Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Sixth House Robes - Strengths and Weaknesses

Recremen
Recremen
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
First of all, really cool process to get one of these things put together. Maybe a little grindy, but not the worst thing in the world, and the atmosphere of The Forgotten Wastes is really cool. Anyway, that's not what this is about, this is a critique of the costumes overall aesthetic design, which I think is best described via the title, as there's lots to be happy with but also some flaws that should be considered for future designs.

83Lgckg.jpg

Here is the base coloration. Really great initial colors, especially that vibrant red, but as we'll see soon it's also the ONLY vibrant red you can get on it. It may be hard to see in these pictures due to lighting constraints, but the patterned fabric is simply divine. The art department totally went out of their way to make it extravagant. You'll also notice that the folds of the cloth actually conform to the musculature of your character. This is not usually a problem, but some garments, like the Desert Garden Gala Overdress, have weird folds in the cloth that make it look like you have flat arms, so it's nice to see this trend was halted.

There is also some interesting geometry at the waist, you'll notice, as the robe is properly pulled in by the belt. This is a nice touch and makes that part of the outfit feel more realistic. Unfortunately, there are some geometric weaknesses in other parts. Look at the neck and shoulders, for instance. It is completely skin-tight, and this greatly diminishes its upper-body appeal because it seems more like a set of seductively skintight silky sleepwear than a proper cultist robe. Compare with something like the "Brilliance" Brocade Robes for a comparison to proper geometry in the shoulder areas.

Id6HeiG.jpg

This shot really clinches it for me, and was the primary view I got when I was trying out this robe in PvP, which eventually led me to just unequip it in favor of something else. My character looks like a silky Ken Doll with how distinctly separated his arms and shoulders are with this outfit. Another issue I have is that instead of good robe sleeves, this outfit follows the same "lets put bracers on ALL THE THINGS" mantra that has dictated a lot of the designs for this game. What is wrong with big sleaves, like what the High-Collared Coin Ballgown has, or the Ancient Elf light armor robes? Sleeves like that would have been lovely here.

Now for dyes. This outfit follows the unfortunate trend of being very fickle with dyes. For instance, take the reddest red in the game, Ruby Throne Red.

7XRlu0P.jpg

Abysmal performance. Surely a nice color for someone, but we already have a lot of muted reds if we wanted to use one of that description. Let them use those if they want it. On the other hand, look at the blackest black (Legate Black), the whitest white (Julianos White), and the greenest green (Ophidian Jade). Not bad!

ZYgQgYT.jpg
twrArSc.jpg
3SkbxAt.jpg

Not perfect, mind you, but I imagine you have to give some to get some out of all that patterned cloth. Also, for comparison, here is Ruby Throne Red on a costume that dyes almost flawlessly.EKbKSk3.jpg

Now, another weakness is the hood. I almost always have my helmet toggled off, but I know not everyone does. It's just a copy of the Telvanni Mage Robe hood.

gGIOOLC.jpg
PlA7UP3.jpg

I think this was a bad choice. It looks completely out of place and dyes differently from the rest of the robe. Take a look!

jfJCZdL.jpg

Not great, especially since that yellow (Dominion Yellow) works so well for the boots and belt with this setup. I'd like to take a moment to mention that they did surprisingly well with the dye slots on this outfit. I know those are always going to be difficult since you only have three channels to work with, so I'd like to point out how well it worked out this time!

So yeah, great overall costume, but lacking in some key areas. On a final note, while the geometry is wonderful overall minus the aforementioned quirks, there is some rather extreme bending in the knee while sprinting and jumping. It's a bit offputting!

RfNNfzi.jpg

Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A fantastic lesson in how to properly document and discuss an issue. Nice job.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but the model is. Khajiit. There's the first flaw.

I'd suggest a lovely high elf.
  • Insandros
    Insandros
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Khajiit.... then a Khajiit in a robe... and MALE!.... that is the ugliest combination ever. :P « poke »
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Costume theorycrafting? Dye station as endgame? I like it.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I fount only 2 problems with this best costume:
    1. Its hood bugged and erase adorments. It especially weird when your char is male with beard.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347415/sixth-house-robe-bug#latest
    2. Second is probably bug too but it hard for me to report it coz dont gave khajiit oe possibly argonian. It mentioned problem that hood on khajiits and maybe argonians is showing wrong model.
    @Recremen as mentioned it is shows Telvanni wizard costume hood. On other humanoid races it shows right model of hood that is have same textures like body part. Would be nice if someone teport it since i away from computer for long.
    You can google or robe to see how hood should actually look like.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    1. Its hood bugged and erase adorments. It especially weird when your char is male with beard.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347415/sixth-house-robe-bug#latest
    2. Second is probably bug too but it hard for me to report it coz dont gave khajiit oe possibly argonian. It mentioned problem that hood on khajiits and maybe argonians is showing wrong model.
    @Recremen as mentioned it is shows Telvanni wizard costume hood. On other humanoid races it shows right model of hood that is have same textures like body part. Would be nice if someone teport it since i away from computer for long.

