Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Need Advice for New Graphics Card

Kallyra
Kallyra
Good afternoon all - I apologise in advance if this isn't in the right section and this will be a lengthy post for such a straightforward title.

So background time...

Back in January, my graphics card overheated (I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition on too high graphics to play with mods - bad me!) and died. I was planning on getting it fixed but the week after, I fell off at horse riding and fractured my spine. After scary times in the hospital, six weeks of mind numbing bed rest, I finally was able to play computer again. But then, reality set in and I had to choose between the new Mass Effect game or a new graphics card since I couldn't afford both. I chose the new Mass Effect. I hoped to have a job by the time the housing update released but that didn't happen. And then I hoped to have a job by the time Morrowind released. That didn't happen either. So now I'm sad I've missed out on so much and really, really, really want to play again. So I am hoping some time soon, I will be in a financial position to afford a new graphics card.

The only problem is I know nothing (much like Jon Snow) when it comes to graphics cards. The basics of computer hardware, I am fine with, however I also know you need to be really careful when choosing a new graphics card and I don't want to mess that up.

So basically, the advice I'm looking for would be any suggestions for a new graphics card that will work with my current PC and play ESO. Something budget would be perfect but as long as it isn't ridiculous expensive, I can make a plan.

This is my PC's original specs:
AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz Eight Core Extreme AMD CPU
MSI 970A-G46 970GX AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 MB
MSI HD 7870 2GB 256bit DDR5 Overclocked Edition Card
Corsair Gaming Series GS600 High Performance 80+ PSU
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz High Performance Gaming RAM
Windows 8.1

Thank you for reading through that lengthy post (phew) and I would appreciate any advice.
  • Drizzlee
    Drizzlee
    The 1050 is not that expensive and is rlly good!!
    But if hou want a cheaper one then buy the amd rx 460
  • Kallyra
    Kallyra
    Great. Thank you. I will look into those :)
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had to choose between the new Mass Effect game or a new graphics card since I couldn't afford both. I chose the new Mass Effect.

Ouch.

The budget options right now are the RX 460 and the GTX 1050ti (they're both in the $125-$175 range, depending on sales etc.). You can get either of these with 4GB VRAM, which I highly recommend. The 1050ti tends to be slightly more expensive but to perform somewhat better than the 460.

Be very wary about buying used right now. We are in the midst of a ridiculous Ethereum (cryptocurrency) mining boom, which means used versions of newer GPU models may have been used as mining cards (i.e., they've been run into the ground and won't work well anymore). If you buy used, look for a previous-generation GTX card like a 960/970.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Kallyra
    Kallyra
    casparian wrote: »
    I had to choose between the new Mass Effect game or a new graphics card since I couldn't afford both. I chose the new Mass Effect.

Ouch.

Yeah, not sure I made the right choice there ;)

Thank you very much for your advice. I will look into these. I don't plan on buying used - too risky in my opinion. When it comes to computers and computer games, I'd rather buy something I know will work than risk it not working.