The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Templar build (no-CP)

Asardes
Asardes
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I'm pretty new to this class, so I don't know which gear I should be using.

For my 1st 1M AP to get assault and support to 10 I used:
5 Spinner's Garment (front bar, flame staff)
5 Shroud of the Lich (back bar, lightning staff)
2 Valkyn Skoria (heavy head, medium shoulder)
It worked well enough, I was able to get plenty of fast kills but I decided to pass that gear unto my sorcerer (he uses resto back bar and Infernal Guardian instead of Skoria), where I've found it works even better.

So at this point my Templar may need a new setup. I know many things have changed with the recent changes so probably older builds are no longer viable, especially in terms of sustain so I don't really trust those. I have all monster sets, most dungeon sets as well, and I can also craft any set at this point so I have access to a large variety. One of the sets must be for sustain, the other for damage. I have a few ideas but I would like to see what other people are using, as well as links to standard builds from where I could draw inspiration.
Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
Member of:
Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
Valinor Overflow: Trader
The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
Member of:
Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For no cp, this is the build jules uses which she got off someone else, it seems to work fine in non cp.

5x bsw (procs using your aoe fire dot)
    3x transmutation jewellery (+ s&b for 5x backbar) Or lich
    2x skoria
    2x Sharp willpower swords

Gonna need a few tri glyphs for hp and stam.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do have Lich shield in impenetrable and a sharp mace so I can go with that back bar. I've thought of that but I'd rather have a staff for some ranged attacks and weaving at least on one of my bars so I'm not very keen running as 2W/1H+S.

Another option I thought of is:
    5 Amberplasm: 1 sword + 3 jewelry + 1 small body piece (I have all of them, sharp sword, impenetrable all armor slots)
    5 Julianos: 4 Body + 1 sword (front bar) /1 destro staff (back bar). I also have a few Amberplasm staves if I want that set on backbar instead of Julianos.
    2 Skoria or Grothdarr (I have those in impenetrable as well all weights)

I think this patch BSW is not that great anymore because both the proc chance and the bonus have been reduced, and now has no advantage when compared to Julianos 5p. Templar can only proc BSW from reflective light and staff attacks. Julianos has a bit more spell critical instead of spell damage bonus, but I don't consider that a bad thing, since Templar has a small bonus to critical damage, and you can still crit pretty high with some abilities even against enemies with full impenetrable (~1800 critical resistance). I will most likely be running Atronach mundus as I do now and I've seen the critical chance is rather low with my current gear. Also heals can crit so I really want to boost that. The nice thing about Amberplasm is that it would be on my front bar where I spend most of my time (back bar is mostly for buffs), or both if I choose to run the staff from this set on back bar.

I also looked at the numbers:

1) Your build:
    Skoria+BSW+Willpower/Lich:
    Magicka Recovery*: 473**
    Effective Spell Damage: 626***
    Spell Critical :688 (3%)
    Maximum Health: 1064
    Stamina Recovery: 0

*raw spell damage + maximum magicka/10.5
    **theoretically, if you manage to proc Lich every minute, which is doubtful, in practice it will be probably closer to ~380 including the base recovery and the procs. If you use the last 2 pieces only on the back bar, you also lose the 4th piece bonus, that's also magicka recovery.
    ***if you manage 1/3 BSW uptime, which is doubtful on a Templar with a single fire skill (you don't even use a staff so you can't use clench/reach, force pulse or blockade) but you can proc enchantments from the swords. Even before the proc chance was nerfed the uptime against fixed targets, with multiple flame DoTs and direct damage running the up time was 60% or less, which made it superior to Julianos only with perfect rotation, which is not gonna happen in PvE.

2) My first choice:
    Skoria+Julianos+Amberplasm
    Magicka Recovery: 300
    Effective Spell Damage: 612
    Spell Critical: 2064 (9%)
    Stamina Recovery: 300

Theoretically slightly lower magicka recovery due to lack of procs from Lich - Amberplasm 5p on front bar keeps recovery high for most of the time though - but not such a severe issue since the staff on the back bar allows some HA weaving compared to the 1H+S setup in the first build. 6% extra spell critical, which is basically 55% of Thief mundus back. The really good part is the 300 stamina recovery, which is really useful, and means that I don't need to go with stamina enchants on some of the armor and lose magicka. Health is not that important because one shots are rare even on non-CP campaigns and Valkyn Skoria already provides one such bonus which is higher than a glyph.

