The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Secret of the Ayleids - concept art

koolkitty1223b14a_ESO
koolkitty1223b14a_ESO
Soul Shriven
So, I've spent a tremendous amount of time studying the lost civilizations of Nirn. In this time, I've culminated all of what I know into trying to crack the secret of the Ayleids. Where did they come from? What is their story? How come some cultures revere them as mighty politician/warlords/sorcerers while others deem them as evil? What fundamental knowledge about Nirn and it's magic died with their race?

After several years of study, I'm confident that I have answered most of these questions to the best of my ability. (if anyone has a specific curiosity feel free to message me for further info)

THIS IS JUST A CONCEPT
BUT

After reading a fragment of ancient lore it all began to fall into place.

ENTER: Father of Niben

If you haven't t read this bit of lore, I insist you Google it this second and check it out for yourself. Because (SPOILER ALERT) if my calculations and timelines are correct, this guy Topal the Pilot, father of Niben is also the father of the Ayleid race. He sailed to Tamriel in search of his ancient and lost homeland of old Elnofey. Right up the river into what is now cyrodiil he went. Topal talks about his discovery of a beautiful, but uncivilized bird race. He was enchanted by the bird folk, for they also had knowledge of dawn era magic. Until this point, his race were the only ones left who had this knowledge(Aldmer) he stayed for a long time, taught them about language, politics, and warfare. They made him their lord. He returned to where he started his voyage (Summerset isles) after promising the bird folk he would return some day. Shortly after his return to Summerset he was exiled (despite the exotic furs and tokens he brought back) for some reason.

Fragment fragment fragment, it appears he fled back to cyrodiil

More fragment

Bird folk dissappear, ayleids appear.

You see, my theory is Topal got a bit kinky during his voyage (BIG NO NO - BREEDING OUTSIDE ALDMER BLOODLINE) and had inadvertently started a whole new race of half bird, half elf, super smart, super magical hybrids. The Ayleids. This news would most definitely illicit an excile, and most likely a mass extermination plot to rid the world of Topal's "blasphemy".

Is it sinking in for you?

Notice the bird symbolism
Notice the bird like features on statues and in art.
Notice the winged furnishings and armor.

Crazy stuff. The timeline was the hardest part to put together because of the seemingly static dates and times of events. This can all be explained by the dragon break. (another long long story)

Anyway, without further adu, I present to you folks my concept of what these bird folk looked like as topal came ashore that fateful day. Let's call it, Mother of the Ayleids (their race is not mentioned anywhere else in lore, simply - bird folk)

This creature is 90% finished, but it's enough to give you all an idea of what I see in my minds eye!

What do you all think?

owf9mf03brpo.jpg