Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Favorite headsets for voice chat?

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
For years I used this rinkydink $12 headset I'd order from Amazon for voice chat in games, and it was fine. Not the most pristine speaker quality, but I could hear me and other people could hear me. When the last one broke and they did not make it anymore, I switched to a Sades gaming headset, and I was startled to discover that it does NOT have mic monitoring, so I end up raising my voice when I talk so I can hear myself through these heavy earmuff speakers. This is not optimal, considering I game at night when others are sleeping (I need to know how loudly I am dropping F bombs when I get killed repeatedly! xD). So what headset do you like for using voice chat? Do you use a brand with mic monitoring (and if so, what is it?!) or do you just live with not being able to hear yourself without yelling?
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on pc? You should just be able to set up monitoring through your soundcard.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    Are you on pc? You should just be able to set up monitoring through your soundcard.

I worked on that for days, and researched, and talked to tech support, and this is what I discovered: I could have "hear this device" checked, but if the headset itself does not have microphone monitoring that is specifically for just feeding a low-level line of your voice in, then what you hear is your own voice delayed by whatever the minimum latency is that you can get, at speaker volume. Mic monitoring is a more subtle thing that mimics the way you hear your own voice normally when speaking without your ears covered.

It could just be that I was never able to get latency close enough to nothing to get rid of that delay, I could probably tweak how loud it was through an equalizer. But that delay is sooooooooooo distracting!
    Edited by Minyassa on July 7, 2017 8:52PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is I have been through 2 headsets with this game, and I use them one or two nights a week for about 2 hours each time. Otherwise, I don't use Voice Chat. First was a mid range Logitech Wired unit and the last was a Corsair Wireless.

Now, I tried this wired unit and absolutely loved the sound, but hated the wire as I could see me wrecking this and the USB port forgetting I had it on (it was very comfortable)

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming-Headset-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B00SAYCXWG/

So, I would recommend this one if you don't want to spend a Franklin on one of these

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Stinger-Headset-HX-HSCS-BK-NA/dp/B01L2ZRYVE/

I still have not found a wireless one I want to invest in. Since I have such bad history with these things, I might get a cheap one and just keep replacing it, or get one from Best Buy and get the extended replacement warranty which is supposed to replace it for up to two years.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    All I know is I have been through 2 headsets with this game, and I use them one or two nights a week for about 2 hours each time. Otherwise, I don't use Voice Chat. First was a mid range Logitech Wired unit and the last was a Corsair Wireless.

Now, I tried this wired unit and absolutely loved the sound, but hated the wire as I could see me wrecking this and the USB port forgetting I had it on (it was very comfortable)

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming-Headset-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B00SAYCXWG/

So, I would recommend this one if you don't want to spend a Franklin on one of these

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Stinger-Headset-HX-HSCS-BK-NA/dp/B01L2ZRYVE/

I still have not found a wireless one I want to invest in. Since I have such bad history with these things, I might get a cheap one and just keep replacing it, or get one from Best Buy and get the extended replacement warranty which is supposed to replace it for up to two years.

Lucky for me I'm used to wired. xD My friend went from a wireless to wired and I can't count the number of times she nearly ripped them off her head just getting up and walking away with them on! So with the first one, you could hear yourself all right? I wish I could find these things in a local store and actually try them first. :/