3) My 2nd choice:
    Skoria+Rattlecage+Amberplasm
    Effective Spell Damage: 581
    Spell Critical :688 (3%)

This choice is clearly inferior to the first two, and the Major Sorcery bonus can be gotten easily from Entropy skill. It's advantageous to run that as well because it's counted as a DoT and will proc Skoria. Rattlecage is an overrated set for any class.

4) My current setup:
    Skoria+Spinner+Lich
    Magicka Recovery: 602*
    Effective Spell Damage: 543
    Spell Critical: 0
    Stamina Recovery: 0
    Spell Penetration: 4000**

*since I have 3 jewelry, pants and Lich staff on the back bar, I also get the 4p recovery bonus permanently. I assume a 1/3 uptime on that set, which is unrealistic as I explained above. I expect it to be ~450 in practice.
    **if the target has > 14000 resistance, this translates to roughly ~6% bonus damage. Most oponents in light armor can reach, and easily surpass this from various racial, class, light armor warding passive as well as minor/major ward buff. For example my sorcerer in 5L/1M/1H has around ~18K with boundless storm and aegis up. My Templar sits at 23.5K spell resistance with focus up. However the penetration bonus does not apply to shields, neither does critical damage. So this is most effective when the shields are down.

On top of that there's the bonuses from using an inferno staff:
    - Ancient Knowledge - 8% damage done on single target abilities (dark flare, radiant oppression)
    - Tri Focus - 12% damage done with heavy attacks
    - Inferno staves do apply the burning status which is considered a DoT and procs Skoria.

5) Another setup I could try
    Skoria+Spinner+Amberplasm
    Effective Spell Damage: 534
    Spell Critical: 688 (3%)
    Spell Penetration: 4000

I can achieve this by either farming another Amberplasm sharp sword, which may turn out nothing in the end, or farming/buying a Spinner sword which costs around 250-300K but it's rather time intensive to search on guild stores.
    2W skill line has the passive Twin Blade and Blunt that will boost all damage done by 2.5% for each sword equipped. That means that both single target and AoE skills will (puncturing sweep, reflective light) receive that bonus.

From my analysis thus far seems that options #2 and #4 seem to be the most promising

Side by side:

Magicka Recovery: 300 vs. 602 (450)
    Effective Spell Damage: 612 vs. 543
    Spell Critical: 2064 (9%) vs. 0
    Stamina Recovery: 300 vs. 0
    Spell Penetration: 0 vs. 4000
    Bonus Damage: 5% to all skills vs. >8% to single target skills

It's pretty hard to asses them, but #4 still seems to have the edge on both #2 and #1.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go amberplasm, Soulshine, skoria. Have fun
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Soulshine is one of the sets I considered early on. I have a complete set of jewelry, 2 sharp swords and probably a few impenetrable body pieces as well. But I looked closer and rejected it for various reasons:
    - it has only healthy jewelry (another set that I briefly considered, Rattlecage has named purple arcane jewelry that can be farmed from the same boss near the start of the dungeon)
    - discarding the jewelry for Amberplasm means that I need to wear 3 heavy armor pieces on the body, losing the concentration passive and the cost reduction and recovery from 2 pieces of light, which might also lead to a swap of a spell damage glyph to a recovery or cost reduction one to maintain the same sustain
    - the effective spell damage from the set itself is too low, and from what I've heard it doesn't boost puncturing sweep, just radiant, dark flare and soul assault; I've tried the latter and I didn't like it. I still prefer ice comet for the CC and ability to hit multiple target as well as the ability to fire it and retreat and the small stats bonus from the passives.

Overall it's a far worse option than those listed thus far. The only heavy set I considered is Seducer's since it partly compensates for the lack of cost reduction and recovery, but the resulting damage stats are way too low. I actually considered running light Seducer's with spinner swords and jewelry but the monetary cost is not justified compared to what I already have, can easily farm or craft.
    Edited by Asardes on June 23, 2017 6:26PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just had the Amber Plasm Sharp Lightning drop last night during the pledge run in vRoM.

