Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New player questions, help please

pookeey
pookeey
Soul Shriven
I'm on console btw, and just have a couple of questions. I've tried looking a bunch of it up, but most it is from old guides (2014,2015) so not sure how good they still are.

- Lets say I want to play a healing templar, can i still level up using a two hander / bow, without having to spend countless days leveling up a resto staff / 1 hand and shield when I reach 50?

- Starting off, should I begin in the new Vverdenfell area, or start off in the beginning areas? Which would be more beneficial? I saw that if I start off in Vverdenfell i can join the mage/fighter guild and pick up all the crafting stuff early. Does it matter if I start them off early or is it okay to wait until I reach a main city like Auridon, if I was to start questing in Stros?

- Should I also be focusing on doing the quest lines for Mage, fighter, thieves, dark, undaunted guilds while I level up and skip the side quests in the areas? would that be more beneficial than grinding out those guilds at 50?

Thanks
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. As a healer you'll want to level destro and resto staves. You can level the others if you want. When you get to vet, you get daily enlightenment...400k ap earned at 4x normal rate. When I have a new vet character with an underleveled weapon, I do things like the world boss dailies, which net 100k+ ap. Turn in with a bar with that weapon and several skills equipped, and it'll level in a few days. Or grind the enlightenment w that weapon.

However, I prefer getting any skill line I know I'll want started.

2. In Morrowind Zos wanted to give players equal opportunity to start in Vvardenfell or the original game. The stories don't really overlap or spoil one another, so pick your poison.

You may do mage and fighters whenever you like. In the vanilla original game, there are several storylines: main story (via the prophet), a MAJOR storyline for each of the 3 factions, starting in the starter city and moving through all five zones, the mage and fighters guild stories. These all meet up chronologically when you open Coldharbour, and there are character and plots that intertwine a little.

3. Without any major spoilers, here's what you get roughly from these lines, in particular for your healer.

Mage: 2 skill points at the end, quest 6. But as a mag healer you'll probably want to level the line to 10, so might as well do the quests. The line levels by finding lore books, so the quests are entirely optional.

Fighters: not a lot for a magic character here. You level the line by closing dolmens and killing undead. You'll get there without doing the quests, they're totally optional.

Undaunted: this line won't open until your level 45. Its daily dungeons, not a storyline. The line levels via the daily quests and closing achievements on the dungeon section of your journal. Each undaunted dungeon contains 1-2 quests with skill points, so when you're high enough level you'll want to do these.

Dark bro and thieves: totally optional, but each main storyline quests has a skill point. This is a great source of points if you like playing the quests.

Wrothgar: some skill points in the main story, maybe 3-5.

Whether you want to do them as a vet or not is up to you. For me, before focusing on any of these I do the public dungeons. There are 20 in total, each with a sky shard and a group event skill point...so 26 2/3rd skill points all together...very helpful for a new character.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Morrowind, any new character will automatically start in Vvardenfell, unless you opt out of doing the tutorial. (Specifically, on an island near Vvardenfell.) You won't have a choice. However, you can leave Vvardenfell once you escape the slavers. Once you get to Seyda Neen (the first town you find), take a wayshrine off Vvardenfell, where you'll immediately be approached by a woman in a hood who will start you on the main quest. If you do her quest, you'll start the "Wailing Prison" quest, which was the original starting dungeon.
  • Grampa_Smurf
    Grampa_Smurf
    ✭✭✭
    pookeey wrote: »
    I'm on console btw, and just have a couple of questions. I've tried looking a bunch of it up, but most it is from old guides (2014,2015) so not sure how good they still are.

- Lets say I want to play a healing templar, can i still level up using a two hander / bow, without having to spend countless days leveling up a resto staff / 1 hand and shield when I reach 50?

- Starting off, should I begin in the new Vverdenfell area, or start off in the beginning areas? Which would be more beneficial? I saw that if I start off in Vverdenfell i can join the mage/fighter guild and pick up all the crafting stuff early. Does it matter if I start them off early or is it okay to wait until I reach a main city like Auridon, if I was to start questing in Stros?

- Should I also be focusing on doing the quest lines for Mage, fighter, thieves, dark, undaunted guilds while I level up and skip the side quests in the areas? would that be more beneficial than grinding out those guilds at 50?

Thanks

You can use a two hander - bow and level restro staff at same time by just placing restro staff skills in you action bar. Say put 2 two hander skill in and 2 restro skills in while equipping a two hander weapon, it will level both weapons at same time.

Also you can equip Destro staff and restro staff and place a two hander and bow skills in action bar and they will level up at same time.

This can be done with any combination of weapon skills - equipped weapon.
    Edited by Grampa_Smurf on July 10, 2017 8:14AM

Life isn't measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
  • pookeey
    pookeey
    Soul Shriven
    awesome advice, thanks for the tips guys.