classes
    Mag prefix - Magicka
    Stam prefix - Samina
    Plar - Templar
    Blade - Nightblade
    DK - Dragonknight
    Sorc - Sorcerer

Eg. MagBlade - Magicka Nightblade

Loads more but my brains not working to come up with them, will keep editing as they come to me.
    Edited by Turelus on July 12, 2017 10:53AM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all your Glossary needs, try the ESO Slang and Abbreviation Dictionary or UESP's page on Abbreviations and Terms.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • TigerSeptim
    TigerSeptim
    ✭✭
    This one thanks you many times over.