The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I'm hoping someone can help.....

Centurio1
Centurio1
Here's the background. I had difficulty downloading the patch early this week. I had to stop, start and repair a few times. Once I finally finished I tried to log into the game and each time it would hang up on the screen right before the character screen. After I'd put in my password I get the "logging in" mini box and then it goes to a game art screen -- and there is stays. Forever. Or at least until the game time-outs.

After half a day of trying I opened up a ticket on 6/13. A couple hours later I received a response. That began a series of e-mails and responses back and forth that led to trying all of the following:

1) Removed security software and firewalls from computer.
2) Updated Nvidia drivers.
3) Flushed DNS multiple times
4) Power cycled network multiple times
5) Tried in admin mode with a change in compatibility mode
6) Selective start-up
7) Deleted host.developer files with a number
8) Reinstalled game x2
9) Checked to see if I had the latest version of Direct X (it's 12)
10) Updated Visual C++
11) Sent in Pathping and Tracert
12) Set the game to high priority with all other non-essential programs closed.
13) Assorted screaming and mild violence to and at things on my desk.

Now three days later I still can't get in. Two days ago I quit getting replies at all from support. It appears they aren't going to use any resources to help the few people that are experiencing this (I'm not alone.)

Any ideas?
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally what it is doing after a patch when it takes awhile to go from login to character select is it is organizing files. What you need to do is while it is doing this is click your mouse button so it doesn't time out on you. It does this for me and I have to click my mouse so I don't get a time out.
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Not an idea but a suggestion if you will. Download Wireshark and run a packet capture on your network interface when attempting to login to ESO. It would be interesting to see which ip address is timing out and what sort of connectivity issues you are having.

*Edit*
    =====

Downloading and running Windows Sysinternals (Process Monitor, Process Explorer and Process Dump) may also give you some insight into what is causing the game to hang when attempting to load the character select screen.
    Edited by xRIVALENx on June 17, 2017 12:07PM
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Rhoric wrote: »
    Normally what it is doing after a patch when it takes awhile to go from login to character select is it is organizing files. What you need to do is while it is doing this is click your mouse button so it doesn't time out on you. It does this for me and I have to click my mouse so I don't get a time out.

I have done this a number of times for up to an hour. Doesn't work.
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Now on day four after Tech Support said they would escalate this and I still haven't heard a word from them. I do send an e-mail once a day asking if there are any thoughts on how to fix this issue, but all I get is radio silence.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you from and who is your ISP. Wondering if somewhere along the line that you are being blocked from connecting.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, background info please: First time installing the game? First time trying to play the game? Where are you in the world? What is your current Internet download and upload speed?

With what I see so far it seems you do not have a high enough Internet speed to support this game.
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Rhoric wrote: »
    Where are you from and who is your ISP. Wondering if somewhere along the line that you are being blocked from connecting.

San Francisco Bay area. Wave cable.
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Ok, background info please: First time installing the game? First time trying to play the game? Where are you in the world? What is your current Internet download and upload speed?

With what I see so far it seems you do not have a high enough Internet speed to support this game.

Games been installed on my PC since 2014. I've always had one game or another on my PC since UO in 1997. :)

Downlaod speed 56.9. Upload 5.9
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Day five and still no new contact or response from the "escalated" team who I was told would help. Do they exist?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centurio1 wrote: »
    Day five and still no new contact or response from the "escalated" team who I was told would help. Do they exist?

With Morrowind, it is likely you are caught in a backlog. I also question whether the people you are waiting on work weekends.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1

With Morrowind, it is likely you are caught in a backlog. I also question whether the people you are waiting on work weekends.

Five days is a hell of a backlog and an auto-response would at least indicate they haven't stopped responding forever.
  • THWIP71
    THWIP71
    ✭✭✭✭

All indications point to them not working weekdays either....
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    THWIP71 wrote: »

All indications point to them not working weekdays either....

Yep.
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Day six -- alone in the wilderness and still zero contact with Tech support. It's like they are ignoring me.....
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Bump, as I also have had this issue this particular patch.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Day seven -- I begin to worry about the health of the support staff. Are they alive? Has something happened to them? Plague? Radiation? Captain Tripps? There must be a reason they don't respond....
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having similar issue where I can't load character. It's possible there is a connection to interrupted patching.
  • Centurio1
    Centurio1
    Day 8 -- alone in the wilderness. I begin to wonder if I'll ever make contact again.
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the time out on patches on my slow computer as it takes to long to apply the patch and times out. I have to keep loggin in again after the timeouts and eventually I get in. hope this helps.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day 8 -- alone in the wilderness. I begin to wonder if I'll ever make contact again.

I can't speak for what the delay is, or whether they will eventually get back to you. Have you been replying to emails? I know they have not been sending you anything, but I hope you are still firing off an email almost daily with any additional information that you might have, asking if they have any other suggestions, etc. They will be no more interested in your problem than you are, and emails and other things you might try show that.

Can we all assume that your hardware is within the specs for the game? I ask this because it sounds like the same PC that you had in 2014. At minimum, this is a 3 year old computer. I can say, for myself, that the computer I was playing ESO on back in 2014 takes a lot longer to get into the game, than the one I am using today. The old computer is currently just a little under the recommended specs for the game, and is well above the minimum. My point is that the specs for this game should be taken seriously, and they have been creeping upwards for the last three years. While it will run on weaker hardware, there is a trade-off in performance.

Edit: Have you defragmented your hard drive? This is not as much of an issue as it used to be, but if you are close to being out of HD space, ESO is a big game and it writes lots of large files.
    Edited by Elsonso on June 22, 2017 9:42AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Stormy_Night
    Stormy_Night
    ✭✭
    What error message do you get when the game times out? According to support, it might take upwards of 10 minutes the first time the game is run for the first time or after a patch:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36187/kw/loading
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this problem after every patch since Morrowind. This always works for me, thought it might take a few tries :
    Reset the ProgramData folder
    If playing on PC, you can also try resetting the ProgramData folder:
    • Close both ESO and the ESO Launcher.
    • Open the game's installation directory.
    • Open the folder named Launcher.
    • Inside the "Launcher" folder, there is a folder named "ProgramData".
    • Rename the "ProgramData" folder to "ProgramDataBackup".
    • Open the launcher and download update (not necessary if already downloaded and you shouldn't need to repair).
    • Click Play.
    Please note that it will take a few minutes longer to load when the game is run for the first time after a patch.

Edited by Saoirse_Siobhan on June 22, 2017 11:27AM
    PC/EU DC