The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Best way to tank with templar ?

Reedx
Reedx
✭✭✭
Am a healer, but want to be able to tank sometimes, whats the best way (Skillsets,Armorsets, Glypth) Champ points ?
Maker of Drama & Lover of Roleplay
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could have a look at a special Magicka Templar Build from Deltia, the "Atlas Tank", where you're gonna both heal and tank. Works pretty well for 4 man Dungeons..

I recommend queueing with at least one dps buddy who sets his role to 'healer', as there's no need for a redundant healer.
  • Reedx
    Reedx
    ✭✭✭
    Well wondring on the best skill set tho, both those at the templer skill line, and other
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    tbh dungeons (except DLC dungeons) are so easy you'll be fine with a taunt, BoL and whatever else happens to be on your bar.

Here's what's on my bars...
    - Taunts: Pierce Armor (1h/s) + Inner Rage (undaunted)
    - Armor skills to proc Armor Master: Shuffle and Harness Magicka
    - BoL: main heal, but mostly for your buddies, not for yourself
    - Puncturing Sweeps will heal you and do a little damage
    - Restoring Focus is great and should be up 100%
    - Spear Shards helps getting initial aggro from mob groups + an Aedric Spear skill on your active bar increases block potential (Spear Wall passive)
    - Ritual of Retribution works also to grab initial aggro and adds a little healing and dmg as well

Flex:
    - Focused Charge is nice to interrupt casters (works great in CoS, 2nd boss) or for fast movement (works great in CoS, 4th boss)
    - Radiant Aura helps your and your mag dds magicka recovery (and also works as an initial aggro grab in mob groups), Repentance on the other hand is a 'free heal', which is also very nice..
    - Cleanse helps in CoS, last boss - but is very costly, so use with care

My Ultimates are Warhorn and one of the Sweep Morphs (the latter only for the Spear Wall passive) or the 1h/shield ulti which is sometimes nice to have to reduce damage for a few seconds while you recast your focus and aura and throw a spear for your stam dd(s).
  • Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭
    You can do it but it is not fun and it requires 100x as much work than a dragonknight or the Warden. Just check my previous posts as reasons why. We have no AoE cc, our self heals have been nerfed to oblivion, our group utility has been eradicated, our defensive abilities cost a lot of magicka, we have 3 whole skill lines that are under performers and even the skill lines don't know what the hell they are. Warden is a better tank and healer.

And I know, I know, you like the theme and want to give it a try. Trust me I've done it. My Templar has been my main since I started. I hate that he can't do his role as a tank effectively as a DK or a Warden. I love the theme of a holy warrior tank but Templars are THE worst designed class in video game history. I'm telling you. A tanks job is not simply to survive (which requires more work on a Templar) but a tanks job is also to control enemies and keep their teammates protected. A Templar simply can NOT do this effectively.

DragonKnights were king, but now the Warden is.
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    Arbitrator wrote: »
    Mumbo-Jumbo Gibberish and Lies

I've run a templar tank main since Beta. There are a LOT of ways to accomplish it. You want a reliable heal tanker, try this setup:

Attribute:
    Health 24, Mag 30, Stam 10 (adjust for racial passives as desired) -- no need to put it ALL into hp.

Armor sets: Alessiasx4, Rattlecagex5, Health Willpower x3 with Mag Recovery
    5 Heavy, 2 Light (for the recovery/cost reductions)

Bar (order as you prefer):
    Front:
    Radiant Ward OR Blazing Shield (both work fine, Ward is a bit more tank)
    Pierce Armor (don't bother with ransack, Pierce gives a nice buff to your stam and mag dps both)
    Ritual of Retribution
    Purifying Light (flex spot)
    Structured Entropy

Ult: Empowered Sweeps (the 19% (1 target) less damage taken adds a lot of tank, stacks with your shield AND applies along with resistances -- lasts 10s, easy to keep up about 50% of the time)

Back:
    Radiant Aura (proc for mag steal, flex spot)
    Inner Fire (no morph needed)
    Channeled Focus
    Spear Shards
    Structured Entropy

Ult: Flex -- Sweeps works, but can carry Remembrance also for an AoE "Oh-Shipped!" button

Keeping purifying light up on as many targets as possible will let you overlay the HoT from it in trash pulls, Ward/Shield works fine as an AoE grab, soft CC in the form of a slow with ritual of retribution (Mr. Blah-blah-whine above is right in that we lack a hard snare cc).

