The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

How am i to play ESO when your partners in crime STEAM will not let me into steam anymore.

neverwalk
neverwalk
✭✭✭✭
I have not being BANNED by STEAM or ZOS, yet i can't get STEAM to open, my internet is working fine as this NEW Discussion is being enter here. If Steam can't handle this game for ZOS What -uckin' good is steam to ZOS except lose ZOS customers and a 25 month ESO plus member. I guess this is GOOD-BYE ZOS.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're complaining to ZOS about an issue with Steam? What?
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps google 'steam will not open' and see if any of the articles are relevant yes?

Is there an error message when it does not open? Does it crash or freeze? Does nothing happen?

Have you tried reinstalling steam perhaps?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to launch the game directly, as you can with many other steam games. Since it requires its own set of connections, not routed through steam, you should be able to just double click the executable.

Threatening ZoS because your Steam is having issues is hardly a way to get resolution on your problem.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you here then? ZOS has absolutely NO CONTROL over what Steam does.
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue two weeks ago, no matter what I did Steam was stuffed.

I moved my steamapp folder (because re-installing over 100GB of ESO would take almost a week) and had do a fresh OS install to get Steam working again...

I would love to figure out how to circumvent steam login and run the launcher/client directly but my attempts have thus far failed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PC EU
    Qura Scura | Altmer | MagBlade
    Lhylyth | Breton | MagPlar
    Nhynyth | Khajiit | MagDK
    Ghwynyth | Dunmer | MagSorc
    Loots-All-Urns | Argonian | MagDen
    Shades-Of-Gray | Argonian | StamDK
    Or'Chastration | Orc | StamSorc
    Little Miss Famished | Orc | StamCro
    Fhane Sharog | Orc | StamDen
    Dead Moons Rising | Khajiit | StamBlade
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps google 'steam will not open' and see if any of the articles are relevant yes?

Is there an error message when it does not open? Does it crash or freeze? Does nothing happen?

Have you tried reinstalling steam perhaps?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

@SantieClaws the forums is no place for logic.

But seriously OP. She is onto something and behind that you need to work with Steam. Zos cannot help someone with steam issues.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how this is a ZOS issue. :/
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought quit threads were against the ToS. Anyway, as someone else suggested just use the executable to open the launcher. My second account was bought through steam and I never use the steam client to log into it.
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    CarbonX wrote: »

Why is this a problem for ZOS?

Do you know how confusing and convoluted the process of integrating with Steam is?

I'd say the OP is frustrated and raging, yes, but this is ZOS's problem because they're now facing the loss of a customer due to the lack of clear and helpful information pertaining to a sales partnership.

Steam not working is Steam's problem, agreed, but if it's at all possible to run the ESO client without needing Steam to be running, make the information available. I for one hate having the Steam client running while I'm playing.
    PC EU
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarzAttakz wrote: »

Do you know how confusing and convoluted the process of integrating with Steam is?

I'd say the OP is frustrated and raging, yes, but this is ZOS's problem because they're now facing the loss of a customer due to the lack of clear and helpful information pertaining to a sales partnership.

Steam not working is Steam's problem, agreed, but if it's at all possible to run the ESO client without needing Steam to be running, make the information available. I for one hate having the Steam client running while I'm playing.

solution:
    Don't buy Steam games....it's not a ZOS issue is what many have concluded for the comments and context of the OP based on support article FAQ
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something I've been wondering for a while, actually. Those of us who purchased ESO directly from this website, not steam, have a "Download Game" button next to the game info on the My Account page, which gives us the launcher. I'm assuming people who bought it through Steam don't have that?

If you guys don't have that button, then assume ZOS is prohibited from giving you the launcher because of their deal with Steam. In that case, their hands are tied, and it's back to being Steam's problem.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 21, 2017 2:54PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something I've been wondering for a while, actually. Those of us who purchased ESO directly from this website, not steam, have a "Download Game" button next to the game info on the My Account page, which gives us the launcher. I'm assuming people who bought it through Steam don't have that?

