The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Player/Guild Store

Kaleidoscope
Hi experts,

I'm a retuning ESO player, easily less than 100 hours experienced and am in need of set/guild store advice.

It was recommended for my build (Dark Elf Magicka Nightblade Vampire, level 20), to start out with a set like the Mothers Sorrow - how do I go about finding this specific set in the guild trader stores?

I was going to try the old fashion way and try to farm in but this seems easier (if possible).

Also, forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section. Also feel free to let me know if there's a better set I could be going for!

Best Answer

• Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    Information on the Mother's Sorrow Set can be found here Mother's Sorrow Set including where it drops. Although @Kaleidoscope has already confirmed that it is specific to the zone of Deshaan.

You might be able to farm the set from Deshaan, or purchase it from Guild Stores. The Tamriel Trade Centre Web Search Function might help you locate Guild Stores that are currently stocking items from that set. I searched a few minutes ago and found three pieces being offered for sale.

In the meantime you might want to consider going for a temporary crafted alternative such as Law of Julianos. The Julianos set doesn't offer quite as much of a boost to your spell critical as Mother's Sorrow (8.1% instead of 13.8%). However, it does provide a direct boost of +299 Spell Damage, which Mother's Sorrow doesn't. So, its not a bad substitute until you can farm or purchase what you want.
    Answer ✓
  • Kaleidoscope
    Ebonhart Pact btw, so I'm currently in Deshaan
  • Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    Which faction your character is in doesn't really matter anymore. The One Tamriel update did away with arbitrary factions boundaries.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So some advice on your question. Let's start with some help on guild stores for new players.

Best guild store locations: the most expensive locations tend to bring the most stocked stores, which can be found in Elden root, Rawlkha, Wayrest and Mounrhold.

Searching for gear: you can't look up a specific set, so the best you can do is use appropriate filters. For armor, I set the character level range, armor weight (drop sets mostly come in One weight), then I might search a specific piece and trait (i.e., chest and divines). This can narrow things down to find what you want piece by piece.

Low level gear isn't generally in guild stores: that all said, people don't list low level gear anymore. It's not worth enough to take up inventory slots, and you can only pick it up with a character of that level...and most people don't farm w a low level toon to get gear to sell. Also, gear is only good within about five levels of the character's level...by the time you farm/collect a full set of lvl 20 stuff you might be lvl 25 and need to throw it all away.

Use craft sets: your best bet is to use crafted sets while you're leveling. You can't make jewelry, but that's ok. Wearing a 5 piece set then 3-4 pieces of another set will easily suffice for low level play. Two craft sets to consider are Magnus and Seducer. This is a 3 and a 4 trait set...you can complete this research in less than a week. Learn each piece in divines, training, infused, then whatever else you have. You can buy pieces to research in guild stores for about 500ish each piece, or put out a zone chat and ask someone to make you a light divines set for research. People are usually happy to do it for cheap/free. Guildies might help too.

As an alternative you can find a crafter to make it for you, but honestly you'll be better off just doing the research and making your own. Then you can upgrade whenever you like. If you do decide to do research, go ahead and do up to 6 traits in all the stuff you use. Being able to craft six trait sets is useful well into vet.

The crafted set route isn't quite as powerful as Mother's Sorrow, so mahbemypunwant to farm/grind it. But the crafted set configuration is about 95% as powerful, and saves hours and hours of looking and relooking for gear.

The time to for sure start looking for drop sets like Mothers Sorrow is when you get past vet and 160 champion points. (It doesn't take as long as it might sound). C160 gear is prolific in guild stores, and that's where you can start accumulating sets that will last long enough to be worth the effort.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no point making a build at level 20. Each area has their own sets. Pick up a magicka light armor set which drops in your current area. Run few times dolmens to get three jewelry pieces of the set and you should have at least one five-piece set. Then fill in whatever random pieces you have. Keep changing pieces as you level up. When you switch to next area, repeat.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    I usually replace my characters crafted sets when the 'Equipment Bonus' listed on their character sheet drops to 2 stars.

One of the advantages of being a master crafter is that my characters always have the best epic gear available for them, and so have the maximum possible advantage when questing dealing with world bosses. For me that's part of the enjoyment of the game, and the main purpose of crafting.

Waiting until the end game seems a bit like a waste.
  • Kaleidoscope
    Very helpful. I might just continue as I am and continue to swap bits and pieces until I start looking at builds.

I'm just getting ahead of myself I guess, there's too many options in this damn game haha