Radiant Aura+Spear shards will proc the mag steal for you, and can be used for initial aggro also. Can replace Radiant with Explosive Charge for a nice AoE engage/gap close also, though a bit costly.

Structured Entropy IS a flex spot -- its nice with Mages Guild passives and 5% more hp along with it (the primary reason, since if you are using rattlecage, you already have major sorcery). When not using it, I tend to just pop either Radiant Glory on the back bar with Healing Ritual on the front bar, or Healing Ritual front with Honor the Dead on the back (for emergency heals)

You can now keep up HoTs with Ritual and Purifying procs, some damage with purifying (plus target calling if your party is aware of it), minor sorcery from purifying since its a Dawn's Wrath skill, and depending on which you use either a consistent HoT incoming on you from Structured Entropy (pop it on as many targets as you can to amplify this ) or burst heals with the Ritual/Honor combos.

Double bar sword/board, defending/divines works wonderfully, and pick the mundus you want most -- Ritual for slightly bigger heals (not needed most times, as you are supplemental healing), Atronach for mag recovery (very helpful). Defending Weapon for more resistances, or if you are comfortable with it, use powered instead for more heal % (again, not really needed).

Optional: Give up some HoT from purifying light, and slot Radiant Ward and Harness Magicka -- the shields do stack up together.

Other optional skills:
    Defensive Posture -- for a little more blocking and that nice reflect over minor heal
    Low Slash -- for minor maim + extra ult generation
    Vamp's Bane/Reflective Light -- for a little more pull/ranged options
    Dark Flare -- if you want to be able to defile
    Solar Barrage (other morph) -- if you aren't worried about defile and just want another AoE burst skill to help generate initial aggro.

Invest in mag recovery, heavy weave attacks to maintain your stam, and avoid overcasting as much as possible -- you don't need to keep radiant/blazing up 100% of the time, just use it for initial aggro or to help absorb the biggest hits/buy time to heavy attack/buffer while casting channels.

This set up will put you at (or above) caps for resistance since Alessia's adds to physical resistances, good hp, reasonable mag pool with good recovery, group utility for mag via dawn's wrath casts and radiant active, good utility with stam dps since you have your own shards going out as well for them to synergize on, plus depending what you slot some emergency options via Honor the Dead/Remembrance. Nova is also a decent option for when you want to reduce damage to the whole group while adding in some damage, but I personally prefer Sweeps.

Between food buffs and gear enchants, get to 28-30k hp (easy enough to do) and the rest can go into mag recovery.

Remember, your goal isn't to taunt EVERYTHING, it's to keep taunt up on the MOST DANGEROUS.

Let the DPS deal with the trash while you isolate the threats.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanking with a Templar.... earn a ton of gold and then pay a DK to tank for you. Btw I have played a Templar for over 3000 hours you cannot get enough stam back to keep blocking. You can certainly do simple stuff with an Argonian Templar tank. But you would need another Templar to feed you shards.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use seducer 3 transmutation jewelry and 2 willows path with engine guardian. Maelstrom resto.High elf.

Front bar: BOL inner fire extended ritual repentance channeled focus shield wall
    Back bar: BOL Mist form combat prayer entropy mutagen resto staff ultimate

Fantastic magic sustain for infinite BOL. E.g. Repentance and tripot will keep your stam in great shape depending on the DPS.

I use this to tank VDSA regularly. 3 DPS.

Can't seem to find a defending SPC 1h. I can tank with seducer and SPC once I get this but can use the sharpened I have depending on the round.

Tri glyphs on all gear. 28k max magic 30k mac health 19k max stam.

One of the DPS is usually a nightblade with mark target or ele drain.
    Edited by Koolio on May 31, 2017 4:20PM
  • Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭
    Vajrak wrote: »
    Arbitrator wrote: »
    Mumbo-Jumbo Gibberish and Lies

Trust me. This guy isn't helping his group out as well as a DragonKnight or Warden. Sure he's keeping HIMSELF alive, but he's not bringing anything else to the group.

He's recommending solar barrage as an optional initial Aggro generator lolwut try to hold threat while a dps casts volley... solar barrage is a waste of magicka considering puncturing sweeps can proc Burning Light passive, deals more damage, is an AoE just like solar barrage, snares targets, and it heals you for a percentage of the damage dealt. Also note 4 of his ability slots are non-Templar skill lines. He's having to go out of class, to make his build work.

I've tanked since launch as a Templar main. It can be done, but not as well as a DragonKnight or Warden.

