Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Major Sorcery

kalarro
kalarro
✭✭✭
Hello,

I have been browsing items and skills, trying to make a good soloing build for my templar, and there is something I don't get.

Major Sorcery: +20% spell damage.
Sources:
Mages Guild, Entropy (+morphs)
Nightblade, Sap Essence (Drain Power)
Sorcerer, Power Surge (Surge)

+20% spell damage sounds like a total must for any magic damage dealer. How is it possible that Entropy is not in every magic templar build?
Also, I've seen theres a set, Rattlecage, that gives permanent major sorcery.

Wouldnt the skill or the set be mandatory for casters? I dont see them in any guide
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably because you get Empower and Major Prophecy from Sun Fire and Solar Flare.

Most end up getting Major Sorcery from Spell power potions.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because you get Empower and Major Prophecy from Sun Fire and Solar Flare.

Well, as long as as the 3 stack, which I think they do, the only argument would be the potion. But it looks wierd to me that most builds waste 1 slot in each bar doubleslotting inner light for a 5% mana boost (major profecy is already applied by reflective light), and they dont use 1 slot for a 20 sec major sorcery skill. Which btw would also improve some magues guild passives.

Im not saying guides are wrong, Im a newbie, I want an explanation on why this skill/buff which looks so awesome is in no guide at all.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any named buff won't stack. Major sorcery can only be applied once. The reason most templar builds won't have entropy is because they are using spellpower pots on cooldown. As for why inner light is so popular, max magicka factors into damage dealt.
  • kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Any named buff won't stack. Major sorcery can only be applied once. The reason most templar builds won't have entropy is because they are using spellpower pots on cooldown. As for why inner light is so popular, max magicka factors into damage dealt.

Thanks, so, if I don't use potions for soloing, I should definately use Entropy for a 20% damage boost? Or the Rattlecage set
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kalarro wrote: »
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Thanks, so, if I don't use potions for soloing, I should definately use Entropy for a 20% damage boost? Or the Rattlecage set

Either of those two options are good. If you run rattlecage (farmed from Vaults of Madness dungeon in Coldharbour), try to get neck and rings, as you'll probably want 5 pieces of light armor for your mage. Or, take the easy way out (like me!) And run structured entropy.

Happy hunting!
  • kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation @DocFrost72 I will definately get that skill.
    Even counting on potions that would make the skill useless if used on cooldown, I can't believe guides don't even mention a skill that gives +20% damage.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, as long as as the 3 stack, which I think they do, the only argument would be the potion. But it looks wierd to me that most builds waste 1 slot in each bar doubleslotting inner light for a 5% mana boost (major profecy is already applied by reflective light), and they dont use 1 slot for a 20 sec major sorcery skill. Which btw would also improve some magues guild passives.

Im not saying guides are wrong, Im a newbie, I want an explanation on why this skill/buff which looks so awesome is in no guide at all.

It's a DPS loss to use a skill to buff your damage when you could otherwise get it from a potion, which doesn't interfere with skill cooldown. I use spell power pots for things like raids and vMA. If I were to do pledges I'd use Entropy.
    Even counting on potions that would make the skill useless if used on cooldown, I can't believe guides don't even mention a skill that gives +20% damage.

20% more spell power doesn't come even close to +20% damage, it's probably less than +10% damage.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

20% more spell power doesn't come even close to +20% damage, it's probably less than +10% damage.

Skill doesnt say +20% spell power. I would see your point then, since spell power increases damage and the buff would only increase that bonus.
    But it says +20% spell damage. I'd say unless very misleading tooltip, that should be pretty close to +20% damage to spells.
    Edited by kalarro on June 7, 2017 4:36PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Skill doesnt say +20% spell power. I would see your point then, since spell power increases damage and the buff would only increase that bonus.
    But it says +20% spell damage. I'd say unless very misleading tooltip, that should be pretty close to +20% damage to spells.

Spell Damage is a stat on your character sheet. It is just a name. Don't read too much into it. It is part of the calculation of actual damage done, but far from the entire actual damage. Max magicka, spell damage stat, critical percentage, critical damage multiplier, spell penetration, CP distribution, etc., etc., are all part of the calculation that determines the actual damage you do. Yes, the naming of "spell damage" is a little confusing. Just pretend the stat is called "X" or something.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That is because spell has no meaning in terminology of ESO. What you consider 'spell'' are abilities or skills, because you would not consider throwing dagger as spell. It increases that number in your character sheet that says "spell damage' and that is only part of damage calculation of skills (resources -> magicka or stamina are another)
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Anytime! And yes as others have said, the reason most use a potion instead of the skill is that a skill can be activated to do damage WHILE drinking a potion, and it increases damage to not have to refresh it every 20 seconds. (Potion uptime is 47 at max level with passives)

Potions are a dps jump, but unless you're trying for a leaderboard VMA score or trial score, you can get by fine without them. I don't use them and my dang bow build is pulling 30k (give or take depending on the fight).

Edited by DocFrost72 on June 7, 2017 5:11PM
  • kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Dagoth_Rac and @SodanTok I see what you mean now. Ill have to test the skill and see the numbers. Wish this game had test dummies not worth a million, like any other mmo ¬¬ Well, some random mob will have to pay for it ^^
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Inner light provides Major Prophecy so you don't have to rely on reflective light, and its constant. Never runs out. Never has to be applied.
    the 5% mana boost is the Morph
    :#
    Edited by barney2525 on March 10, 2021 12:35AM
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've long thought the same things...save a slot and use an armor power instead, but that's just not the general consensus on how it's done. I ran Degeneration for a long time, but eventually went the Spell power route instead.