Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

WHERE ARE THE HYBRID(STAMINA AND MAGICKA) BUILDS AT? FOR ALL CLASSES?

Sarato
Sarato
✭✭✭
We need some more hybrid builds! I'm personally looking for a night blade one.
Take me drunk, I'm home. Fav song: Pony - Ginuwine
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are blown away and disliked by the community, because pure Mag, pure Sta, and pure Health means more power and longer casting, more weapon dmg and more hits, and larger health pools and bigger shields.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    No reason to do them, the only viable form of a hybrid is a tank which balances all resources.
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is hybrid Warden builds out there which can be fun to play. The great thing about ESO is that you can be effective playing a hybrid character in solo PVE. However, if you want to play group PVE or PVP, you'll probably find yourself at a slight disadvantage. Since damage scales off your magicka/stamina, it makes sense to have as large a pool as possible.

Me, personally, about as hybrid as I get is that I'll put 10 points into health and 54 points into stam/magicka. But those would classes like a stamina templar or magicka nightblade. Those extra points in health can make all the difference and it doesn't affect my DPS too much.
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a hybrid NB I can tell you it's extremely skill point intensive. Maybe less intensive if you don't want to use a lot of different sets, but you have to do that, IMHO, if you want to be successful in multiple scenarios. I also craft on this character, have around 345 skill points and still need 26 skill points to finish rounding out my guy.

Look at shacklebreaker or pelinals if you want to go hybrid, and then base your choice around which race you choose and their passives. Your second set should drive whether you invest more in magicka or stamina, but TBH you will get a lot more mileage out of magicka than stamina.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly there are very few if any Stamina builds. The design of this game means you're either Magicka or Hybrid.

Even though a few class skills spend Stamina these days, you're probably still using some that spend Magicka for utility.

"Stamina builds" are largely hybrid builds and have the advantage of being able to spec into Stamina (buffing not only damage but also Blocking, Dodging, and Break Free) while still having a reserve Magicka pool for CC, healing, etc where your max resource isn't as important. Magicka builds are at a disadvantage because their damage is also their utility resource and they can't Block/Dodge/Break Free as well.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    Honestly there are very few if any Stamina builds. The design of this game means you're either Magicka or Hybrid.

Even though a few class skills spend Stamina these days, you're probably still using some that spend Magicka for utility.

"Stamina builds" are largely hybrid builds and have the advantage of being able to spec into Stamina (buffing not only damage but also Blocking, Dodging, and Break Free) while still having a reserve Magicka pool for CC, healing, etc where your max resource isn't as important. Magicka builds are at a disadvantage because their damage is also their utility resource and they can't Block/Dodge/Break Free as well.

Did you really just say that magicka builds are at a disadvantage?? While stamina characters are becoming more common in end game, it's still predominately magicka.

A stamina build that uses magicka for utility isn't a hybrid. A hybrid would use both magicka and stamina for damage.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Did you really just say that magicka builds are at a disadvantage?? While stamina characters are becoming more common in end game, it's still predominately magicka.

A stamina build that uses magicka for utility isn't a hybrid. A hybrid would use both magicka and stamina for damage.

Meh, the definition is entirely subjective but I find yours arbitrary.

You're using abilities that cost both Stamina and Magicka. Sounds like a Hybrid to me.

Edit: and to clarify, I think Stamina builds have an inherent advantage in PvP for the systemic reasons I've described. I don't doubt that Magicka is king in Trials and Dungeons.
    Edited by NordJitsu on June 19, 2017 5:54PM
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You're using abilities that cost both Stamina and Magicka. Sounds like a Hybrid to me.

Edit: and to clarify, I think Stamina builds have an inherent advantage in PvP for the systemic reasons I've described. I don't doubt that Magicka is king in Trials and Dungeons.

Ok, so on my stam sorc if I'm running dungeons I use crit surge which uses magicka, making me a hybrid in your eyes. But then if I'm doing trials I switch out crit surge and just use weapon power pots, making it no longer a "hybrid", even though it plays exactly the same.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ok, so on my stam sorc if I'm running dungeons I use crit surge which uses magicka, making me a hybrid in your eyes. But then if I'm doing trials I switch out crit surge and just use weapon power pots, making it no longer a "hybrid", even though it plays exactly the same.

I don't know why you're so hung up on that point. It's ultimately semantics and subjective. My main gripe is that there's no way to play a pure warrior in ESO, like in most fantasy RPGs and all Elder Scrolls games.

The substance of my post way the Magicka/Stamina trade off given what the resources are used for.

GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

o.O That's akin to saying all magicka builds are hybrids because they still use stamin to block/dodge/break free. I mean it's just semantics but that's a mighty weird definition of a hybrid lol.

To OP, only really viable hybrids are tank because for them utility>raw damage/heals. You could make a somewhat viable(even for group content) hybrid dps with Pelinal's and stuff but it'd cost you(tri glyphs, mandatory good potions etc) and still be subpar to pure mag/stam dps.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

o.O That's akin to saying all magicka builds are hybrids because they still use stamin to block/dodge/break free. I mean it's just semantics but that's a mighty weird definition of a hybrid lol.

To OP, only really viable hybrids are tank because for them utility>raw damage/heals. You could make a somewhat viable(even for group content) hybrid dps with Pelinal's and stuff but it'd cost you(tri glyphs, mandatory good potions etc) and still be subpar to pure mag/stam dps.

If you're coming from a traditional MMO perspective I get why you'd think that.

