Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

High Elf Nightblade DPS Help

ShadowVaper
ShadowVaper
Soul Shriven
I hope this is the right place to put this.

I bought ESO Morrowind when it released, I've never played ESO or any TES before this so I had no idea what I was doing when I was building my stuff.

I am a High Elf Nightblade using a Destruction Staff. Champion Points at 126 and my Spell/ Weapon Damage is only at 1436. My Spell Rest is 17532 and my Phys Rest is 16443.

I'm currently using a 3 piece Ebon. 3 piece Combat Physician. 2 piece Endurance Set.

I have no idea what I'm doing and I want to get my DPS up. Halp please.

Edit:

So I don't know what I did. Maybe my Spell damage was at 1436 bc I was in a group. But I am now using a 5 piece Netch set and it's at 1270??
Edited by ShadowVaper on June 25, 2017 8:12AM
  • agingerinohio
    agingerinohio
    ✭✭✭
    Netch is more of a Sorcerer set although I'm sure some people may disagree. Once you hit cp 160, I would highly suggest acquiring the Scathing Mage (it is the bread and butter for mag blades) set combined with Julianos (Julianos would be a great set to use right now over Netch) Also willpower jewelry with one recovery glyph if you find you need more sustain and the rest spell damage. Make sure to keep your buffs running at all times and maybe even run elemental drain on your back bar. There's a great mag blade build on YouTube by Alcast which could help you figure out what is best for you. Blobsky is another good one to look up.
    They thoroughly explain why certain sets and skills are essential for builds.
    I hope this helps!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a couple of issues, which we can start to hone. I took a quick look at Alcast's trial magblade build. Your not going to hit these stats, but as a guideline for how far you are from max, he's running 42k magic, 18k health, 2400 spell damage and 60% Crit. Some of this will require you to earn CPs over time, but I think we can push you a big step in the right direction now.

1. Gear is essential in vet play. Something like 40% of your stats come from your gear. You have 11 slots with a staff...these need to be maximized. The best bet would be to wear two complete 5'piece sets then a monster shoulder (Any that provides a helpful 1 piece buff). This is referred to as a 5/5/1 setup. You can also go 5/4/2 with a complete monster helm set. Or 5/3/3 with a willpower jewelry set.

I don't want to inundate you with gear suggestions because it sounds like you have a lot to experiment with before you're ready for that. But as a good starting point, on a magic character I consider Julianos to be an ideal starter set. It boosts dps. I advise getting to C160, finding a crafter (or if you can make yourself) and investing in a purple Julianos set. Any magic character you ever make can use this as a great all-around set, so it's a good investment. Then round out with another (almost any) magic set. And when you start to feel comfy with your c160 sets, look to upgrade weapons to gold. Armor can wait until you're really, really sure you want to max that set...there's not a huge jump from purple to gold armor. But on weapons, this really boosts the weapon rating, and therefore any dps you do while holding it.

2. For armor weight, you'll want mostly light then maybe some heavy to assist with resistance. You can go 7/0, 6/1 or 5/2 depending on how squishy you are. Invest skill points in the armor passives!! Note that on heavy you only need to focus on the ones per piece...the first three...and not the ones for a set of five, unless you go heavy someday.

3. Attribute points are (semi) important in ESO. Put them all in your fighting resource...and never worry about them again. If you have yours spread around, respec and push them into magic for a magic toon.

4. Next we fine tune a character with gear enchants. Blue, purple or gold glyphs are fine. When you max in the future you'll want gold, but for now there's not a big difference. With armor you start all fighting resource (max magic). Play and see how squishy you feel. Exchange some out for health if your health feels too low. Jewelry enchants are about power vs resource regen. NBs have great resource regen skills, so start with three spell damage enchants. If you need more regen, make one regen. These are vital! On my magblade, about 1/3rd of his raw power comes from his three jewelry enchants.

