The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Recommend avoiding dwemer crates entirely, here's why

davey1107
davey1107
✭✭✭✭✭
It's a pity, I really wanted the Dro cub. But I'm going to put out a general consumer advisory to avoid buying any crates whatsoever. Feel free to ignore that advice, but it's my hope that if sales plummet ZOS will make the system better. Here are the problems with this season, based on watching a friend open his 15 pack then reviewing some 45 pack YouTube vids.

Also, It doesn't matter if you hate or love the crown crate system. This is about whether that system is a good value, regardless what one thinks. Crown sales are rare, so I'm going to use the cheapest "normal" prices to gauge value - $40 for 5500 crowns, and 5000 crowns for 15 crates. This puts the crates at $2.42 each. Based on the pulls, 45 crates reward about 200 spare gems, so $0.55 per gem.

Why this season blows a skeevers butt:

1. ZOS has added substantially more items that you can earn more than one of, reducing the ability to trade in items. In other words, unlike costumes where a second draw provides gems, things like those 100 gem furnishings can repeat. So you're not going to get gems for a stupid repeat tapestry...as if anyone wanted even one. You're going to get screwed.

2. ZOS has weighted the system to reward endless Nix Hounds (see other threads). My friend got 6 in 15 crates, online the 45 crate videos got 22 in 45 crates. And note that they've put the Nix as the ONLY pet in the 16 gem category. Others are all 40+, meaning they weighed the crates with the item that pays out the least gems for repeats. Scam artistry at work, folks.

3. The rewards are now stacked with mementos, utterly useless rewards.

4. The rewards are stacked with useless xp scrolls. Maybe nice in crown packs, but these are virtually worthless for most players, and can be easily made in game.

5. legendary rewards are now stuffed with crap. The number of total rewards went up to 23 from 14 (in wild hunt), locking players out of earning more repeat item gems for what they want. This includes making two items from one mask with very minor variations, adding more mementos, adding overpriced pets like the netch (which should be one category down) and adding items like motifs or xp scrolls to this category.

Based on the data, if a player wants a specific apex reward and can't pull it, it's going to cost $193.50. A specific legendary item is about $48. Whether the system is fun or not, the value sucks.

What ZOS could do to improve value and help customer relations:

1. Make an apex reward an apex "coupon" that allows users to pick the apex item they want. The prices are so high that it's unlikely people grind past one apex mount anyway...just let players have the damn one they want, you already charged them like $100+ for,the damn thing.

2. If they must include garbage in the legendary category, make this a choice as well. Meaning ONLY ONE furnishing item, ot 3-4. Like make a Clavicus furnishing category. The first time you pull it, you can choose a statue or a tapestry or a banner. The second time, you can choose one of those again or trade for gems.

3. Collapse items into packs. Three eyeshadow rewards is ridiculous. Make this a pack of three eye shadows instead of three rewards.

4. Change exchange rates. Offer 50% gems for repeat items, and 25% gems for ANY item.

5. Fix RNG. No item should come up more than 20% of the time. Look at how pissed people are over the Nix...you're burning out your customer base.

6. Standardize reward tiers. For example, eye wear, hats and tattoos ALL stay in the 16 gem category, costumes in their own category and pets all in one. Discount one if it stinks, but no 100 gem flower hats.

Until the system is overhauled, I recommend a total boycott. If we totally reject this season, we can get a better value next time around.

• Zhaedri
    Zhaedri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, I was really hoping the dwarven crate would be an improvement to the player experience of opening crates. Now it seems like it's taking advantage of people with gambling addictions and screwing their player base out of good items. So disappointing.
    @Zhaedri PC NA

• Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honorable mention goes to the newest feature: drop-locked items. Meaning, you can't exchange gems for them, no matter how many you end up saving due to trading in your mimic stones and poisons. Because this crate season already has massive balancing issues in terms of high vs low value rewards, these three mounts (the dual-colored horse, senche, and wolf) will be next to impossible for most people who want them to obtain.

Between this and players feeling ripped-off over the Nix, even a good chunk of the defenders are eager to see the Crate system crash and burn.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't get gems for tapestries/furnitures? You did in the last crate season
    *Special Snowflake*

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're trying to get something specific from the crown crates, of course they're terrible value. Working as intended.

