Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Wood elf Templar?

king408
king408
I want to make a healer , but also use bow as my weapon, should i focus more on healing or weapon to make the build better? For grouping, soloing, questing, pvping?

Best Answers

• White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Delete and pick a better race and drop bow that's for starters
    Answer ✓
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to make a wood elf Templar. I have a few healers but they are all high elf templars and are very tall.

I think you should do this:
    create a wood elf stam nb: bow and DW
    create a healer ( high elf or Breton )

Both are fun to play.

Note:
    I use DW, 2 handers, and B&S on most my wood elves. PvP I like to use a bow and 2 hander, but when doing group content I like to use B&S and DW. DW is good at grinding mobs.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

Answer ✓
  • king408
    king408
    Thanks, i guess time to reroll ;p
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races tend to be inclined toward stamina characters, magic characters or health (tank) characters. Take a look online at each race's racial passives...this is how you tell.

You can make any race either a stamina or magic character...it's just that if you go opposite a race's inclination they'll miss out on some powerful buffs. You could make a stam wood elf and get the racial buffs, but a stamina character won't make a very good healer. But you can ignore the racial passives and pump magic into a wood elf if you like.

Now...can you play any race in any role and be good for 98% of the game's content? Sure. It's just that if you take the character to end game and want to play very hard content, they'll be at a 2-5% disadvantage. Which is somewhat significant.

My advice is to play what you like. If you're new to the game, there's tons to learn. If you take a character down the wrong path, respec later. If you created a magic wood elf, theres a very good chance you'd shift them to a stamina character eventually. But this isn't a horrible process...you don't lose skill points or anything significant, you'd just have to spend a little gold then put some work into leveling up alternative, stamina based skills.

As for bows...ignore the other poster...they have no idea what they're talking about. On a stam wood elf, dual wield and bow combos are very good. The bow is entirely powerful if you know how to use it...it is currently a favorite for back bar in end game pve, and either front or back in pvp.

EDITED NOTE: Ha, I forgot this, but my friend wanted a wood elf Templar healer previously, but passed on it because of the racial passives instead he made a Breton at the shortest setting, played with his ears to give them kind of tips, gave him a Mohawk, and designed him so he could pretend he's half wood elf. And the toon is always mistaken for a wood elf...he's freaking tiny. So there's an option for your healer.
    Edited by davey1107 on June 20, 2017 6:18PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healers and tanks don't need min maxed racials. Don't believe me? Google Woeler's khajiit tank.

As for healing with a bow, try a warden. Vigor, soothing spores, and green lotus is more than enough to make you a bow healer capable of vet dungeons!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love wood elves and bows also but, honestly, a Bosmer templar bow healer is, in my opinion, a bridge too far. That is the bad news.

The good news is you only really need to drop one of those non-meta factors. I have a Bosmer magplar healer and she is fabulous. I will say that she is wearing 7 light, a resto staff on one bar and a destro staff on the other, sets that are fairly good choices and we have studied/practiced the healer craft diligently for a long time.

I also run another Bosmer who is a magsorc with pets and she also does very well.

My belief is that your race is actually not as big a deal as some might caution. With care, a Bosmer makes a fine magicka character. That is, both my elves can easily solo public dungeons. Both can carefully solo dolmens. Both can very carefully solo a moderate number of world bosses. So it depends what your objectives are. Mine? I simply love the idea of being the shortest healer and wizard on the battlefield. ;)

I really would abandon the bow idea though. If you want to be a healer, you really do want to tote a resto staff on at least one bar. Probably a destro staff on the other for at least Elemental Drain.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 20, 2017 11:31PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo