Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New player looking for advice.

Flame
Flame
✭✭
EDIT: Apparently this is also a console game? It has been pointed out to me that I should clarify that I'm playing on PC, NA server.

New* player here. A friend hooked me up with the game, including the Morrowind expansion! I downloaded it last night, and am looking forward to starting tonight.

What class/skills advice can you give me? I really know nothing about the Elder Scrolls universe, aside from playing a little bit of Skyrim, and I'd like a little advice on what to roll tonight.

My favorites from other MMOs have been:

Combat: Guild Wars 2 Engineer by far. Never have I had so much fun fighting in an MMO. I would like to be a ranged class, unless there's something you feel I should know to the contrary. I do not enjoy having a fighting companion if it can be helped.

Race: WoW Gnome - I don't even know why; they are just awesome. Might have something to do with me being 6'7" in real life - I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.

Professions: WoW Engineering, Lotro Farming, and WildStar Architecture

PvP: Not really into PvP, but I really enjoyed Huttball in SW:TOR. Like, really loved it. I almost kept playing it just for Huttball.

Zones: I very much dislike cold/snow zones. It actually makes me feel cold while playing. I refused to level any Dwarves or Gnomes in Dun Morogh, it's that bad. I prefer temperate or hot zones, and complex topography can frustrate me easily.

I will also probably be looking for a guild. It depends on if my former guild has an active ESO chapter. A good guild can make or break an MMO for me, so if you would like to recommend yours, I would love to hear about it. A key thing to mention here is that I do tend to Google my questions first before pestering guild chat with them. Having led my own large guild in WoW, I remember how annoying that can be!

I thank you in advance for any advice you can give. See you in Tamriel!

Flame

*Played a bit for free a long time ago, and I don't really remember anything about it.
Edited by Flame on June 8, 2017 7:27PM
  • Redgrimm666
    Redgrimm666
    ✭✭
    Take your time! Use a character to dedicate to crafting only, focus on certain abilities and skills and trick them out, not a lot of mediocre abilities. Have fun!!'
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO

As for classes, we currently have 5 with 3 of them being brand new to the franchise and the other 2 being self-explanatory:

- Dragonknight: A warrior/mage who emulates the fighting style of the dragons, focusing on Draconic abilities and fire damage. Best tank in the game atm
    - Nightblade: Stealth, Shadow, Blade and Magic. The assassin class of this game
    - Sorcerer: And this would be the mage. In this game they're focused on Lightning magic and summoning creatures from Oblivion
    - Templar: The finest healers, devoted to the Divines. They have great healing magic and they can summon spears and shards of pure light to help them in combat
    - Warden: The best support class in this game. They defend themselves with Ice magic and can use the powers of nature to heal and to summon animals to help them

Quick overview of the current classes we have, so take your pick. :)
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Pathemavan
    Pathemavan
    ✭✭✭
    Flame wrote: »
    EDIT: Apparently this is also a console game? It has been pointed out to me that I should clarify that I'm playing on PC, NA server.

New* player here. A friend hooked me up with the game, including the Morrowind expansion! I downloaded it last night, and am looking forward to starting tonight.

What class/skills advice can you give me? I really know nothing about the Elder Scrolls universe, aside from playing a little bit of Skyrim, and I'd like a little advice on what to roll tonight.

Combat: Guild Wars 2 Engineer by far. Never have I had so much fun fighting in an MMO. I would like to be a ranged class, unless there's something you feel I should know to the contrary. I do not enjoy having a fighting companion if it can be helped.

Race: WoW Gnome - I don't even know why; they are just awesome. Might have something to do with me being 6'7" in real life - I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.

PvP: Not really into PvP, but I really enjoyed Huttball in SW:TOR. Like, really loved it. I almost kept playing it just for Huttball.

Zones: I very much dislike cold/snow zones. It actually makes me feel cold while playing. I refused to level any Dwarves or Gnomes in Dun Morogh, it's that bad. I prefer temperate or hot zones, and complex topography can frustrate me easily.

I will also probably be looking for a guild. It depends on if my former guild has an active ESO chapter. A good guild can make or break an MMO for me, so if you would like to recommend yours, I would love to hear about it. A key thing to mention here is that I do tend to Google my questions first before pestering guild chat with them. Having led my own large guild in WoW, I remember how annoying that can be!

Flame

*Played a bit for free a long time ago, and I don't really remember anything about it.

For combat, I'd say you can be good with just about any - though Sorc or Warden would be the closest fit.

Race, I'd say wood elf - they're small and feisty, so a perfect fit to your gnomish sensibilities

Professions, you don't have to choose - gotta catch them all! In fact, unlike WoW, consolidation of professions on your main is a good idea. Yes it'll take a lot of skill points, but you avoid having your motifs/patterns/trait research split across multiple characters

PvP... ummm.... next question

Zones are easy. If you roll an AD wood elf, your initial areas will have a very Zangarmarsh-y feel. Their final zone is a bit more Barrens-ish. However, if you choose, you can complete the main story lines for all alliances and experience all of the available zones.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome (back)!

