Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stamplar or Stam Warden?

Najjynn
Najjynn
✭✭
Hi folks,
I'm looking for some advice on a solid stam class for both PvE (emphasis on VMA / Trials) and for PvP. I've narrowed down my choices between a Stamplar and Stam Warden (based on playstyle preferences). I do have a DK, but pretty much exclusively play him as Mag, as such, unless there are significant comments to the contrary, I'd like to keep the discussion between Stamplar and Stam Warden.

For those of you who have played both, what are your thoughts on either for viability in (1) trials; (2) VMA; and (3) PvP -- e.g., BGs, Ava. Particularly, I'm interested in particular order: (1) DPS output; (2) Sustainability; and (3) Survivability (from self heals, etc.). Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wardens are too new...the expert math nerd players haven't had time to optimize them, test dps, re-optimize, etc. Plus we might expect some significant balancing changes to Wardens if they over or under perform...whichever is better today, this might not be the case by the end of summer.

My guess based on the builds we are seeing pop up is that stam Wardens will have slightly more dps and better resource management than stamplars, with less sustain. And because of jabs, I think we might find the two to beat each other depending on single target or aoe. (And remember, stamplar end game aoe is going to change too because of massive changes to caltrops).
  • Najjynn
    Najjynn
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the response. First, could you clarify the comment that stam wardens will have better resources management, with less sustain? And with respect to your comment on change to caltrops -- will this hurt or help stamplars? Thanks!
    Edited by Najjynn on June 6, 2017 12:35AM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltrops is getting a 50% reduction in cost and 75% increase in damage. It will not last as long, and the radius will be slightly smaller. This is going to be a major buff to all stam builds...it offers them a significant aoe skill for mobs. I haven't tested it yet to see dps output, but it's cropping up as a skill in all of the expert's pve builds.

Resource management

Be advised that I'm making an educated guess, based on my experience and the builds I'm seeing pop up. But this patch is MASSIVE changes. I am not 100% certain about how the various classes will settle out. And I'm suspecting that there will be fine tuning in patches...so even if we know in a week how classes perform, this might change next update if someone is over or under performing.

Wardens have the netch ability and a passive called natures gift, which restores stam/mag upon a heal. Templars have repentance. I'm also looking at the Warden go-to abilities versus stamplars. Wardens get a little better magic dumps, and stamplars have always been challenging with resource management. Stamplars are just so easy to spam away your whole pool. So that's where I'm guessing Wardens edge slightly ahead, but I could be wrong.

Sustain

I'm betting Stamplars perform slightly better based on the sheer power of repentence. It's changing, but I think for self sustain it's still going to be the best ability in the game. Wardens have heals, but a lot are support heals. There is nothing that leads me to believe they're going to have poor sustain, I'm just not seeing anything that quite compares with the stamplar's list of choices. Lotus Blossom is the heal I'm seeing pop up on stamden builds. It sounds good...but a little less functional than repent.
  • Najjynn
    Najjynn
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it!
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden. Lots off buffs and no little circle to stand in to get them.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)