I will run:
    5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, light legs, feet, hands, sharp sword on front bar)
    5 Amber Plasm (light sash, jewerlry, sharp sword front bar, sharp lightning back bar)
    2 Valkyn Skoria (medium head, light shoulder)

All armor pieces impenetrable with maximum magicka enchants, all spell damage enchants on jewelry, sharpened swords and staff, oblivion damage on Julianos sword, crusher enchatment on Amber sword, increase spell and weapon damage enchant on staff. Staff bar is just for buffs, HA and Eye of Storms ultimate.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I just had the Amber Plasm Sharp Lightning drop last night during the pledge run in vRoM.

I will run:
    5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, light legs, feet, hands, sharp sword on front bar)
    5 Amber Plasm (light sash, jewerlry, sharp sword front bar, sharp lightning back bar)

All armor pieces impenetrable with maximum magicka enchants, all spell damage enchants on jewelry, sharpened swords and staff, oblivion damage on Julianos sword, crusher enchatment on Amber sword, increase spell and weapon damage enchant on staff. Staff bar is just for buffs, HA and Eye of Storms ultimate.

This is pretty similar to one of my magplar setups--Julianos is going to be really sick next patch, too.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had some pretty awesome success running Rattlecage (Jewelry + Swords, farmed the hell out of the first boss for those arcane jewelry pieces, and got lucky as hell with the Omen's Edge drops from Iskra) with Julianos, 5 Light 2 Heavy. Maelstrom Resto on backbar to proc the precise regen bonus (or if you dont have one, just a resto or lightning will do. Regen is a bit on the lower side (1500 compared to the average 1700/1900), but damage is pretty high.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I will run:

This is pretty similar to one of my magplar setups--Julianos is going to be really sick next patch, too.

Yes, 2-3-4 piece set bonuses are receiving a buff. As a result I had to redo my calculations.

Effective Spell Damage: 612 -> 636
    Spell Critical: 2064 (9.4%) -> 3198 (14.6%)
    Maximum Health: 1064 -> 1205

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I will run:

Yes, 2-3-4 piece set bonuses are receiving a buff. As a result I had to redo my calculations.

Exactly. The crit buff is nice. I'm glad I have 5 light julianos, legendary, chilling in my bank...hasn't been out to play in a few patches.

Part of me wants to go 5x Julianos, 5x Mother's Sorrow and just live in crit.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars have so many options these days. In BGs I'm using Seducer + War maiden, 2x red cost, 1x recovery glyph with s/b + dual wield. Then Skoria or Bloodspawn, depends on which ultimates I'm running.

If I wanna be a potato, Wizard's Riposte & Seducer is a nice option, go with a (Random) resto staff instead of dual wield and slot healing ult. Your damage will be a bit meh but you offer support for your team whilst your purifying light can stack up some nice damage from your teammates.

I used to run Rattlecage + Willpower, as the extra skill slot on your bar really bnefits a templar - but it's been harder to sustain since MW so had to go with Rattle + Lich, which is also a pretty decent option but it'll probably be hard on no-cp. Could use 5 rattle + 5 seducer but you would need to farm the Arcane-Rattle-Jewellery.

Idk - I think I mainly run War Maiden + Seducer + skoria in no-cp these days, seem to work quite okay-ish.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scyantific wrote: »
    I've had some pretty awesome success running Rattlecage (Jewelry + Swords, farmed the hell out of the first boss for those arcane jewelry pieces, and got lucky as hell with the Omen's Edge drops from Iskra) with Julianos, 5 Light 2 Heavy. Maelstrom Resto on backbar to proc the precise regen bonus (or if you dont have one, just a resto or lightning will do. Regen is a bit on the lower side (1500 compared to the average 1700/1900), but damage is pretty high.