Like he said you don't have to taunt it all. But guess what? Dragonknight can immobilize them all with talons, also while applying Minor Maim to them reducing damage enemies deal to EVERYONE by 15%, which means he doesn't HAVE to taunt them all lol. He can just immobilize them over and over, keep flame dots up, and only has to burn stamina to taunt the big guys who are resistant to CC (and blocking/roll dodging).

Warden can immobilize them all with ice shards and only has to burn stamina for taunting big guys (and blocking/roll dodging). Can apply major maim to them all with portal...

What can Templar do? Oh we can taunt big guys to conserve stamina, all the while the little guys beat the hell out of our friends and we can't do anything about it. Or we can burn through our stamina, get CC'd by adds cause we burnt through our stamina trying to help our friends, then we lose threat anyways while we are CC'd but now we are out of stamina so we can't taunt.

Seriously man. Open your eyes.

We get Breath of life? It costs a *** ton of mana. DragonKnights get Green Dragon Blood which is a good spammable self heal. Wardens get a whole healing tree and tank wardens get a spammable cheap cost maximum health heal! The selling point of Breath of Life WAS the fact that I could use it to clutch heal a teammate that the healer couldn't react to in time, or I could maybe clutch heal the healer if they got CC'd. But guess what? Now Breath of Life is a cone which means I have to be right next to my ally to save them... if I turn a boss towards allies guess what happens? They get hit by the bosses conal attacks.

Warden gets absorb, DragonKnights get reflect... we get eclipse. A broken skill that can't even be used defensively on targets immune to CC, i.e. Bosses/big adds. Again the selling point of eclipse is the fact that we put the reflect on the target instead of ourselves, therefore it's supposed to protect allies and ourselves, but it can't be reliably used on nearly 80% of content in the game.

Remembrance got nerfed to only give the user damage reduction now instead of your whole group.

We lost the single target CC from spear shards, and now everyone has access to the synergy through the undaunted skill line, when we used to have a unique synergy.

I mean I can sit here all day and compare what everyone's got but if you just look at the skill lines you will see Templars are THE worst designed class in gaming history.

I'm not even trying to be rude. I love the theme of Templar. Zenimax just doesn't know how to balance and make things fun and/or fair. Templars don't have *** man. Seriously man just compare and you will see. We need to be asking for a rework instead of settling for the worst class ever made. Why defend mediocreness? We should be able to shine at any role just like these other classes. I'm sick of being on the bottom playing as a Templar.
  • Reedx
    Reedx
    ✭✭✭
    Thx alot guys =) ! you have given me alot to think about, but just so you guys understand, my main focus is to heal so no worrys there, its just when i bored of healing or my group have a healer and need a tank that want to be able to tank for them, but i see here its alot of work for a templar to tank...... very sad tho, ESO was souposed to be abot freedom, but if you want to be good or best at what you do, seems that you must be a certian class witch is very sad, btw i am a old eso player but droped out for over two years ago. played DK back in the days, but maybe i should make a new alt with warden, but then i must buy Morrowind... hmm chocies. what to do. But anyway thx for the help, if i put some work to it, it seems that i can do a little of tanking for time to time.

Sry for bad english, from norway
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have good success with the following on my Templar:

5 pc Leeching Plate
    5 pc Bahara's Curse
    2 pc Swarm Mother

All of my CP are into healing, so most of the time our healer just acts as a third damage dealer.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though my magplar's a healer, she does get pulled into soft tanking for younger players sometimes vs a WB - so the info in here is helpful.

Also, her primary focus of attention is always the tank whenever there is one around so she wants to know as much about their needs/concerns as she can in order to better help them.

This is a very informative thread with plenty of great info. :)

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Skyper, don't let Arbitrator intimidate you..
    Of course DK has utility skills a templar tank would love to have, but tbh all I ever hear is "chains" and "talons" over and over again. Neither of that is mandatory if you tank normal or vet dungeons!
    I wouldn't tank in trials, although I'm sure it has been done before, but what I gather from what you said you only want to tank from time to time, so there's no danger of you going into raids..!? ;)

In normal+vet dungeons all classes can be tanks. And all the dps out there will be happy if their GF queue pops a bit faster and they get a tank that taunts and can keep himself alive!

So go ahead, just try it.. start with normal dungeons until you feel comfortable, then move to vet dungeons and keep an eye on the one hitters. DDs and Healers in this game have to and will handle 1-2 mobs without dying, no problem.
    Chaining mobs into your DDs' AoEs will make your run a little faster, but the time saved will be eaten up multiple times by much longer queue times if only DKs queue as tanks.. ;)