If you guys don't have that button, then assume ZOS is prohibited from giving you the launcher because of their deal with Steam. In that case, their hands are tied, and it's back to being Steam's problem.

Though actually, to add to this, have you guys dug into the steamapps folder on your hard drive to see whether there's a launcher in there you can load manually? Basically, I'd go into the ESO/Zenimax/whatever folder in there and start clicking .exe files to see if there's a launcher there that works without steam being active. If so, save s shortcut to that file on your desktop. That's how I used to load Skyrim when steam was being a butt, though that didn't require internet access, so the case may be a bit different.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 21, 2017 2:59PM

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

• Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    stupid quote function.
    Edited by Master_Fluff on June 21, 2017 3:00PM
    Halcyon Black
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to see u have issues, OP, but why on Nirn would anyone use steam to play ESO is beyond me.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Sorry to see u have issues, OP, but why on Nirn would anyone use steam to play ESO is beyond me.

Likes overhead from steam client
    Likes lag from above
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Here you are referring to something different; ZOS not providing (in your opinion) clear information about playing TESO through Steam.

The OP situation is still not a ZOS issue (regardless the information ZOS provides, or not), but a Steam issue.

PS: If you hate the Steam client then why you use Steam?

• MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭

Though actually, to add to this, have you guys dug into the steamapps folder on your hard drive to see whether there's a launcher in there you can load manually? Basically, I'd go into the ESO/Zenimax/whatever folder in there and start clicking .exe files to see if there's a launcher there that works without steam being active. If so, save s shortcut to that file on your desktop. That's how I used to load Skyrim when steam was being a butt, though that didn't require internet access, so the case may be a bit different.

We have the regular and steam launchers in different folders within steamapps/common/blah-blah, and the client in it's own folder as usual. We're able to run the stand-alone client no problem, the trouble is logging into our accounts... We're told to log in via Steam, similarly when using the account or support pages... The issue is the way a Steam Account is linked to an ESO Account.

PC EU
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can open your Windows event viewer and see what caused it to shut down.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have the regular and steam launchers in different folders within steamapps/common/blah-blah, and the client in it's own folder as usual. We're able to run the stand-alone client no problem, the trouble is logging into our accounts... We're told to log in via Steam, similarly when using the account or support pages... The issue is the way a Steam Account is linked to an ESO Account.

Ugh, gross. In that case, my guess is that the "log in through steam" thing was part of the contract between the two companies regarding steam-purchased copies, so there's probably no way for you guys to log on without it. Sorry. :(

My Girls:

• MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    solution: Don't buy Steam games....it's not a ZOS issue is what many have concluded for the comments and context of the OP based on support article FAQ
    Here you are referring to something different; ZOS not providing (in your opinion) clear information about playing TESO through Steam.

The OP situation is still not a ZOS issue (regardless the information ZOS provides, or not), but a Steam issue.

To answer both of you, there are some places on this planet where Steam is the most reliable and secure method of maintaining a digital game library, if you're not from one of those places then be glad!

Furthermore, read the title of the OP... He's actually asking ZOS how to play ESO without needing to run Steam! Just because he's ranting doesn't mean he hasn't asked a pertinent question. Please read my response a little further up which outlines the issue in a further detail.
    PC EU
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy things on steam, risk downtime and issues due to steam.

Applicable to every game on steam.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

...if you're not from one of those places then be glad!

I use TESO through Steam since the very first day (more than two years). Glad I have never had any issues. :)

• alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u never said if steam could update, if not then u probs have the app bootstrap already running, which you need to stop, also sometimes clearing your cache helps, but they may have been a curropted file download when steam starts, as when it does it always updates, in rare occasions you will have to unistall all of steam and all of its files, if you leave 1 file in place it will still not open
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @neverwalk Go to Program files(x86)/steam/steam apps/common/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client and see if you can start your game using the eso64.exe

I use that to start my game which I purchased from Steam.
    Edited by Hippie4927 on June 21, 2017 4:00PM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    solution: Don't buy Steam games....it's not a ZOS issue is what many have concluded for the comments and context of the OP based on support article FAQ

To answer both of you, there are some places on this planet where Steam is the most reliable and secure method of maintaining a digital game library, if you're not from one of those places then be glad!

