Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Multiple Characters

Idylliqe
Idylliqe
✭✭✭
I currently just play my main character but have thought about creating some other ones (currently have a NB, maybe creating a healer & sorcerer). When people do this, do they normally go through the whole quest line again to level them up, or is there some kind of tried and true way to level up new characters without all of the questing? Or is it preference?
NA PS4
Stamina Nightblade
"Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play as you want ...

I have 4 mains and none of them was "power leveled". But it's really up to you and what you want to do.

Nobody is going to stop you from running Vivec's Antlers for 2 weeks straight.
    type.gif
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a matter of personal choice. I see a lot of players that speed level by getting carried through Skyreach. I prefer to do, at the very least, the main quests for the skill points.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    @SirAndy haha I figured that it might be preference but have seen so many with many different characters so wasn't sure. I enjoyed questing on my NB but it took a VERY long time as I make sure that nothing is black on the map.

Also, I have no experience power leveling so there's that too...
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preference. Absolutely preference. I prefer to take my characters through the quests again, roleplaying their personalities and decisions. Some people find that boring, so they find a place to grind and do that.

I don't really see much point in rushing to level cap. Especially as of One Tamriel, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and with CP to back up your new characters, whatever you do is likely to be a breeze. So spend your time doing what you think is most fun. For me, that's getting immersed into each character's personal experience, but I know that's not for everyone.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Preference. Absolutely preference. I prefer to take my characters through the quests again, roleplaying their personalities and decisions. Some people find that boring, so they find a place to grind and do that.

I don't really see much point in rushing to level cap. Especially as of One Tamriel, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and with CP to back up your new characters, whatever you do is likely to be a breeze. So spend your time doing what you think is most fun. For me, that's getting immersed into each character's personal experience, but I know that's not for everyone.

I actually really enjoy questing so I think that I will most likely go that route. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be the crazy player who wasted all of their time LOL. Reading that last sentence, I know it sounds silly since it IS a game for people's enjoyment........but I didn't want to miss something since the only part of the game that I REALLY know is the questing. I'm just getting back into it after a hiatus. This hiatus was caused because I finished all of the DLC quests and main quests and didn't know what to do with my life.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I despise grinding so i go through it all again tho cherry pick. I cleared everything with my main, every quest.

On Alts i do alliance questline, main questline, dolmens, public dungeons, grab skyshards and more books as i go. Even on my 4th toon I'm finding new things and leveling is so easy now unless you are a flavour of the month meta fan boi there's no need to level to L50 in 2 hrs.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I despise grinding so i go through it all again tho cherry pick. I cleared everything with my main, every quest.

On Alts i do alliance questline, main questline, dolmens, public dungeons, grab skyshards and more books as i go. Even on my 4th toon I'm finding new things and leveling is so easy now unless you are a flavour of the month meta fan boi there's no need to level to L50 in 2 hrs.

Honestly I found that I had more direction when I had quests to do... As I said above, I struggled after finishing all quests and was lost so I put the game down. I know that was the wrong thing to do and there's more to the game but my lack of knowledge held me back until Morrowind launched.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Power leveling makes me tired. Maybe cause I'm old or maybe because it's boring, probably a bit of both. I also did almost every base game quest on my first character and don't care to quest much anymore. When I level a character I like to just go zone by zone and clear all the dolmens, delves and world bosses while grabbing all the skyshards. If you need a group for world bosses you could just skip them or just pop in quick to see if people are there, they don't give a tremendous amount of XP. It's not nearly as fast as power leveling but when I get to level 50 I have a sufficient amount of skill points. I also like to do the random normal daily dungeon, it gives very good XP and helps to level your undaunted, which is nice for passives in that skill line.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Power leveling makes me tired. Maybe cause I'm old or maybe because it's boring, probably a bit of both. I also did almost every base game quest on my first character and don't care to quest much anymore. When I level a character I like to just go zone by zone and clear all the dolmens, delves and world bosses while grabbing all the skyshards. If you need a group for world bosses you could just skip them or just pop in quick to see if people are there, they don't give a tremendous amount of XP. It's not nearly as fast as power leveling but when I get to level 50 I have a sufficient amount of skill points. I also like to do the random normal daily dungeon, it gives very good XP and helps to level your undaunted, which is nice for passives in that skill line.