5. And finally, to boost dps make sure you're buffing well. Fighting in ESO is largely about keeping self buffs up. Your most important are major prophecy and major sorcery, which increase your spell damage and crit chance by 20%. Working together, these boost your damage by about 30%. Look for skills that offer these. (Entropy, slotting magelight, etc...there are several sources). Another buff you have is grim focus...use it...that's another 8% boost to hitting power.

Hopefully those help get you started. If you have any questions, reply here but include @davey1107 in the post so the system flags it for me. Happy to answer any questions.
  • ShadowVaper
    ShadowVaper
    Soul Shriven
    @davey1107 what would I need to farm to get the materials for the julianos stuff? It's all still really overwhelming
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davey1107 what would I need to farm to get the materials for the julianos stuff? It's all still really overwhelming

You would need to farm Ancestor Silk - you will need 800+ refined pieces, which mean close to a couple thousand raw materials. That will get you a 5 piece set of Julianos, since it is craftable.

If you want the Juli weapons too - you want rubedite wood - about 160 or so (I can't remember the exact number) refined for each staff you want made.

For your enchants you'll want to search for Kuta's. You'll need as many Kuta's as pieces you want crafted or upgraded.
    Edited by drakhan2002_ESO on June 27, 2017 1:53PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like drakkan said, you need relatively a lot of mats for c160 gear. Per piece it breaks down to:

130-150 refined silk, rubedite or ruby ash
    2 green tempers, 3 blue, 4 purple
    1 purple or gold enchanting rune per piece

So...let me think about which pieces to make this easiest in the long run. For the five Julianos, do:

Your two staves in sharpened (240 wood)
    Chest (150)
    Legs (140)
    Hands (130)
    Feet (130)
    Body pieces in divines, unless this is pvp gear and then impen

If you want to wear a piece or two of heavy, start w chest then go legs or feet. One piece of heavy won't hurt dps too much and will offer some good resistance.

You can farm, but my NBs gave up farming cause they're sneaky, lol. I run the dark brotherhood or thieves guild dailies, or the thieves guild repeatables. These reward motifs I sell for $20k+. It's faster for me than farming. But however you earn it, if you spend gold in guilds stores for mats then rights now for stacks on 200 I'm paying $4k ruby ash, $5k rubedite and (ugh) $15k silk.

Gather the mats, pick a style from ESO-fashion, then find a crafter when you're ready to have it made. What platform are you on? I'll see if I know any good crafters on your platform...unless you have a friend to make it for you already.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider putting some regen enchants on your jewelry to help with sustain
    Edited by drakhan2002_ESO on June 28, 2017 1:23PM
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭

If you're struggling with materials, you can make cp150 for 10x less and still get similar performance out of it.

If you don't have a crafter, highly suggest finding a guild and getting some help. Lots of guilds make gear for their members at little to no cost (seriously I have way more base mats than I need).

Other posters kind of threw the book at you, but here's the key two points:
    • set bonuses are important. Stick to magicka based sets for a magicka character.
    • The bigger the gap between your gear and your level, the worse the stats. Especially weapons. It sucks being under cp160 (gear cap), but once you make it, you can stop worrying about leveling and losing stats.
  • ShadowVaper
    ShadowVaper
    Soul Shriven
    So I found someone who was willing to work with me and hooked me up with a 5 piece Julianos set. 3 Piece Seducer. 3 piece willpower.

Thanks for the help everyone!
  • R4TTIUS
    R4TTIUS
    ✭✭✭

If you want help farming or anything anytime or just some general help, happy to crew up or that anytime, I will be switching my character from a stamBlade to Magblade very soon so will be looking for pieces around the same areas as you.

Only problem maybe I play on Xbox One EU, not sure what your on.

I've just come back from playing after about 12-18 months away and yes everything can be very overwhelming just try to find some good people to play and group with, I spend alot if my time with 1-2 other people and we quest, dungeon and go guild store shopping lol makes a huge difference and definitely got my head back in the game, so I can only imagine if you've never played before.
  • ShadowVaper
    ShadowVaper
    Soul Shriven
    R4TTIUS wrote: »

If you want help farming or anything anytime or just some general help, happy to crew up or that anytime, I will be switching my character from a stamBlade to Magblade very soon so will be looking for pieces around the same areas as you.