If you have 1500 crowns a month rolling in for two years, and nothing at all strikes your fancy, maybe you'll drain some of the stockpile you have and see what you get. That is the only way to purchase a crown crate, or you WILL be disappointed.

I don't speak to if I agree with this philosophy/business approach.
  • grim_tactics
    grim_tactics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend that no one waste money UNLESS you have Crowns just sitting there and there's something you want to roll the dice on, but these are the worst RNG crates since they've been introduced.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to convince me. Pay for rng :D
    Edited by Banana on June 23, 2017 10:40AM
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too late for me.......I already purchased 15 of the crates. I didn't get any nix hounds! I did, however, get 14 monocular contrivances. On the up side.....I got the dwarven senche, 2 motif books, a guar ride and other stuff.

Oh! And I also got the DromA'thra cub. :p
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee. Rip-off crates are bad? Who could have possibly guessed? :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really sad that something already controversial has seen changes which are stacked even more against the consumer.

It really makes me sad that Zenimax/Bethesda/ZOS at whatever level this gets pushed have lost perspective of making games for their fans and care more about the money.

Hey, shouldn't be surprised I mean... paid mods right?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem not buying those . I have that black cat bad luck with gambling . Direct purchases only and I wish we had more direct purchase items . I like to support the game on top of my sub now and again . It's just never going to happen with lottery boxes .
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

This. This right here is why I'm glad there hasn't been an ES6 announcement. While there is admittedly no guarantee that a few years between now and then will save the next single player game from being microtransactioned to death, at least it leaves the possibility open.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem not buying those . I have that black cat bad luck with gambling . Direct purchases only and I wish we had more direct purchase items . I like to support the game on top of my sub now and again . It's just never going to happen with lottery boxes .

Ditto.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. This right here is why I'm glad there hasn't been an ES6 announcement. While there is admittedly no guarantee that a few years between now and then will save the next single player game from being microtransactioned to death, at least it leaves the possibility open.

Well, now that they have Creation Club, they might feel they can close the door on unofficial mods from places like Nexus. These just expose the players to an unsatisfactory experience full of crashes and poor game play experience. [/sarcasm]

ESO needs a "Creation Club" though. Consoles so desperately need add-ons to fix what ZOS cannot, or does not, want to fix. The only way I see ESO getting that is if ZOS/Bethesda/Sony/Microsoft get paid by the players for the use of add-ons. Something for all the new ZOS Monetization people to do. (I wish ZOS would hire ToS Enforcement people instead of Monetization people)

Edited by Elsonso on June 23, 2017 11:20AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah the crate experience was definitely made worse this season :/
    OP makes some good suggestions that don't lose zos money, and may even earn them some considering it will make crates feel less like an obvious con
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • SOLOistheNAME
    SOLOistheNAME
    ✭✭
    This was my first time buying crates since morrowind released and would probably be my last. I'm use to RNG stuff, but the amount of money these crates cost and the number of repeats you get is ridiculously. My signature says it all. lol
    Edited by SOLOistheNAME on June 23, 2017 12:24PM
    Trading Guilds: Ales and Fails & Beer and BooBoos
    Follow me on Twitch & Youtube: @TheManNamedSOLO
    "The Truth Is, The Game Was Rigged From The Start."
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    We def need responce for this
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only response you'll get is "we have moved this thread" or "we are closing this thread" . I've bought crates before, I collect senche items, but this season is terrible. Now with things locked behind a weigheted rng with no possible way to guarantee to get what I want, I'm done with crates. Once I miss out on one of the senche mounts there won't be a reason to keep collecting. This results in less money from me now and in the future.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I don't buy the crown crates. I prefer to spend my crowns on things that aren't controlled by the RNG.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »
    I'm glad that I don't buy the crown crates. I prefer to spend my crowns on things that aren't controlled by the RNG.

I didn't mind buying them before, but now after the first 15 pack I think I'm done.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also got 6 nix hounds in my 15 crates. Random huh...

FYIW Won't be buying crowns till next sale. Not spending that kind of money for 6 'random' repeats. Was absolutely seething.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Dark_Dread
    Dark_Dread
    ✭✭
    I agree, not to mention some of the items are notoriously bugged (like the eight fanged nose chain) and they do not respond when you let them know about it, leaving the customer feeling like they do not care if they offer a defective item, as my post got 0 responses after flagging a dev with the problem.