The first thing to know is that classes are a lot more fluid than most MMOs, so any class can be a "ranged" class. All you need is a bow or staff. It sounds like Destruction Staff would be right up your alley as a primary weapon--you'll learn skills applicable to that skill line as you use it, a lot like Skyrim.

All classes are are three skill-lines per class. Given that there are dozens of skill lines in the game, it's really only a fraction of your playstyle.

A quick rundown of what each class does:
    • Dragon Knight: has some good stone- and fire-based abilities, usually close-range, and lots of defensive skills.
    • Sorcerer: Summons and electricity skills. Has a lot of good synergy with Destro Staff, but note that if by "fighting companion" you mean "pet" then you'll want to leave their summoning skill line alone.
    • Nightblade: Stealth and backstab abilities good for a sneaky playstyle, but not recommended for newbies... they can be hard to master.
    • Templar: Light-based and support abilities. My bow-user uses the spear line on this one to finish off any enemies that get close to her.
    • Warden: Ice and nature-based magic, particularly of the healing variety. Their most well-known ability is a bear summon, but you don't need to use that if you don't want to.

Note that if you're planning to solo content, it is very rare that you'll be able to deal with enemies at range... most will close the distance and engage you in melee. This means you'll probably want something to mitigate that, whether it's some close-range abilities or a melee weapon as your secondary. The other option is to use a summoning class and let your pets tank while you pew-pew at range.

As for race... Well, if you don't like the cold, then the Aldmeri Dominion is probably going to be the place for you. The entire zone is very bright and tropical! This gives you a racial choice of Altmer (High Elves), Bosmer (Wood Elves), and Khajiit (Cat people).. assuming you don't have the One Race, One Tamriel upgrade, which lets you play any alliance. Races are really only 4 passive skills, so unless you're really into min-maxing, go ahead and pick your race for looks alone. If you like the shorties, Bosmer are the shortest in the game, though they're more woodsy than tech-savvy. Otherwise, the magically gifted one of that trio are the Altmer, and the tricksy ones are the Khajiit.

My advice is just to make a character and dive in. Take your time. Explore! Learn the game at a pace that works for you. You'll probably make a couple mistakes, but ability and skill resets are pretty cheap compared to other games, so don't worry about messing up!

As for guilds: try the Guild Recruitment forum here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-pc-mac-na, or just hop in the game and start asking about whether there are any newbie friendly guilds recruiting. You can have up to five guilds, so there's plenty of room to try a couple out and see what works for you!

Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Flame

If you are looking into bows don't use it as your primary as they are not very good primary weapons. I recommend at range being a magika sorceror which are also fotm. Race matters more In this mmo than others so choose either a altmer breton or dunmer sorceror. Tho if you don't care about endgame then play as you want
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Orc
    As stamsorc
    Eat pork
    Without fork
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Welcome to ESO

As for classes, we currently have 5 with 3 of them being brand new to the franchise and the other 2 being self-explanatory:

- Dragonknight: A warrior/mage who emulates the fighting style of the dragons, focusing on Draconic abilities and fire damage. Best tank in the game atm
    - Nightblade: Stealth, Shadow, Blade and Magic. The assassin class of this game
    - Sorcerer: And this would be the mage. In this game they're focused on Lightning magic and summoning creatures from Oblivion
    - Templar: The finest healers, devoted to the Divines. They have great healing magic and they can summon spears and shards of pure light to help them in combat
    - Warden: The best support class in this game. They defend themselves with Ice magic and can use the powers of nature to heal and to summon animals to help them

Quick overview of the current classes we have, so take your pick. :)

This sounds so much better than reality...
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Flame

Let me give you the best advice I can give you.

If your used to a combat system like guild wars 2, with alot of nuance with a reletively simple system that was highly customizeable, you will not find it here. This game will shoehorn you into a way of play by the only criteria of, this is what works, this is what's proven to work, and the players will demand you run it even if you find something else workable.

Trust me, I can allready tell you that if engineer is what you want, and a ranged class at that, your gonna hate this game. Move on, find a better MMO, this one isn't worth your time at the moment.
  • Flame
    Flame
    ✭✭
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Play Orc
    As stamsorc
    Eat pork
    Without fork

I like this guy.

Thanks for all the responses. Currently trying out DragonKnight with a Destruction staff.
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn't love Huttball man who doesn't... the only reason that kept me playing SWTOR. That was the sole reason I played SWTOR for a time... such a great game.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can pick your class by looks, just know you will be missing 10% of your max stats and 10% of regen. If you played any other mmo's you can understand how huge that that is for endgame.

Stam= Redgaurd is best. Bosmer, Orc and khajiit all ok

Magic= High elf (pve) or Breton (pvp). Agonian if you want to mainly heal

I would recomend any of the magic classes as they all have good range when using destro staff. Then you backbar a resto staff to stay alive. Stam class that only use bow are very weak will have a hard time clearing content.