Only problem maybe I play on Xbox One EU, not sure what your on.

I've just come back from playing after about 12-18 months away and yes everything can be very overwhelming just try to find some good people to play and group with, I spend alot if my time with 1-2 other people and we quest, dungeon and go guild store shopping lol makes a huge difference and definitely got my head back in the game, so I can only imagine if you've never played before.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm running on NA. And at this point I'm about to just put the game down. I got my build to where I wanted it and wanted to upgrade it to gold tier, got, totally, *** on for even the thought. So now, where I thought my build was decent, because I was following what people were advising me, is evidently garbage.

Im so *** confused at this point man. ***.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let people gear shame you, lol.

Your set is a solid beginner set...meaning a basic set you can put on any magic character to assess their strengths/weaknesses, then swap out for specific content if necessary. But there's no "magic configuration" in ESO. there's no set that's going to make your character ten times stronger...a lot of that comes from experience and practice.

If confused about sets, refer to alcasthq.com. His builds are all solid, he always explains them in detail, and he offers multiple gear config and lower Champion Point configs. As you'll see, his beginner setup for a magblade dps matches yours. Take a look at his skills and CPs and see if there's any helpful guidance there.

A big issue for you might be Champion Points. I assume you're under 630. CPs make a big difference, obviously. If you're under max, just keep earning them and slowly but surely your characters will get stronger. You don't have to grind them all at once, and you can still tackle most content without max CPs.

As for your current gear...upgrading to gold isn't a magic solution. It's better, obviously, but it's expensive and it's not going to create a gigantic leap in stats. For your armor, taking each piece to gold adds maybe 2% more resistance and 0.25% more power. You can wear purple armor for a loooooong time as a more novice player, waiting until you're cp 630 and maxing the character. Weapons do get a nice boost from purple to gold, however, creating a 5-10% boost to dps. Purple armor and jewelry and gold weapons is a good place to start from.
  • ShadowVaper
    ShadowVaper
    Soul Shriven
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Don't let people gear shame you, lol.

Your set is a solid beginner set...meaning a basic set you can put on any magic character to assess their strengths/weaknesses, then swap out for specific content if necessary. But there's no "magic configuration" in ESO. there's no set that's going to make your character ten times stronger...a lot of that comes from experience and practice.

If confused about sets, refer to alcasthq.com. His builds are all solid, he always explains them in detail, and he offers multiple gear config and lower Champion Point configs. As you'll see, his beginner setup for a magblade dps matches yours. Take a look at his skills and CPs and see if there's any helpful guidance there.

A big issue for you might be Champion Points. I assume you're under 630. CPs make a big difference, obviously. If you're under max, just keep earning them and slowly but surely your characters will get stronger. You don't have to grind them all at once, and you can still tackle most content without max CPs.

As for your current gear...upgrading to gold isn't a magic solution. It's better, obviously, but it's expensive and it's not going to create a gigantic leap in stats. For your armor, taking each piece to gold adds maybe 2% more resistance and 0.25% more power. You can wear purple armor for a loooooong time as a more novice player, waiting until you're cp 630 and maxing the character. Weapons do get a nice boost from purple to gold, however, creating a 5-10% boost to dps. Purple armor and jewelry and gold weapons is a good place to start from.

Yeah. I use that site a lot. I'm Only 240 CP ATM, been playing ESO since Morrowind came out so, I basically still brand new. I'm running a 5 piece Julianos, 3 piece Seducer and 3 piece willpower at the moment. I have been trying to get into IPC for Scathing Mage but finding a group that isn't total garbage and wipes on the first real boss fight is hard as hell, if you even get into it. I tried Normal maelstorm areana and I kept getting *** on the ice level, so I basically gave that up (and I do know that you only get the real rewards on veteran).

I took his ability bars and kind of tweaked them a little to my play style, when I used his entire bars, I was getting rocked all over the place lol.