To me they are not worth the purchase and will be my last crate purchase. Devs can not be that unwilling to please or reward the players or they will simply stop buying.
    "Any man can overcome adversity. To truly test a man, give him power."(Thornwolf, Rowan Redwolf~AD)
  • TheRiverBlues
    TheRiverBlues
    ✭✭
    There's definitely a lot of "trash" rewards in this season's crates. Mementos with effects that don't last very long, costumes that are essentially recolors of themselves (looking at you ordinator armors) or are just minor alterations (IMO I like the snood but the variants with the flowers on it should not belong in any tier higher than superior) Motifs in legendary tier (Even with talk about a transmogrify system on it's way, who knows how long it will take for them to actually make it)

This was very lack luster compared to the Wild Hunt Crates.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really sad that something already controversial has seen changes which are stacked even more against the consumer.

It really makes me sad that Zenimax/Bethesda/ZOS at whatever level this gets pushed have lost perspective of making games for their fans and care more about the money.

As a modder I had never been so mad in my life, as the night of E3. RIP Bethesda. Losing focus all over again.

We can't crowdfund to make our mods better - but if Bethesda sees a chance to profit from OUR work well then:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Edited by lagrue on June 23, 2017 6:18PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • SirGabenOfSteamia
    SirGabenOfSteamia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »
    Honorable mention goes to the newest feature: drop-locked items. Meaning, you can't exchange gems for them, no matter how many you end up saving due to trading in your mimic stones and poisons. Because this crate season already has massive balancing issues in terms of high vs low value rewards, these three mounts (the dual-colored horse, senche, and wolf) will be next to impossible for most people who want them to obtain.

Between this and players feeling ripped-off over the Nix, even a good chunk of the defenders are eager to see the Crate system crash and burn.

Yeah, even the stupid resplendent sweetroll is paywalled. And it's like the only furniture piece I wanted from the crates
    And so, Akatosh revealed himself to a young Gaben, and granted him purpose.
    "Grant them Steam sales," he commanded.
    And obey, he did.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, you CAN exchange the Clavicus Vile banners/hangings for gems. I bought 15 crates and got the smaller of those Clavicus hangings, and exchanged it for gems.
    I agree with most of what you said, though.

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 24, 2017 7:12AM
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. I loathe RNG and wish the crate drops could be purchased too.
  • Blutengel
    Blutengel
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be bothered by all this if the crown crates we're at least more reasonably priced. A buck a crate would be ideal I would probably even buy a little more. Makes me sad that zos is becoming more greedy by the day.
    Time for reckless audacity and derring-do!~
    Crow-Friend Warden
    Najara the Crusader Templar
    Thomasin the Witch Necro
    R.I.P Vet ranks...
  • Ehrlichcoleb14_ESO
    I bought 15 crates. 11 of them had the same outfit in it. I didn't get a single legendary tier item or duplicate epic tier. Just a bunch of the same junk from the superior tier. Managed to scrap all of it for exactly 100 gems. :/

So basically. I paid $40 for a single outfit I wanted. Can't say I'll be doing that again. Was dumb on my part to expect anything else.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    16 crates (got me)

Nix hound
    Dromoathra seniche
    Breton Hero Outfit
    2 Ashlander costumes
    1 monocle
    3 different momentos
    1 clavicus vile statue
    1 ordinator costume
    1 Nedic costume
    1 Dwemer Hat

102 gems worth of duplicates and trash to save for the undead or daedra pack whichever comes first.

That said dissappointed the 2 colour dwemmer mounts aren't gem purchasable .

Not a great fan of rng's, however don't do female toons or non-armor costumes and non lore mounts so little else to spend eso+crowns on. Missed out on the old better stuff as didn't start eso till last summer so glad of the chance to pick them up.

That said, its about time eso let you cash in any crown crate reward for gems, not just trash/duplicates/decos.
    Edited by Thannazzar on June 24, 2017 9:59AM
  • Yarlenzey
    Yarlenzey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Too late for me.......I already purchased 15 of the crates. I didn't get any nix hounds! I did, however, get 14 monocular contrivances. On the up side.....I got the dwarven senche, 2 motif books, a guar ride and other stuff.

Oh! And I also got the DromA'thra cub. :p

You got MY crates. I had to BUY my monocular contrivance with half my converted gems.
    I wanted a Guar - any of the three available, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

keep the cat.
    I got suspenders for saying "Testicular Mass" instead of "Balls". like, rilly.