The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Fine In Cyro, Rekt In Duels

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is this? In Cyrodiil I'm typically fine, I can usually 1v1 most players unless they're a skilled mag sorc, or at worst I can survive for a good amount of time before beaten. My kill/death ratio was 118/13 the other day. But 80% of the duels I engage in, say in wayrest, I get rekt in a matter of seconds sometimes. Doesnt seem to matter their build or class. I have no time to heal, can't seem to get away from any attacks, my own attacks feel like lame ducks and tend to just miss. I joke not, I can barely get off a crit charge and dizzying swing before I'm down. And I should note that if I duel someone in cyrodiil, it feels way better in terms of my survivabilty due to heals and my ability to get attacks off without being bursts down.
Edited by Vapirko on June 25, 2017 10:02AM
  • Drakhaon
    Drakhaon
    ✭✭✭
    There is bonus in Cyrodiil(Emperor, fort, scroll, etc) you may have not in other wayshrine.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drakhaon wrote: »
    There is bonus in Cyrodiil(Emperor, fort, scroll, etc) you may have not in other wayshrine.

Yeah I thought of that, but that doesn't seem to impact my performance in cyro to a huge extent unless we have emp maybe.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's you, it's them, if that makes any sense. Guys who do nothing but duels build differently than they would for Cyrodiil because they have a much smaller set of scenarios they have to be able to deal with.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Emma said . Duel builds are not Cyrodiil builds . Also people that duel practice way more then your average player running around Cyrodiil .
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Emma said . Duel builds are not Cyrodiil builds . Also people that duel practice way more then your average player running around Cyrodiil .

True that.
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you want to duel one-trick ponies in Wayrest?
    It's like going to the circus to see animals when you can see them wild in their natural habitat (Cyrodiil) - totally different beasts.

All I've ever learnt in a Wayrest duel was that Meridia's blessed armor is OP.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of players who duel are alot better than the players you meet in cyrodill. I realized once i started dueling regularly a couple years ago that i wasn't really as good as my cyrodill performance lead me to believe. Dueling for these years has really helped me elevate my game. I would say keep practicing against them it will make you so much better
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Why is this? In Cyrodiil I'm typically fine, I can usually 1v1 most players unless they're a skilled mag sorc, or at worst I can survive for a good amount of time before beaten. My kill/death ratio was 118/13 the other day. But 80% of the duels I engage in, say in wayrest, I get rekt in a matter of seconds sometimes. Doesnt seem to matter their build or class. I have no time to heal, can't seem to get away from any attacks, my own attacks feel like lame ducks and tend to just miss. I joke not, I can barely get off a crit charge and dizzying swing before I'm down. And I should note that if I duel someone in cyrodiil, it feels way better in terms of my survivabilty due to heals and my ability to get attacks off without being bursts down.

Players in cyrodill are generally not running setups designed around dueling. Rapids, Eye of storm, Magicka Det, Radiant Magelight, Flare, Siege bubble thingy, lots of other class skills that players will take because in Cyrodiil players will adjust their build to account for running with groups, or running against groups. Most players will not take the time to swap out skills even if dueling while in cyrodiil because they never know when they might get jumped, or when a large group will roll over the hill.

Players sitting around dueling though will run specific dueling setups, and will adjust skills for particular classes they face before starting the duel. Essentially you need to adjust your setup and work on your play to become better at dueling when its a pure dueling environment.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duels aren't skill based.

Its usually class and build countering.

1v1 builds usually use heavy or if they are mag sorcs or something have less sustain because its not needed.

People specifically make duel builds e.g. 27k hp dw stam nbs or s&b main stam dk's.

People sometimes adjust cp, skills etc... specifically for the people they fight.

So duels don't mean anything really they're just 'how do i counter' fights now days.
    Edited by leepalmer95 on June 26, 2017 5:19AM
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ur general player in cyrodiil has a group build
    Dueling build does not need to have group related abilities on there bar just some defense abilities and a good burst combo.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything said here combined with the fact that there's no need to be tentative during a duel. In Cyro you have to make choices about every target or risk getting caught out of position and melted. Often times the sheer chaos of a situation or the threat of someone interfering changes how someone plays.

I'm infinitely more aggressive in duels than open world cyro, because I know as long as I'm aware I have a lot less risk of eating unexpected burst and dying. In cyro I'm just as likely to try to burst someone at 60% health as I am to just reposition. In a duel I'm 100% going to use my burst combo every time it's up and has a chance to work.

Furthermore, dueling builds don't need to account for escaping/mobility so you can invest more damage or sustain instead
    Edited by Lexxypwns on June 26, 2017 4:50AM
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who duel regularly usually seek out the toughest people they can fight and fight them again and again in an attempt to get better, even if they lose 10 matches in a row. If someone pounds out 1v1s like that against the best people they can find then it's not surprising that they'd be highly effective in a 1v1.