Thank you! This is very good advice if I do get tired of doing the same quests.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Idylliqe

If you are thinking about making alts, I would strongly consider making them now and starting to feed their horse! It's much less painful to level alts if they already have speedy horses.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    @DeadlyRecluse

I actually created them yesterday, but did not think of this! Thank you! :)
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • StormWylf
    StormWylf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Though I strongly support every player's right to play as they like, I really don't understand the desire to power level everything, unless you are here for the PvP and don't care for the questing and story lines.

There are three that you can work through, Aldmeri Dominion, Ebonheart Pact, and Daggerfall Covenant each with a unique story line, run your Alts through each story line that should keep it somewhat fresh.
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    StormWylf wrote: »
    Though I strongly support every player's right to play as they like, I really don't understand the desire to power level everything, unless you are here for the PvP and don't care for the questing and story lines.

There are three that you can work through, Aldmeri Dominion, Ebonheart Pact, and Daggerfall Covenant each with a unique story line, run your Alts through each story line that should keep it somewhat fresh.

Yeah I've already beat all three storylines and all the DLC quests (besides Morrowind) with my main. I like the story too.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • rockythedog1
    Once I have finished the ebonheart storyline I'll start an alt in one of the different campaigns, just to see the different storylines play out. I've never powerlevelled and to be honest it sounds a bit boring, how do you get to know what skills you like and play style for that character if you haven't taken the time to play through the levels
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    I think it's a matter of personal choice. I see a lot of players that speed level by getting carried through Skyreach. I prefer to do, at the very least, the main quests for the skill points.
    You can do it multiple ways. My sorc main I did all the quest with back after launch.
    My templar who was level 20 then I cam back I grinded to 50 but she is now questing unless group stuff.
    My warden i'm doing the main quests + skyshards and lore books, will probably continue that until she is 50 and more.

Its up to you.
    However its very smart to start the new characters early just for horse training.
    They can be bank alts while feeding horses.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    How you level also depends on what you want to do with your character. If you are leveling an alt because your raid group needs a specific role, then you would probably want to level as fast as you can. However, you will still need skill points, so you would still need to do main story quests, main area quests, skyshard hunt, etc. You could then grind undead/daedra to level fighters guild skills (if needed) and to gain XP, and hunt for books to level mage's guild (if needed). Then you could run dungeons for XP and undaunted once you get to 49.

If you are mainly a solo player/4 man dungeon runner, then it doesn't really matter if you level at a slower pace. You will be scaled up to CP 160 for all of that, and will not need to be max level in order to do those things. So, no rush. :)
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several ways to level your character; I have grinded my share of characters to 50 -- either by doing overland grind spots or dolmens. I have also have just leveled through questing.

Grinding is by far faster than questing. However, the flip side is that grinding can be boring whereas quests can be fun listening to the storied and that feeling of accomplishment.

The choice is yours and how you like to play.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to bear in mind is you don't have to pick just 1 approach and use it for all characters.

On most of my characters I level by questing - doing all the quests in each zone (and everything else to complete it) before moving on. And I'm doing the zones in order too - starting with their Alliance and the main quest, then the other 2 Alliances, then the DLC, then Morrowind.

But on my crafter I did the 3 starter islands and a bit of Auridon to gain some levels and now I'm only doing quests that give skill points and collecting sky shards.

I also have an evil character who is mainly focusing on the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs and Justice achievements, but also does any quest where there's an option I thought was terrible and my other characters would never take it, but I want to see what effect it has.

I'm not power-levelling any of them because I have no need to do that, but I know some people will do that with one or two characters and level others by questing. For example power-level their PvP character and take their time with the PvE one and almost never level their RP character.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idylliqe wrote: »
    Yeah I've already beat all three storylines and all the DLC quests (besides Morrowind) with my main. I like the story too.

For me, it's not about "beating" them, and for that matter I've been playing since a month or two after PC release and I still have some characters over a year old who are still in their "teen" levels. I rotate around and play who, and do what interests me. By the time I do a questline "again" I've forgotten enough detail that it still feels "fresh" and each character has their own way of looking at the world.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do all the questing again for the sake of getting skill points, and also because doing the main quest is the only way to level up the soul magic skill line.
  • murdomac101
    murdomac101
    ✭✭✭
    I grinded two characters recently. It was quick. But now I need to spend time levelling other skill lines and collecting skyshards for skill points. This has all been really boring so maybe questing would've been better