Cheers!
    Edited by KingYogi415 on June 9, 2017 6:11AM
  • StormWylf
    StormWylf
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the responses. Currently trying out DragonKnight with a Destruction staff.
    Curious. What race did you choose?

Have fun with the game.

• Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, you want to be short in ESO. Pick woodelf and set height slider to zero.
    If you chose so, you will be in south, since you like hot areas.
    In ESO you are not bound to any craft in particular, you can max them all.
    About class you should pick if you go with woodelf, stamina nightblade or warden seems most logical. And if you decide to go to PvP, woodelf is pretty good stamina race.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggested race bosmer... but know they are the best looking. Suggest class magicka nightblade. Suggested gameplay crafter, and farmer. Suggest Guilds Pvp for your archer, Crafting guild to start you off right, Trader Guild for your farming exploits,
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if u pvp dont stress cp u dont need to grind forever to get to 630 . Noncp campaign are doing great right now so all you would need to do is level to 50 .

If you plan on doing a lot of pve which im guessing u do you need to grind them cp. i would say dont do vet dungeons until atleast 250cp.

Not because you cant complete it or anything but because so many people will kick low cp if its a tougher dungeon.

I would invest in scrolls or grand scrolls and hit up rkindaleft and farm mobs to 300cp you can do thay in 2-3 days easy.

Then you you're free to do whatever o:)

This is just my tip always play the game how u want
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the opposite. I love the snowy zones. One of the expansions is called Orsinium, and the whole area is snowy to varying degrees and I love it. LOL. (Awesome DLC, by the way. I quite recommend it.)

I've now played every class in the game, and my personal favorite is dragon knight, but everybody's favorite is different.

• Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun with your mag DK, they are my very favorite. I would suggest AD as your faction, but I am biased. DC is a close second. EP has some snowy zones, but you can do the bare minimum in questing to get your skill points etc and run right out of there. You can do all the crafting on one character easy and not run out of skill points.

If you decide mag DK is not your thing, you can switch over to stamina with gold. So not a big deal there. If you decide you want to change your race, you can do so in the crown store. But if you want to change classes, you have to make a new character. Which really isn't a big deal either really.

And omg, get a mount and train it every single day. Start with speed. To fully train a mount in speed, stamina, and carrying capacity takes 180 days. If you want to craft your own gear eventually, start researching traits yesterday and make sure you keep up with it every time you login. Researching traits takes roughly forever.

If you need gear etc, let me know. I have a master crafter and can make pretty much all the things.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Khajiit
    We are sweet
    With moon sugar to eat
    Also we sleep

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Khajiit
    We are sweet
    With moon sugar to eat
    Also we sleep

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Nice. Gotta say khajiit is the second best race after orc.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game!

Your questions are very broad, so rather than address a bunch of tips I'll point you to esoacademy.com. Game info...read their basics guides, it'll help get you started and adjusted from other MMOs.

Then some very specific tips based on your comments:

Races: in ESO, each race has racial passives that incline it to be a stamina or magic character. This is one of the few concrete rules in character creation. For example, an Altmer (high elf) has all magic passives. They would make a great magic character in any class. They would stink as a stamina character.

There's no race comparable to WoW's gnomes...the underground mechanics in ESO are all, sadly, long dead. (Or rather, mysteriously vanished). Wood elves are teeny tiny. And Khajiit can be made to be pretty damn small. Either make good stam toons. My friend made a Breton magic Templar that seems like he's 4' 6", lol.

Range: there are a wide variety of ranged skills in both stamina and magic in all classes and in various weapon lines. You'll be able to build a great range toon. In stamina I'd first consider a stam bow nightblade or warden, in magic a magsorc...those offer some really awesome range builds.

Climate: most of Tamriel is warm and/or tropical. There's actually a surprising lack of snow zones. Your character's will choose a faction at creation. The warmest faction is probably Aldmeri Dominion...it's all jungle, forrests, and like Southern California climates. But you can go anywhere on the map, so faction choice isn't that imperative. And unlike skyrim, you can pretty much totally avoid snow zones if you want.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there! Seems you have a certain set of skills and a specific set of requirements Hehe. It's all good since having to be able to choose what you want out of a game is crucial to having fun.

A lot of the posters above have posted wonderful advices so do take note of it. I however would like to invite you to my guild https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/307726/of-wolf-and-raven-a-casual-solo-friendly-guild-beginners-and-veterans-welcome#latest which focuses primarily on new player experience and help them out find their feet in eso. We do have dungeon runs, trials (raids equivalent in wow) and other events planned out for the year. Check us out and decide for yourself if we are the right fit for you.

There have been significant improvements to the game so some online info might not be as updated as some so confer with us at any time if you need help
    Edited by RavenSworn on June 9, 2017 10:12PM
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!