Furthermore, read the title of the OP... He's actually asking ZOS how to play ESO without needing to run Steam! Just because he's ranting doesn't mean he hasn't asked a pertinent question. Please read my response a little further up which outlines the issue in a further detail.

The fact that he is ranting does, however, mean that he won't get a decent answer from ZOS. Why should they bother to read, let alone reply to, a post title like this one?
  • zergbase_ESO
    zergbase_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Op can download standalone game... like steam issues are not ZoS issues lol... Well at least I got good chuckle today.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarzAttakz

Their answer is on the ZOS support page
    I fully understand their question, the context is the customer decides whether to buy from Steam or directly from ZeniMax.

The issue however isn't going to be resolved by ZeniMax as they've provided information in a few different support articles as well as occasional Dev comment found via the search function on the forum here.

I'm not wanting to be rude or short but I understand it's going to read that way.

1. https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22446/kw/Steam

WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN I RECEIVE STEAM ERRORS RELATED TO CORRUPT OR MISSING FILES, OR WHEN I AM UNABLE TO LAUNCH MY GAME ON STEAM?
    Updated 04/20/2017 04:56 PM Published 07/20/2014 02:38 PM
    You can run the "Verify integrity of game cache..." option if you are unable to launch your game on Steam or if you receive Steam error messages about corrupt or missing files. To do so, please follow the instructions below:

Load Steam;
    From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu;
    Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button;
    Steam will verify the game's files. This process may take several minutes;
    Once the process is complete, close the window and launch the game again.

2. You must buy from Steam to use Steam....or....buy from ZOS not to need to use STEAM

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36514/kw/Steam

HOW DO I MAKE MY NON-STEAM VERSION OF THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE STEAM INTEGRATED?
    Updated 11/04/2016 10:44 PM Published 10/31/2016 01:56 PM
    If your version of The Elder Scrolls Online was not purchased from Steam, you must purchase the game on Steam and then link it to your existing ESO account.

Once you have a copy of ESO associated with your Steam account (and it is installed via the Steam client), you can link it to your ESO account by following the process below:
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on June 21, 2017 4:48PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can open the base game separately from Steam no problem, but if you bought the Morrowind pack on Steam you can only access it through Steam. (Unlike your ESO+ status, which is tied to your ESO account, not your Steam account.)
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why use Steam? I don't use if for ESO at all, never have, never will. Why run another program to launch ESO? It's just more junk your computer has to do taking away CPU time from ESO.
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay so I'm flogging a dead horse here...

[insert meme gif]

Running ESO64.exe from the steamapps folder: no problem
    Try to login: not gonna happen due to account not being recognised despite credentials being correct (ESO & STEAM)

Try to log into your account, opens webpage with the following down the side:

If you’ve linked your Steam® account to The Elder Scrolls® Online, you can sign into our account system with your Steam® login details. If you haven’t yet linked your account, just start the game from the Steam® client and proceed through the linking process. In order for this to work you will need to have purchased a version of The Elder Scrolls® Online through Steam®.

Entering my ESO account name and password do not work, entering my Steam account name and password do not work.

So in summary the only way to play ESO if you've purchased it through Steam and linked your account is by using the Steam Launcher and the only way to log into your account is by using the Steam gateway.

Makes no sense in my opinion, other games like Lotro, Tera and Neverwinter all have unique user accounts despite being used via Steam.

But whatever...

OP, I understand your frustration, I had the same issue two weeks ago, long story short I had to re-install my OS because Steam broke. Next time round don't do anything when it loads up and verifies the installation.

Edited by MarzAttakz on June 21, 2017 6:19PM
    PC EU