1500 seems pretty high, since none of those sets have a magicka recovery bonus. As you can see above I have considered Rattlegage, but rejected it precisely for that reason. A spell damage jewelry glyph is worth more (174) vs. a 2-3-4 piece set bonus (129) vs. a magicka recovery glyph (169). Furthermore, the spell damage multiplier is lower, a maximum of 25% from major and minor sorcery, so a loss there is more critical than spell recovery, which has a higher multiplier, from LA bonuses (4x5=20% from 5p LA, another 20% from major intellect from pots) so sacrificing spell damage for recovery on glyphs compared to spell recovery is not worth it. I'd rather have the recovery on gear, in this case 5p Amber Plasm bonus on both bars. Stamina recovery is also beneficial, because I need to be full stamina at all times, so I can break CC, dodge, sprint, on a very small pool. Also running a set with a health bonus allows me to use Whichmother's Brew. Atronach mundus is also receiving a buff next patch so my overall magicka sustain will increase as well. I might reconsider the former, and run with lower recovery, if I end up with higher than 2K, and run with maximum health+magicka food instead.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I will run:

Exactly. The crit buff is nice. I'm glad I have 5 light julianos, legendary, chilling in my bank...hasn't been out to play in a few patches.

Yes, that's an option for PvE, but in PvP the recovery would just be too low. I want between 1.6-1.8K base recovery. In some scenarios I literally have to spam harness and/or purge to stay alive. Siege weapons are brutal on non-CP and just rushing the flag when you break the door with all those oils is a real challenge.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I will run:

Yes, that's an option for PvE, but in PvP the recovery would just be too low. I want between 1.6-1.8K base recovery. In some scenarios I literally have to spam harness and/or purge to stay alive. Siege weapons are brutal on non-CP and just rushing the flag when you break the door with all those oils is a real challenge.

I've been playing with <1k regen in noCP for ages, but that's just me. Between 1 Tamriel and Homestead, I think I had 800ish mag regen. That being said, yeah Mother's Sorrow+Julianos would be a terrible open world setup. It would be funny as a flare lob build from keep walls, though.
    Edited by DeadlyRecluse on July 11, 2017 2:43PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I will run:

I've been playing with <1k regen in noCP for ages, but that's just me. Between 1 Tamriel and Homestead, I think I had 800ish mag regen. That being said, yeah Mother's Sorrow+Julianos would be a terrible open world setup. It would be funny as a flare lob build from keep walls, though.

Well, yes, but Templar has to go melee and put pressure on enemies to win. 1K recovery would be low even for PvE - where you can stay put and fully benefit from the rune recovery channeled focus, magicka steal from and orbs from healer - let alone PvP, where you have to move constantly and you receive little or no support. I actually run with 800 recovery on my sorcerer in PvE and have 1-2 heavy attacks in rotation to sustain, use force pulse to finish off trash (3.6K magicka back from passive), and Sorcerer skills are way cheaper than Templar ones; in PvP he runs with about 1.6K.

Dark flare has a high tool tip but it can be dodged and while you are channeling you are vulnerable to CCs and interrupts. At sieges people see you channeling and just move out of range resulting in wasted time. It's one of the abilities I haven't really been able to use effectively against players for this reason. I've only killed a handful of players with it, and I was just spamming it mindlessly at a zerg. I'd rather slot reflective light, which grants minor sorcery, can hit up to 3 players at once and being a DoT procs Skoria.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I will run:

Well, yes, but Templar has to go melee and put pressure on enemies to win. 1K recovery would be low even for PvE - where you can stay put and fully benefit from the rune recovery channeled focus, magicka steal from and orbs from healer - let alone PvP, where you have to move constantly and you receive little or no support. I actually run with 800 recovery on my sorcerer in PvE and have 1-2 heavy attacks in rotation to sustain, use force pulse to finish off trash (3.6K magicka back from passive), and Sorcerer skills are way cheaper than Templar ones; in PvP he runs with about 1.6K.

Again, I know all that and I understand that conventional wisdom is to run higher recovery than I do. I do pretty good with low recovery /shrug
    Dark flare has a high tool tip but it can be dodged and while you are channeling you are vulnerable to CCs and interrupts. At sieges people see you channeling and just move out of range resulting in wasted time. It's one of the abilities I haven't really been able to use effectively against players for this reason. I've only killed a handful of players with it, and I was just spamming it mindlessly at a zerg. I'd rather slot reflective light, which grants minor sorcery, can hit up to 3 players at once and being a DoT procs Skoria.

