Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Magicka Nightblade advice.

BuyMe500Pugs_Please
I created a new nightblade but this time I am trying the magic side, any advice on skills, stones. I assume it's gear is 5, 1,1 with light armor being the main. She's level 15 high elf, couldn't choose Breton because well they look stupid but that's a different issue. Will be using destro, resto staff now I unlocked weapon swap. One other thing Is that on my Khajiit NB I have the critical mundus stone but is this just for weapons based or can it work for spell crit too?

Best Answers

• XpoZeD_GoD
    XpoZeD_GoD
    ✭✭
    Depends on your intentions for the character. If you intend to PvP; You will be using Strife as your main spammable, both morphs are great with one helping for solo play and the other helping for small group play. Leeching Strikes is an important tool now for stamina sustain paired with Elemental Drain (destro staff) for magicka sustain. Merciless Resolve is your big damage skill and is something you will learn to use efficiently over time. You have a very wide range of control abilities available to you in Agony, Cripple and Fear. I would go as far as to say that every skill in the Nightblade trees is useful to a mNB.

I'd recommend using the critical chance mundus stone to ensure your burst is that bit more dangerous especially if you intend to do no champion point content.

Since you are new to the magicka side of Nightblade I would suggest you get used to playing with the lower damage, it's not in the best place right now but if you know what you are doing with it then it can be insanely tricky to fight against. Just remember a defending magblade is a dead magblade, keep up the pressure even if you are near death.

Good luck finding what works for you.
    Xbox EU
    ~650 CP
    Breton Nightblade (AD)
    Argonian DK (AD) [Tank]
    Altmer Sorcerer (AD)
    Bosmer Nightblade (AD)
    Imperial Templar (AD)
    Dunmer DK (AD)
    Argonian Templar (AD) [Healer]
    Redguard Sorcerer (AD)
    Breton Templar (EP)
    Redguard DK (DC)
    Imperial Sorcerer (EP)
    Khajiit Nightblade (DC)
    Answer ✓
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
    Answer ✓
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thief stone and Shadow stone work for magica and weapon crit/damage. Thief is likely your best bet.

5/1/1 can be good to make sure you level up all skill lines in case you want to try a different play style or eventually use the undaunted passives. It really doesn't make a huge difference anyways until you have the skill points to get all the passives. So using all 3 armor types to level is a no-brainer to do. Once you get to max level, 5-7 light will be best for dps, although I usually have a set of heavy because I just find it is better when I want to solo or even tank a dungeon.

Dark Elf would also be a quality race choice as you could use a fire staff and use elemental blockade which has a nice cast time relationship with twisting path for two good ground AOE drops.

Key Skills:

your main single target spammable is either Strife (Swallow Soul) from the Siphoning tree, or Force Shock/Force Pulse from Destruction staff. Force Pulse will do more damage, Swallow Soul will heal you and cost less magicka. If you're going OOM a lot and/or having trouble staying alive, use SS, otherwise use FP.

Elemental Blockade w/fire staff + Twisting path - main AOE damage

Siphoning Attacks is obvious for resources.

Assassin's blade/impale is great for execute, and works well to do insane damage when paired up with the grim focus skill and the quickly recharging death stroke/soul harvest ultimate from that tree as well.

Annulment/harness magicka from the light armor tree is gonna be something you'll want to cast a lot to keep yourself alive.

I'd say those, In my opinion, are the "must have" skills. Unless you want to heal, I'd see how well Swallow Soul and Harness Magicka keep you alive before worrying about resto staff but it never hurts to have that skill line levelled just in case.
    Answer ✓
  • BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    Krayl wrote: »
    Thief stone and Shadow stone work for magica and weapon crit/damage. Thief is likely your best bet.

5/1/1 can be good to make sure you level up all skill lines in case you want to try a different play style or eventually use the undaunted passives. It really doesn't make a huge difference anyways until you have the skill points to get all the passives. So using all 3 armor types to level is a no-brainer to do. Once you get to max level, 5-7 light will be best for dps, although I usually have a set of heavy because I just find it is better when I want to solo or even tank a dungeon.

Dark Elf would also be a quality race choice as you could use a fire staff and use elemental blockade which has a nice cast time relationship with twisting path for two good ground AOE drops.

Key Skills:

your main single target spammable is either Strife (Swallow Soul) from the Siphoning tree, or Force Shock/Force Pulse from Destruction staff. Force Pulse will do more damage, Swallow Soul will heal you and cost less magicka. If you're going OOM a lot and/or having trouble staying alive, use SS, otherwise use FP.

Elemental Blockade w/fire staff + Twisting path - main AOE damage

Siphoning Attacks is obvious for resources.

Assassin's blade/impale is great for execute, and works well to do insane damage when paired up with the grim focus skill and the quickly recharging death stroke/soul harvest ultimate from that tree as well.

Annulment/harness magicka from the light armor tree is gonna be something you'll want to cast a lot to keep yourself alive.

I'd say those, In my opinion, are the "must have" skills. Unless you want to heal, I'd see how well Swallow Soul and Harness Magicka keep you alive before worrying about resto staff but it never hurts to have that skill line levelled just in case.

What would you recommend for my weapon on the other bar?