In other TES games, pure warriors that used no magic were a viable option. It's a role playing issue for me (not role playing the way people do in MMOs, I mean like world and story consistency.)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • wrapped
    wrapped
    ✭✭
    I made a stamsorc with pelinal,briarheart and skoria. He uses destro ulti. Destro ulti tooltip is over 9k buffed!
    40k stam. 4k wep and spell dmg. Steel tornado, caltrops and proxy. Its not op its just fun to bomb big groups and have mobility from streak rolldodges etc. Probably works only in cp campaign
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarato wrote: »
    We need some more hybrid builds! I'm personally looking for a night blade one.

There are a few people trying hybrid builds, and pretty much all of them incorporate Pelinal's set, which makes your spell damage and weapon damage equal to whichever is higher.

@JackDaniell has shared a number of these on youtube. Here is his hybrid nightblade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZljZJKxCk
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on June 23, 2017 5:55PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just done all the Morrowind solo PVE content using a Dunmer DK that's a fairly hybrid build. I wanted a character that followed the dark elf lore of combining blade, bow and destruction magic.

He's using 5 Pelinals to equalise his weapon and magicka damage stats. He's basically built as a stam character to maximise his weapon damage, but he has the flame DK skill morphs rather than the poison ones. Purple food to give him a bit of extra magicka.

He uses magicka-based flame attacks a lot - Burning Embers, Engulfing Flames, volatile armour, stone giant, igneous weapons - as well as bow and dual wield attacks. He has flame weapon enchants, and his other 5 piece is Red Mountain.

No point being a Dunmer if you don't run around setting everyone's hair on fire.

He was fine soloing all the Morrowind story quests, delves and public dungeons bosses, and was lots of fun to play, but it was a real struggle keeping him alive even when in a big zerg against the world bosses.

Now, I've just switched back to my conventionally built Breton Vamp Mag Blade to do the content again, and the difference in power is very noticeable. My Mag Blade can stand her ground and survive against the Morrowind world bosses when all other player characters present have wiped. Trash mobs just melt before her, whereas the dunmer DK hybrid had to fight his way through them. I also have a Dunmer Mag DK and an Argonian Mag Blade that I know from past experience are even stronger than this Breton Mag Blade.

TL;DR My Pelinals-based Dunmer DK hybrid is markedly weaker in combat than my conventional Magicka builds.
    PC EU
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried a Pelinals hybrid Nightblade in PVE during homestead. The initial thought was that it might possibly boost AOE dps, but it badly failed to accomplish that goal. The build quickly morphed into a combination Healer / Saptank which contributed some DPS, which turned out to be pretty awesome for speeding along through vet pledges with a good DPS crew.

This is just my observation, but with the combat system we have there's no way to break past the low single target PVE DPS from a hybrid Nightblade.
    Here's a lengthy explanation of why hybrid PVE DPS is bad:

As an example a Stamina Nightblade has very few DOT skills to use in a fight, and one might think that simply wearing medium Pelinals and adding a magic-based DOT here and there could boost DPS, but the combined damage will drop off quickly. The combat system factors are stacked against hybrid DPS in PVE.

Lost 5-piece item set buff - When changing from Stamblade to Hybrid-blade, the 5th piece of Pelinals replaces a big physical penetration or weapon damage buff, so it's an overall drop of 7% DPS from that alone. The same is true if using Pelinals when switching from magblade to hybrid.

Champion Points- You'd want to re-arrange some CPs to get a little more damage on the new stat, but overall effectiveness of CPs may drop around 5-10% in the process. The points put into the other CP trees would be pretty low, only buffing a fraction of what you'd get in a pure build.

Spell penetration is pretty abysmal in medium pelinals armor, magic skills would lose at least 12% damage due to spell mitigation in dungeons. Going with light pelinals armor drags down weapon damage by 12% and lowers weapon crit rating by quite a lot.

The crit rating for one of the stats would be really bad, like half what you'd get in a pure Stam or magic build. Or perhaps both crit stats would be mediocre. It's like losing another 20% of the damage.

Splitting magicka and stamina stat pools drags tooltip damage down another 15-25%.

TL-DR, There's a lot of parts in the combat system that drag down hybrid DPS.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have a look on YouTube for Kristofer ESO as he does a lot of hybrid work.

i think my warden will be a hybrid with shackle breaker, molag Kena shoulder and Necropotence, max damage glyphs everywhere, flame staff with infused and weapon damage to open with aoe stuff like deep fissure then a two handed hammer with sharpened and fire damage mostly because I like the visuals. Aoe two handed execute as well as that can be nasty even without much in the way of stats. A warden dps hits with all the force of a week old lettuce sandwich so he hasn't got as much to loose on the hybrid front, for a nightblade though, it might work but your giving up a lot of omph :/

I don't want to do another stamina class as they all end up the same with three or four weapon skill line abilities and then a bunch of class buffs and always that stupid bow aoe...
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you're coming from a traditional MMO perspective I get why you'd think that.

In other TES games, pure warriors that used no magic were a viable option. It's a role playing issue for me (not role playing the way people do in MMOs, I mean like world and story consistency.)

I've never played other MMOs, that just seems like the logical definition to me :D

Well TES combat is very different from what I remember (been a while).
    Edited by Magdalina on June 24, 2017 1:42PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in in pre 1.6
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can attest that in Morrowind, hybrids are extremely viable. I can focus on damage without worrying about sustain because I have 2 pools to draw from.

PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB