Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Newbie question regarding build types

tophatsaur
tophatsaur
✭✭
Hello. Eventually I'll be able to play this game, and the one thing that excited me was how customisable the builds are, your class skills only being one part of your character.

However, I am confused by a few aspects. If you are playing a magicka build, does that mean your main weapon MUST be destruction staff? I understand you could use any other weapon, but because their skills cost stamina, would there be any reason to? It strikes me as odd that therefore Bretons, altmer, dunmer and argonians would all be restricted to one weapon type. And how do magicka tank builds work, since shields are stamina?
Thank you for any help.
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can frost staff tank now, so that's a thing I guess. It is better (imo) to go with your weapon type, but not mandatory. A lot of magsorc builds run duel wield on overload bar for 2 pc set bonus. Its up to you...
    Edited by jlboozer on June 13, 2017 2:28PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, yeah. Some good Magicka-based melee weapons have been on the community wish-list since launch.

You can equip stamina weapons on a magicka build--I have two Magicka builds back-bar Sword-and-Shield for tanking--but the biggest issue is not the skills, but rather the sustain. See, heavy weapon attacks restore either stamina (for melee weapons and bows) or magicka (for staves). If most of your skills are magicka-based, having no way to restore magicka in a fight can be deadly... which is why at least one of your two weapon bars should be staves, for sustain.

(A note, since you're new: "back-bar" refers to a second weapon slot that opens at level 15. At that point, you can have up to two weapon specs equipped, and swap between them and their skill bars as needed).

The other issue is that your stamina weapons will do awful damage, since melee/bow weapon damage is based on your max stamina pool, so don't expect to be a magicka DPS build with a melee weapon. Like I said, I have two magicka builds who back-bar Sword-and-Shield, mostly for the higher defense and the melee taunt on the Sword-and-Shield skill line. It's actually pretty handy to be a magicka build in tanking, because it means you can use the stamina bar for tanky things (blocking, interrupting, and taunting) and pull freely from your magicka for heals and DPS, all simultaneously.

Generally, though, at least one of your two weapons should be a staff, so you can regenerate magicka in a fight and do some magicka-based damage if you need to.

Also... don't focus so much on races unless you're super into high efficiency builds. Yeah, those races are going to be better at magicka, but races are just four passives, so it doesn't make that much of a difference what race you pick for stamina vs magicka builds.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even though it seems like there is a variety of builds, the truth is that in PvP and group PvE you have about 4 options if u want to be competative.

Magika users Use staffs and Dualswords for more agro stats.
    Tanky magika users use shield and staffs and heavy armor.
    All the builds use Shuffle (medium armor active skill which gives 15-20% Evasion of any damage/effect for 20-30s)

Stamina users go 2handed in PvP and dualwield mostly in PvE

All builds in pvp are 95% the same mechanic.
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on June 13, 2017 2:33PM
  • tophatsaur
    tophatsaur
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. It's a shame that being a spell sword would never be viable like it is in Skyrim, Oblivion or Morrowind. I suppose complete freedom of choice just doesn't work as well in an MMO like it does in a single player game, so there must be some limitations.

I guess I will just stick to stamina builds for now since they seem to have more choice!
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not new but was wondering about a redguard magsorc is it worth a try?
  • tophatsaur
    tophatsaur
    ✭✭
    Oh, that reminds me of another question. How do stamina sorcerers work? I can only find a single ability that can be morphed into costing stamina, unlike dragonknight which gets two.
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moonio wrote: »
    I'm not new but was wondering about a redguard magsorc is it worth a try?

Go High Elf...unless you don't care about being the best magsorc.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tophatsaur wrote: »
    Hello. It strikes me as odd that therefore Bretons, altmer, dunmer and argonians would all be restricted to one weapon type.

This only applies if you want to be on the top of leaderboards for PVP or PVE, or make it through to very selective elite groups. Most content in the game won't require that level of min-maxing... I have several mage Khajiit (at least one of each class) and they do just fine for most content up to normal trials and veteran dungeons. My one hard limit is my own clumsyness.
    PC-EU
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I too wish you can be a proper spellsword.

Have a dw mage that I love playing. But then again I am never going to do endgame stuff with her so don't care.....
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, that reminds me of another question. How do stamina sorcerers work? I can only find a single ability that can be morphed into costing stamina, unlike dragonknight which gets two.

My stamsorc uses mostly weapon skills for damage, and class skills for self buffs and utility. That one stamina morph is priceless.

I think only nightblades and wardens get 3 stamina morphs, but I may be wrong.
    PC-EU
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most stamina versions of classes depend mostly on Weapon abilities as the majority of class abilities are magicka based. You will tend to notice most stamina builds are mostly the same except for 2-3 abilities that differ between classes.

Also, just because a spell costs magicka doesn't mean you can't use it on a stamina toon. You have magicka as well, just not a lot of it and it won't regen as fast.
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind