Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trying to make an Iron Dagger...no option to craft?

SourKraut
SourKraut
Soul Shriven
Hi,
Firstly may I apologise for this question, as I would guess it has been asked many times, I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant to my query.

Anyhow, I am a level 4 blacksmith ( only just started) and I'm trying to craft a few iron daggers and apparel for a writ I have, but the craft option doesn't seem to show, even though I have all the required materials.
It maybe that the writ is too a higher level for me?...I'm not sure, or that it's the wrong type of 'clan' that I cannot make it?

Hope I've explained it correctly,...anyway thanks for any advice :)
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

Welcome to ESO :)

Iron is the first tier of materials, so there is no way that the writ is too high a level for you to use. My best guess is that the blacksmith station you're trying to use is designed for set pieces and you don't have enough traits researched to make that particular set -- this is ok as you don't want to make a set piece for the writs anyhow until you're doing master writs! Look at the tabs on the interface for the crafting station and note if they say set piece / non-set piece and choose the non-set piece weapon option.

If you are not at a set station, there are also 2 tabs in the blacksmith interface anyhow -- one for armor and the other for weapons. Daggers are the far right-hand selection of the weapons. Make sure you have the mats including a usable style mat (i.e. you know that style) in your account's bank or inventory.

Even without any research you can make the basic items without traits for the first tier of writs, so hopefully this addresses your issue.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • SourKraut
    SourKraut
    Soul Shriven
    Tevalaur, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'll have another look when I'm next online, but there are two tabs - weapons and apparel, so it must be a none set station.

I have about 57 iron ingots so have plenty of materials and highlighted the dagger in the 'top' window, but from there I can't do anything as no craft button is visible.

Thanks again :)

Edit: just reading your post again, I'm not sure what you mean about having a usable style mat in my bank or inventory?
    Edited by SourKraut on July 3, 2017 6:43AM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Style is what race style it is. You automatically know your own race style, but must collect motif books and pages to learn other race style. So if are a Redguard (for example) you need to either find Redguard style stones or buy them from the blacksmith merchant. The blacksmith merchant should be standing close to the forge, if you are on town.

Side note. Race style stones can be found in contains around towns or in delves. The most common way to get them is to deconstruct gear you find.
  • SourKraut
    SourKraut
    Soul Shriven
    ^^ thank you Ackwalan, I thought that was what it was ;)
    Cheers
  • wesley41
    wesley41
    ✭✭✭
    Another helpful piece of advice: start researching traits in blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking. If you plan on doing master crafting writs later or making your own armor/weapons, the earlier you start, the better, as the last traits in each discipline take 30 days to finish researching. If you don't have a piece to research, go to guild stores and buy something or ask a guild mate to craft one for you. ...but don't let a crafting station sit idle in terms of researching. You'll end up better off in the long run for writs AND you'll eventually have the ability to craft anything you want for any of your characters. You'll also be able to craft pieces for sale. Some players sell armor and weapons with certain traits for GOOD money on guild stores...so there's another benefit :)

Enjoy...
  • SourKraut
    SourKraut
    Soul Shriven
    @wesley41 Thank you for your welcomed insight in crafting...I still can't make the dagger though, sometime it doesn't even show any weapons or apparel...not sure if it's a bug?
    Think I'll just delete the writ and do something else :(
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SourKraut wrote: »
    @wesley41 Thank you for your welcomed insight in crafting...I still can't make the dagger though, sometime it doesn't even show any weapons or apparel...not sure if it's a bug?
    Think I'll just delete the writ and do something else :(

You should know natively your own Race's style. If needed, buy the racial style stone from the nearby NPC Crafter (not all sell them but someone in the crafting area will). They cost 15 Gold. You can buy base blue Motifs in Guild Traders for 100 Gold or less if you need any, but crafting writs don't care about racial style so make the race you are. Note the best source of trait and racial stuff is deconning mob loot.

Also, make the lowest level item for the material asked, so in other words, if your doing iron, make an L1 Dagger, not your character level. Also, don't improve it, they writ won't accept an improved item.

Finally, make sure you have no traits selected (I am not sure you can select a trait if you don't know any) because the writ won't accept a traited item either.

In other words, make the most basic lowest level thing you can make for the given material.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SPrincess
    SPrincess
    Soul Shriven
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Due to the age of this thread and the fact it may contain outdated information, we have gone ahead and closed it down. If anyone would like to continue discussion of this topic, please feel free to create a new thread with updated and relevant information.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.