Oh, absolutely. I've never liked actually using dark flare, as it's too conditional to really count on as a main damage skill.
  • BaByDontHurtMe
    BaByDontHurtMe
    ✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of War Maiden and Alteration Mastery w/Skoria ? It's like having Seducer but comes in Arcane Jewlery and at the same time it drops cost of ulti.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of War Maiden and Alteration Mastery w/Skoria ? It's like having Seducer but comes in Arcane Jewlery and at the same time it drops cost of ulti.

Alteration mastery is actually a very good set, since it also reduces the cost of your stamina abilities. I'm not sure if it also reduces things like CC break, roll dodge and block costs or only actual cast abilities. War maiden is a decent set. The spell damage buff from the 5p only applies to pure magicka abilities, but Templar only has an elemental one anyway. However next patch Julianos will beat it when it comes to raw damage, because the spell critical buff from 1-2-3-4p bonuses is getting a whooping 55% bonus, while spell damage receives none. In PvE Julianos comes up ahead, and possibly even in PvP. Templar has 10% bonus to critical damage Piercing Spear passive. Even if Impenetrable trait gives 260 critical resistance per piece, that is only ~3.8% critical damage mitigation (68 is about 1% from actual tests conducted by players). Assuming 7/7 impenetrable setup, the mitigation to critical hits is ~26.8%. The critical component of some Templar abilities is quite high, not only for offensive abilities, but heals, so it actually makes sense to run a high spell critical setup, especially in non-CP, where you don't benefit from Spell Precision CP passive (12%) and with Atronach mundus. Thief mundus will be nerfed from 11% to 9% next patch, so there's no other source of spell critical besides slotting Mage's Light and equipment bonuses.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizards Riptose/Overwhelming/SKoria or Goth
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Soulshine is one of the sets I considered early on. I have a complete set of jewelry, 2 sharp swords and probably a few impenetrable body pieces as well. But I looked closer and rejected it for various reasons:
    - it has only healthy jewelry (another set that I briefly considered, Rattlecage has named purple arcane jewelry that can be farmed from the same boss near the start of the dungeon)
    - discarding the jewelry for Amberplasm means that I need to wear 3 heavy armor pieces on the body, losing the concentration passive and the cost reduction and recovery from 2 pieces of light, which might also lead to a swap of a spell damage glyph to a recovery or cost reduction one to maintain the same sustain
    - the effective spell damage from the set itself is too low, and from what I've heard it doesn't boost puncturing sweep, just radiant, dark flare and soul assault; I've tried the latter and I didn't like it. I still prefer ice comet for the CC and ability to hit multiple target as well as the ability to fire it and retreat and the small stats bonus from the passives.

Overall it's a far worse option than those listed thus far. The only heavy set I considered is Seducer's since it partly compensates for the lack of cost reduction and recovery, but the resulting damage stats are way too low. I actually considered running light Seducer's with spinner swords and jewelry but the monetary cost is not justified compared to what I already have, can easily farm or craft.

I use 2 amber rings, soulshine neck, heavy soulshine chest and legs, 2 ss swords front bar, amber feet, waist, gloves, vma resto back bar. Any monster set.

It definitely boosts sweep and flare, radiant, soul assault etc. One of my builds has an 80k sa tooltip. With out a doubt. You've gotta farm the right pieces though if you wanna do light armor. you're right, 3 healthy jewelery is not ideal, but it's not awful. I go back and forth between heavy and light by switching my monster set to the type i want and a few armor/jewelry swaps. Both do very well. I go 1 reduce cost 2 spell damage, thief mundus, witch mothers or jewels depending on if im doing bgs or cyro.

Not sure how 2 max magicka 2 spell damage and 2 spell crit is considered lacking for damage. Don't forget the 540 spell damage to your main attacks that doesnt show on your stat sheet but will reflect on your tooltip.

Vma resto enchant is decent sustain not effected by psns.

You definitely want light armor so it would require farming, but mazz is ez.