Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Banker and The Merchant

revela68
revela68
Soul Shriven
Can you acquire the banker or merchant in game? Without spending $40 each.
  • freedom3128
    No. The only character you can collect is the thief that allows access to fencing items.
    American server, Breton Templar healer/support, PSN ID: freedom3128
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, crowns only.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • EttinTheBreton
    EttinTheBreton
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a nice friend who is in a party with you, then you are able to use their banker or merchant. That's helpful during World Boss (WB) runs, where one of your party members has the banker or merchant.
    Best,
    Ettin
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While they are crown-only items, they are such a awesome quality of life improvement. Great for grind sessions or if you're too lazy to head into town to sell/bank (like me!).
  • revela68
    revela68
    Soul Shriven
    That's why there's no storage in housing they want you to pay $40 just to store your stuff in your own house... thnx guy's im learning
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just know that the merchant cannot repair your gear so she is of limited value.

Similarly, the banker cannot access guild banks.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Taran
    Taran
    ✭✭
    only crowns
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Just know that the merchant cannot repair your gear so she is of limited value.

Similarly, the banker cannot access guild banks.

Can the banker access your guild(s) trader?
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

I think not, but let me quickly point out that I'm not sure since I do not belong to a trading guild. I hope that someone else can definitively confirm this or correct me if I'm in error. :)

• VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

Nope.

Unfortunately, the banker can access your bank and your bank only - not your guild banks or their associated guild trader functions.

The merchant can only buy things from you - she won't repair.

The in-game Thieves Guild reward, the fence, will buy your stolen items from you, but at a terrible cost (she takes a 30% cut), and sales to her still count toward your daily limit of sold/fenced items.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit found the price of both the banker and merchant very high but did eventually get them both.

They are useful on long dungeon runs when you have more loot than you can deal with yes.

Also both can be placed and used in your home. The merchant lady is also the barkeep at the tavern this one owns in Bangkorai. The banker is kept in the stables at Castle Claws just so this one can say she has one of those grumpy elves as a servant.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have the banker and love it. Major help. Especially when we had the anniversary event and I was doing a ton of writs. I could just keep crafted consumables stacked in my bank.

I have 6500 crowns and am trying to decide whether to buy merchant, get last 2 character slots, or just save.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on June 7, 2017 7:06AM
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    I have both. I was very disappointed that they lacked those base abilities, no repair and no guild bank/store. But still they've been invaluable. When farming dolmen and world bosses. Makes saving good gear you find a breeze and by being able to sell. You don't need to leave to empty your pockets constantly. I use them a lot. Just wish they could do those last two things.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VoodooPlatypus - thanks for the confirmation on the banker limitations!

I don't rule out the merchant when, at some point, my crownpurse is flusher than it is. I do have the banker though and the creative possibilities are great. Too much loot? Pass all the excess to the banker. When next in town, any one of your characters can decon and sell stuff given to the banker. Banker also lets me carry less supplies because I know that getting some more food/soul gems, alternate weapons etc is simply a couple clicks away.

New character? Craft and stage a nice level 1 weapon with the banker so as soon as new character starts game, they can get the type weapon they intend to use immediately.

Nice uncrowded town with everything you need to be a good 'retrofit' area - except a bank? Ebonheart, I'm lookin' at you. Personal banker to the rescue.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 7, 2017 12:15PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree with the others that the Banker is really a good addition to your kit, if you have the Crowns. He's so handy to pop out whenever you find that, whoops, your inventory's full, or when you need to quickly pass an item between characters who may not have easy access to a town.

My friends even know I have the Banker and make good use of him on dungeon runs, asking me to pull him out when they fill up their inventory, so he's great for social play, too.

The Merchant, I have less need for, though I see why people get her. People who do Dolmen runs, for example, often seem to have her tailing along, since they tend to accumulate a lot of useless loot in a short time. Personally, I find that the Banker is more than enough, but that's because he suits my playstyle.

At least one is worth the investment, if you have the money to spend on Crowns.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • MrsPink
    MrsPink
    ✭✭✭
    I have both, and even though they are not a fully working merchant or banker, they are so worth it imo. To be able to take out the merchant to sell off loot when youre farming is awesome. No need to travel back and forth to a city. Or inside dungeons when your inventory suddenly are full. Same goes for the banker. One thing is to be able to put stuff you want to keep in your bank, another is the easiness of moving inventory from one character to another. To be able to take the banker out when you are at a crafting station out in nowhere is especially good.
    GM of Dark Royalty
    PS4 EU
    Karma's just sharpening her nails and finishing her drink. She says she'll be with you shortly.
  • revela68
    revela68
    Soul Shriven
    It reminds me when they tried to charge gamers for skyrim mods they finally get what they wish for good job bethesda...
  • sjaeger172004rwb17_ESO
    Are these bind on account or need to buy for each character?

Thanks
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these bind on account or need to buy for each character?

Thanks

Once you buy them all your travellers on the account will be able to use them.

Same as with mounts and costumes yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • revela68
    revela68
    Soul Shriven
    Haha! paid mods coming this summer...
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im still waiting for the day a combined one that can also access guild traders and repair is available. They really are just a rip off as they are now.