Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help my templar solo content

kalarro
kalarro
✭✭✭
Hello. I Play only alone because I got a baby and don't want to leave my team alone in the middle of anything. I'm at the point where I would like to start soloing easy group content, but I need some help
Yesterday I tried to solo the Hircine hunt dvelve, the one with werevolves inside. I managed the trash pretty ok, died 2 times but that's fine. But the boss... wtf he oneshotted me. I tried only 3 times because I had no chance. No time to heal, nothing. Maybe it wasn't oneshot, but almost, and with the adds too, I couldnt do anything but spam shield and die a few seconds later.

So, I need to know how to improve my templar for soloing. My char is like this:

Breton Templar
235cp
Full magic (I know I lack health, but all guides tell you to go full magic so I'd like to get health from somewhere else)
On the main bar I use destruction staff with:
wall of elements, puncturin strikes, reflective light, harness magika and inner light for the buff
On the second bar I just got some heals and buffs with a restoration staff (can be improved, but right now against that boss I dont even have time to swap bars)

My gear is some blue sets, with the usual +magika +spell crit +mana reg and so on. Dont even remember which. Sure, they are not the ones from the guides, but at the end they add more or less the same type of set bonuses.

My problem #1 is my low hp. I got 11700 unbuffed. Guides say I need about 17k, not sure if counting buffs or not. Where would be the best place to improve my hp? Change sets for sets with hp bonuses? Or maybe runes?

I'm not sure if that would be enough tho. I get killed so fast. 17k health would help, but still...
My damage to the boss, in the short time I had, didn't look to do much to him either.

Wierd thing is, there's so much difficulty beteween the trash and the boss. I kill them pretty fast and although I dided 2 times, it was always because of a bad timed CC.

Any help to make my templar a nice soloer please?

Ty
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Best way to improve your health is to use a food or drink which you didn't mention so assume your not. Max health and Max Magika food (bunny hash recipe additional 5.3k health and 4.9k mag) would almost get you to 17k health. You could also use witchmothers brew which is slightly less health and magika but more regen which is nice for sustain this patch.

Additionally if you max out your undaunted skill line and wear a light, medium and heavy piece all your stats get boosted by 6%.

Finally you can use a set like Twice Born that gives extra health but wouldn't recommend or maybe Skoria monster set that gives extra health. Ice Heart can be really useful for extra defence too with the shield procing a lot.

Skills wise I still use dual wield and 2nd bar inferno and don't have sustain issues with witchmothers brew.

I run

Bar 1 sweeps, purifying light, radiant destruction, harness and inner light with shooting star
    Bar 2 blockade, vampires bane, blazing spear, channeled focus (must have) and inner light with Destro ult.

Gear wise Julianos, Skoria, 3 willpower jewlerry and 2 torugs pact swords and VMA staff but any crafted is fine.

• kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips @Parrot1986
    You think that improving health would be enough to solo that boss? Or maybe Im setting the bar too high?
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually just started going through Craglorn too and got through that one on my own so it's doable. I'm 400cp so not Max either.

Getting health to 16k is fine as long as you keep shields up and try and avoid damage where possible. Save ultimate when you know adds spawn at a boss.

I'd drop the resto, you have breath of life which is more than enough healing. Either go double Destro or dual wield and Destro. Some more damage skills are probably needed, no point in staying alive if the boss isn't dying.

Between harness magika, breath of life if needed, sweeps and channeled focus you should be pretty good for keeping yourself alive. Channelled focus especially since it gives you minor mending and a resistance buff as well is really nice.

If your on PC eu message though and can help out since needing to do that content. in game is @Parrot86
  • kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again @Parrot1986

Thing is, I don't think more damage skills would benefit me on the second bar at the point I am right now. Sure, some dots there would improve my dps. But while I'm still dying so fast, I see no point. First I need to survive longer, then I can think about a better dps rotation.

Thanks for your offer to help with the content, but since I usually cant team up, my goal is managing to get my char to a point where I can solo such content. If I can whisper you a few questions ingame that would be awesome tho.

First I will try to focus on your hp tips. What hp buffed did you have more or less when soloing it?
    Then if I don't die so fast, I'll check if I can actually start taking his hp down, and adjust my dps accordingly (I know it's also too low, but I can't even test it dieing so fast:P)
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eat some max health/magicka food and morph Puncturing Strikes to Puncturing Sweeps. Puncturing sweeps heals you for a percentage of the damage done.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seems you've already gotten some good advice so I'll just outline it once again - definitely do use food, it makes a world of difference. The 17k health guides are talking about is with food. If you still feel it's too low feel free to swap some enchants to health and get to 20k or so, that works too.

Are you using Channeled Focus? It's a really great skill, not only it gives you magicka back(it's like 500 free magicka regeneration) but it also buffs your physical and spell resistances. Now this won't affect shields but when your shield goes down you will be a little bit harder to one shot.

Feel free to ask anything else, hope this helps some :)
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also recommend going Dual Wield (must be 2 swords) and Destro as the DW bar will allow you to run two 5 piece sets + a full monster set.

The DW bar has your spammables and execute while the destro bar has your dots and buffs.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough, I'm around 16-17k although I cleared VMA a little over 15k health and 210 CP mainly so health isn't the most important thing.

By knowing where damage is coming from and avoiding it plus a Templar has a great benefit of doing damage to stay alive with sweeps I think this matters more than anything. Make sure you use channeled focus though if not already. The resistance bluff alone makes it really useful for keeping yourself alive with harness magika.
    kalarro wrote: »
    Thanks again @Parrot1986

Thing is, I don't think more damage skills would benefit me on the second bar at the point I am right now. Sure, some dots there would improve my dps. But while I'm still dying so fast, I see no point. First I need to survive longer, then I can think about a better dps rotation.

Thanks for your offer to help with the content, but since I usually cant team up, my goal is managing to get my char to a point where I can solo such content. If I can whisper you a few questions ingame that would be awesome tho.

First I will try to focus on your hp tips. What hp buffed did you have more or less when soloing it?
    Then if I don't die so fast, I'll check if I can actually start taking his hp down, and adjust my dps accordingly (I know it's also too low, but I can't even test it dieing so fast:P)

• kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Magdalina , @Elephant42 and @Parrot1986

I didnt use channeled focus on that fight, Ill try again using it.

With food Im at 18k hp, so I guess that's done.
    I never thought about the benefit of having an extra item for set bonuses by dual wielding, that's cool, I'll switch to it, already got 2 decent swords.

Do you know of a good group boss thats faster to reach than the hircine dvelve I mentioned? So I can test faster? I have to clear quite some trash to reach that one.