The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FIX YOUR [snip] SERVERS!

pogopwns_ESO
pogopwns_ESO
✭✭✭
I hope I'm not the only one, but all week has brought high ping holding steady above 300, with spikes in the thousands. Vivec is literally unplayable unless you group up and potato. It sucks when you don't know if weapon swap will work, or if an ability will even fire... I guess one good thing is it makes scrubs and Xv1 heroes look kind of almost good.

Edited title for profanity.
Edited by ZOS_Mika on July 14, 2017 2:08PM
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It's not the servers
    2. check the dev tracker

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    1. It's not the servers
    2. check the dev tracker

I'm pretty ignorant on how internet data transfer occurs - but, how can the issue involve so many different service providers, and not be an issue on zos' end...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    1. It's not the servers
    2. check the dev tracker

I'm pretty ignorant on how internet data transfer occurs - but, how can the issue involve so many different service providers, and not be an issue on zos' end...

I am not a networking expert so I don't know all the ins and outs but I'll try to explain.

The internet is made up of millions of routers all over the world that belong to all the different internet service providers. For the sake of simplicity, these routers decide how your packets of data travel from your home network, out of your ISP and to it's final destination. These packets of data can touch multiple ISPs along the way.

So for example I use Comcast at home, and am fairly certain the data centers that actually physically host ESO are Level 3. I live in Arizona, the game is in Dallas Texas.

When I ping the ESO server, my packets go west to California hitting ibone, one of Comcast's networks before travelling east towards Texas. At some point the information is then passed onto ATT's infrastructure in the area, before finally hitting Level 3 and the ESO datacenter.

Along this route there are ~30 different routers/nodes my information passes through, if any one of them is having an issue I could potentially see ill effects from it.

To add, if I ping a different server in the Dallas at Softlayer Technologies, my data never touches the ATT network at all.

What we've seen from trace reports from ESO players pinging the ESO servers, is that their data is getting mishandled at ATT, or possibly whatever is right behind it.

Players have been able to start using a VPN (virtual private network - basically makes it look like your connection is coming from somewhere else regionally) to connect successfully. What this means is that when the VPN is running, they are being routed to the ESO server differently.

So the TLDR part: It might not be any given players ISP, it might not be the ESO Datacenter ISP, but one of the ISP's that many players are funneled through as their packets are being routed the same way in between points A and B.
    Edited by Sigtric on July 6, 2017 10:39PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
    Options
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you could say it's sort of like like travelling across the country. We're all trying to get to Florida. There's a big crash on the I-10 in Texas and everyone who is coming from California, Arizona and New Mexico are getting held up behind it.

Folks coming down the 95 or whatever that is down the East Coast aren't stuck because of it.

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy crap @Sigtric ...that was pretty freaking good...

even with the overly dense cranium I have i still got it...so basically all the different isp's are funneling traffic they just a single hub at some point...

so somewhere along the way some poor dead hamster needs to be replaced...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy crap @Sigtric ...that was pretty freaking good...

even with the overly dense cranium I have i still got it...so basically all the different isp's are funneling traffic they just a single hub at some point...

so somewhere along the way some poor dead hamster needs to be replaced...

More or less

And it's not to say it is NOT something ZOS should be looking at. They absolutely should and have. They will/have reached out to ISPs involved trying to get it resolved. But it's just one of those things that if it is indeed a routing issue like this, as it seems to be, then it's not in ZOS' direct control, they basically have to put in a help request for it like we would with them.

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
    Options
  • Joffi
    Joffi
    ✭✭✭
    *psst* It's a series of tubes...
    "Bah... This is not the way... "

PC EU
    Tempora Jof, Daggerfall Covenant, Breton, Sorcerer, Vampire: "Being good is hard..."
    Jurfi da Nord, Aldmeri Dominion, Nord,Warden, Vampire: "Serving my own needs is easy."
    Randal the Second, Ebonheart Pact, Dark Elf, Dragonknight: "I refuse to feel the ex-slaver guilt I have."
    Inos sal'Ma'Nefic, Aldmeri Dominion, Imperial, Templar: "Heals by accident count, eh? Eh?"
    Desdenada Jof, Ebonheart Pact, High Elf, Sorcerer: "Righteousness is its own edict."
    Joffi da Rat, Aldmeri Dominion, Wood Elf, Nightblade: "Bah, this is not the way..."
    Indigo sal'Ma'Nefic, Daggerfall Covenant, Redguard, Dragonknight: "For glory!"
    Options
  • scrobey
    scrobey
    ✭✭✭
    I've been limited to grinding a public dungeon for my final sun sword. I still get booted while trying to loot a potion.. This is ridiculous
    Options
  • scrobey
    scrobey
    ✭✭✭
    Rubber band man! Wild as the Taliban!!!
    Options
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It's not the servers
    2. check the dev tracker

You must be new to MMO's then, when there is lag, poor FPS, drops you name it, its ALWAYS on your end.
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For once, it actually isn't ZOS's servers.

I had this issue, and by using a VPN to re direct, I lost these problems.

@Sigtric nailed it.
    Options
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    For once, it actually isn't ZOS's servers.

I had this issue, and by using a VPN to re direct, I lost these problems.

@Sigtric nailed it.

I can see it being easy to mistake for people who don't know how the internet works.

There are also legit kinds of lag ESO suffers from time to time that is a server issue. But yeah, in this case, what has put dozens of OMG LAG threads on the front pages of the forums for the last week? It's not directly under ZOS control, it's general internet gremlins.

Different problem all together but it is kind of like that one day 3-4 months ago when the Amazon CDN went toes up for a while and half the internet stopped working because of it. Anything hosted on their CDN was GONE for the duration, which is a TON of stuff from thousands of different companies.

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
    Options
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure what you're talking ab....

Sorry, I crashed. I'm not really sure what you're talking talking talking talking talking talking talk...

Sorry, message rate limit. I'm not re...

Sorry, a blue player cast Soul Trap, the game got confused, and all players froze for a few minutes before being booted. Anyway, I'm not sure what you're talking about, game works fine.
    Options
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if its not Zos but the overal internet arround the world.... why i dont have these stupid high pings in other mmos ?

yeah...... right....
    Options
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoliru wrote: »
    if its not Zos but the overal internet arround the world.... why i dont have these stupid high pings in other mmos ?

yeah...... right....

because other games had multiple datacenters regulated to regions like East coast and Pacific servers. ESO wanted the "mega" server and mixes all regions together.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

Options
  • Dedimos
    Dedimos
    ✭✭✭
    Sotha Sil EU lagging like never before. Permament 270-400+ ping even far from zerged areas, and many people are reporting same issue too. It becomes unbearable, but no ETA for fix, I suppose.
    Options
  • Carpe-Veritatem
    Carpe-Veritatem
    ✭✭✭
    The loading screens are worse than ever....horrible! And that is totally ZOS problem that they have shown either an unwillingness to deal with by expending the necessary resources, or a shocking ineptitude. But the money keeps rolling in from players wanting new doilies and wall sconces for their houses, so it's all good. Nothing to see here folks......
    Options
  • grim_tactics
    grim_tactics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It's not the servers
    2. check the dev tracker

Sorry but this is 100% ZoS' fault. Don't listen to them for a second.

I've played numerous FPS and several MMOs and this is the first game where lag is something you're forced to deal with on a regular basis and they refuse to take responsibility for it.

This is where we are now. It's bad enough broken games at launch is the norm - now throw in the fact you can have a paid sub and the game still isn't optimized.

So yeah - they do need to fix their servers.
    Options