Oooooooooooooh shoot, you're right!! Here is the costume on my friend Saxhleel.

QFksL2s.jpg

And here on my friend Nord.

HI4e48U.jpg

Huge difference, and the flattening of beards and such is super noticeable.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it.

34539619573_bc275730ec_c.jpg
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh, interesting. Hadn't tried it out yet on my Khajiit.

My problem with the robe is that huge black bar it shows on your neckline. You have it with hood, but less noticeable. But on all the pictures in this thread of chars without a hood, you can clearly see it. it starts from the sides, and covers the entire back of the neck.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The base robe is absolutely stunning, but OP is right. Boy, does it do a poor job of taking some colors. It's almost as bad as Celestial Robes in that department.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh, interesting. Hadn't tried it out yet on my Khajiit.

My problem with the robe is that huge black bar it shows on your neckline. You have it with hood, but less noticeable. But on all the pictures in this thread of chars without a hood, you can clearly see it. it starts from the sides, and covers the entire back of the neck.

That part would have looked so cool as like, a proper collar instead of a skintight black tattoo.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes you look like henry the 8th
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

HELL NO. #deathtothealtmer
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »

HELL NO. #deathtothealtmer

Costumes can't fit every aesthetic all at once, but they should be made such that they can fit as many aesthetics as possible simultaneously. The skin-tight shoulder and neck area looks pretty bad on my muscley Khajiit, but looks fine on @SydneyGrey 's Dunmer because she has no musculature to speak of. Yet wouldn't both look fine if there was an additional layer of geometry in that area to make the outfit look not-skin-tight? Certainly so!! It would change nothing about the Dunmer but would add the necessary upper-body volume to properly fill out the look for a muscular character.

Not that this has anything to do specifically with your comment, I just wanted you to feel included.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think on some female characters it looks a bit odd around the chest, has a tucked up effect underneath the bosom that seems to encompass parts of the costume that shouldn't do that. Now I do complain about other costumes/styles that don't contour to bosoms well (Order of the Hour Shirt, I am looking at you, it just looks like a version of the male garment that is expanded around the upper torso with no particular care taken to make sure it fits the female form), this one doesn't either but it kind of goes in the opposite direction IMO.

I think overall it is a good costume, but some tweaking so it hangs correctly would be appreciated :)
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Costume theorycrafting? Dye station as endgame? I like it.

Fashion has always been the endgame! Why do people run trials? Not for the gear, but the OP new dyes, of course!
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The neckline still has not been fixed on this costume. It's very jarring and after the amount of grinding I put in to get it together I really, really want this robe to work properly. Please address the black area around the neck. It's not textured as cloth, and it does not dye with the rest of the robe, so it appears to be a mapping mistake. I took a closeup of it on the character I want most to be wearing it.

6th%20House%20Robe%20Neck.png
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    The weird missing-texture black neck is what keeps me from wearing it. I wish it dyed better, too. Meanwhile, I'll wear something else. Shame, as I like how it looks.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could we please get some dev input on whether this is on the repair list, since something with this robe was already fixed and the collar was left like this?
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ve been saving morrowind til i am on holidays from work- how difficult is the sixth house robes to grind? how much is it to just buy it outright- and in pieces from guild stores?
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it took several hours on three separate nights. I still haven't bought my first big house so I can't spend my money and don't know how much it was to buy from other players. I got very lucky and was able to trade a couple of the pieces with other people grinding for the same thing.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Neck piece is always black. That's the one issue I have.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Erris wrote: »
    The weird missing-texture black neck is what keeps me from wearing it. I wish it dyed better, too. Meanwhile, I'll wear something else. Shame, as I like how it looks.

THIS! Farmed my * off and I am disappointed with the neck.
    394293e34d5fba2c49a2a51f14df79a0.png
    Edited by Mureel on August 23, 2017 5:26AM
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox
    ✭✭✭✭

I would add to this that, if you wear the blindfold that covers your eyes (which for me is a very cool adornment) and toggle the hood ON, it will make the blindfold dissapear, which sucks.
    Not sure if that happens with every other hooded costumes, but i would love to have the hood ON and being able to wear the blindfold at the same time.

Amazing and detailed analysis there!

Cheers.
    Comrade, a word...